new box locking on XP build
Biostar M7NCG-400 MicroATX board
Athlon XP-M 2200+ (35W)
512 MB A-Data (cheapy Newegg) memory (tested with Memtest86+, no errors)
80GB ATA100 HD (tested in an external enclosure, works normally)
220W PSU (supplied in case)
I am successfully able to boot from CD, and also boot from HD. I am able to repartition and reformat the HD as many times as I want, and also the DOS version of the XP setup works without incident (copying files over and so forth) After the DOS version is complete, and the system restarts, it will lock up anywhere from the fading in of the XP boot screen to the "Setup is now restarting" window. Sometimes it will get as far as a light blue (normal background, not BSOD) screen, where I will have USB mouse movement. I can move the mouse (there is nothing more on that screen) for about 3-4 minutes until that locks up as well, and the entire system is non-responsive. There is no HD activity when it locks. It appears when I first turn it on it will lock up earlier than when I am rebooting it.
When I was initially building it, I did not notice that one of the mobo standoffs was not keyed to a hole, and it was probably touching a trace or two. I have since put some electrical tape over the standoff, but the board was turned on a few times over the bare metal standoff. I have removed the HSF (Masscool 1U) to make sure there is no core damage, from what I can see I don't see any. I have tried the memory in all 3 slots with the same result. Currently there is nothing in the PCI slots.
Thus far I think the board's a bit screwy, but I am definitely open to suggestions and more troubleshooting advice. I
have not modded the board in any way.
//edit Following the directions in this thread, additional suggestions or flames are welcome :)