Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Laptop as carputer???

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1

    Laptop as carputer???

    Having never actually built a carputer, but several computers, n00b just wonderin how easy it would be to hook up touchscreen to a laptop and all that good stuff. Audio would be a breeze, almost easier runnin amp connections. Plus portibility just disconnectin it, seems like there would be alot of advantages.

    -Space
    -built in wireless
    -Portability
    -Power consumption

  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Do some searching and reading....
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert
    Do some searching and reading....
    what a lovely reply.


    actually i've been working the carputer project for a while and have had a hell of a time justifying anything besides a laptop.. many advantages... a nice 700m dell can be had for less than any bundle you can get for a mini-itx system. if you have the cab space consider the benefits.

    plus you don't have to configure the thing in your car.. you can make any updates or installs from the comfort of your couch. route planning, playlists, file syncs. especially if you don't have a parking spot within wireless range of your car. plus you get a laptop out of the deal.

    and even without the cabspace, i'm really considering the ls800 tablet pc from motion computing. of course it's double the price.. 8.4in tablet pc. a little small to use as a regular laptop. but damn sexy little machine..
    http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_ls.asp and actually seems thinner than a xenarc monitor.


    still not sure what i'm gonna do i keep pricing kits trying to talk my way into the cheaper option. i just don't wanna sit in the car to do installs or tweaking nor leave my car running to remote into it.. too many positives to not consider...

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by daMortarMerrier
    what a lovely reply.


    actually i've been working the carputer project for a while and have had a hell of a time justifying anything besides a laptop.. many advantages... a nice 700m dell can be had for less than any bundle you can get for a mini-itx system. if you have the cab space consider the benefits.

    plus you don't have to configure the thing in your car.. you can make any updates or installs from the comfort of your couch. route planning, playlists, file syncs. especially if you don't have a parking spot within wireless range of your car. plus you get a laptop out of the deal.

    and even without the cabspace, i'm really considering the ls800 tablet pc from motion computing. of course it's double the price.. 8.4in tablet pc. a little small to use as a regular laptop. but damn sexy little machine..
    http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_ls.asp and actually seems thinner than a xenarc monitor.


    still not sure what i'm gonna do i keep pricing kits trying to talk my way into the cheaper option. i just don't wanna sit in the car to do installs or tweaking nor leave my car running to remote into it.. too many positives to not consider...
    Actually that was a good response from Darque considering that there is a thread on the subject coming up every two weeks, and you can actually find 4 (four) threads on the subjects at the bottom of this screen.

    And by the way, did you consider how you are going to turn the computer on and off? Yeah, thought so.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate mugu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    119
    i have a button on my dead pedal that i push with my foot and it turns my laptop on.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by mugu
    i have a button on my dead pedal that i push with my foot and it turns my laptop on.
    Somehow i don't think that was standard part of either the laptop or the car
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  7. #7
    Unregistered User ODYSSEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA CarPC Ver3: [▓▒▒
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by rushnrockt
    there is a thread on the subject coming up every week, and you can actually find 4 (four) threads on the subjects at the bottom of this screen..
    Ditto

    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert
    Do some searching and reading....
    Ditto.
    ODYSSEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2
    i was just thinking you could have been a little more informative or don't reply at all. the response came off like his question wasn't even valid. didn't do anything but make it look like a forum of arses. why add to the community of that?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    Quote Originally Posted by daMortarMerrier
    what a lovely reply.


    actually i've been working the carputer project for a while and have had a hell of a time justifying anything besides a laptop.. many advantages... a nice 700m dell can be had for less than any bundle you can get for a mini-itx system. if you have the cab space consider the benefits.

    plus you don't have to configure the thing in your car.. you can make any updates or installs from the comfort of your couch. route planning, playlists, file syncs. especially if you don't have a parking spot within wireless range of your car. plus you get a laptop out of the deal.

    and even without the cabspace, i'm really considering the ls800 tablet pc from motion computing. of course it's double the price.. 8.4in tablet pc. a little small to use as a regular laptop. but damn sexy little machine..
    http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_ls.asp and actually seems thinner than a xenarc monitor.


    still not sure what i'm gonna do i keep pricing kits trying to talk my way into the cheaper option. i just don't wanna sit in the car to do installs or tweaking nor leave my car running to remote into it.. too many positives to not consider...
    laptops make an awsome carputer....most of the things that make them a good mobile machine make them a good mobile install..... & yeah... they are right because I must have said this 10 times in the last month alone....

    if you want to see a dell 700m intergrated check my install....

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate mugu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by rushnrockt
    Somehow i don't think that was standard part of either the laptop or the car
    Obviously not, 3$ temporary circuit switch from radio shack, and some extra phone cable laying around, and you have carleetness. :}

    ive made this post many times, so ill just do some referencing.

    Here it is finished in my 95 C 280

    Using a laptop as carputer

    extra button to start up carputer???

    and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using a laptop as carputer
    By assereto in forum Newbie
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 06:47 PM
  2. laptop carputer setup
    By geeoice in forum Newbie
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 07:25 PM
  3. Laptop Hard Drive in carputer...
    By Powers in forum Newbie
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 10:37 PM
  4. Need help with install of carputer using a laptop...
    By slimcubby in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. Using defective laptop as carputer
    By decube in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 07:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •