Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: PC Card to USB is there such thing??

  1. #1
    Raw Wave EsKALad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,102

    PC Card to USB is there such thing??

    Basically i want to add a pc card(pcmcia) to my carputer..i dont have a port for pcmcia and i have only 1 pci slot..i seen pci slot adapters where you can slide in a pc card but it looks to be too tall to fit into my case. i can fit low profile pci slot. therefore i searched and searched for a pc card reader thats USB. basically i want to be able to use the Tmobile wireless LAN card doing it through usb hopefully..has anyone ever seen such a device? pc card=>adapter=> usb??? thats basically what im looking for..any ideas?

  2. #2
    Raw Wave wizardPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2,635
    It was explained to me this way:

    PCI bus = 133mbit
    USB1.1 bus = 12mbit
    USB2.0 bus ~ 480mbit

    It's possible, but no one makes them
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

  3. #3
    Raw Wave EsKALad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,102
    darn! well i want to use the internet for the carputer..i dont want to get a huge antenna or wardrive or look for a signal..omg it seems like too much hassle..id rather pay the 29.99 a month and get FULL internet on all the time from tmobile. the pc card is like 99 dollars..i asked if they make anything for desktops but no luuck..maybe if i bought a riser and positioned the pci adapter sideways and slide the pc card into it?? u think thatll work out?

  4. #4
    I'm sorry, and you are....? frodobaggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ruston, LA
    Posts
    8,846
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardPC
    It was explained to me this way:

    PCI bus = 133mbit
    USB1.1 bus = 12mbit
    USB2.0 bus ~ 480mbit

    It's possible, but no one makes them
    that PCI bus should be 133MB/s not 133mb/s
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

  5. #5
    Well, He asked for it. WebDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA (West LA)
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by EsKALad
    darn! well i want to use the internet for the carputer..i dont want to get a huge antenna or wardrive or look for a signal..omg it seems like too much hassle..id rather pay the 29.99 a month and get FULL internet on all the time from tmobile. the pc card is like 99 dollars..i asked if they make anything for desktops but no luuck..maybe if i bought a riser and positioned the pci adapter sideways and slide the pc card into it?? u think thatll work out?
    yea that would work... just get a ribbon riser. Ive been wanting to do the same but i will have to make a new case before it would fit...
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

  6. #6
    Raw Wave EsKALad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,102
    ribbon riser?? sorry first i ever heard of it..you have a link to what it is?? if not i will SEARCH. lol but if you have the info already it would be great!

  7. #7
    Well, He asked for it. WebDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA (West LA)
    Posts
    1,636
    The below link. ive used that company a lot before. with the ribbon you can make it so you can place the pci card exactly where you need it.

    http://www.servercase.com/miva/miva?...=1U%2F2U+Riser
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Eau Claire, Wi
    Posts
    206
    the ribbon riser is like a pci riser card but it has a flexable ribon cable in the middle. it can make it easier to position in your case. I have actually seen a usb to pc card adapter inside an outdoor wifi antenna. it looked like it would do what you want. unfortunately i cant remember who made the thing.
    System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

    Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

    Parts Needed: USB GPS

  9. #9
    Well, He asked for it. WebDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA (West LA)
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer64
    the ribbon riser is like a pci riser card but it has a flexable ribon cable in the middle. it can make it easier to position in your case. I have actually seen a usb to pc card adapter inside an outdoor wifi antenna. it looked like it would do what you want. unfortunately i cant remember who made the thing.
    i think its orinco. but i dont know the model they have it in.
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate Mad Ad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire UK
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by frodobaggins
    that PCI bus should be 133MB/s not 133mb/s

    Ahh, you took the thoughts right out of my head

    If anyone wants to work the math youll find that USB2s peak 480Mbit/s is only 60MB/s - well within the 133MB/s spec of the pci bus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PCI Radio card better than USB??
    By xtreme_db in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 11:27 PM
  2. USB Bandwidth Question - PCMCIA card to USB 2.0
    By timwiththebo in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
  3. Funny Thing... I was ordering a USB sound card when...
    By Phat Justice in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 01:53 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 10:52 AM
  5. USB Sound Card with ASIO driver and volume control
    By tbdombrosky in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 12:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •