Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Problems making network cable

  1. #1
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516

    Unhappy Problems making network cable

    I got myself some 100m of network cable to run from my living room to my bedroom. The distance is like 6 meters. But I can't seem to make the cable correctly or something. Like I make the cable, plug it into my 5 port hub, and windows says aquiring adress, and then it says problem aquiring IP adress. My router is set up to use DHCP, so I don't see why it gets that problem.
    Guide I'm using
    Other guide I used
    Neither of these guides work...

    Anyone know the problem?

    BTW: I tried "ipconfig /renew", and it times out

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate 84RegalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    427
    You crimping hard enough and making sure the ends reach all the way to the end of the connector. Cuz if you have one of the cheaper crimping tools it wants to pust pressure on 1 side so like the last 1-2 wires on the other side dont go thru the insul and dont make contact. i would Multi-meter it to make sure u are good at each end of the connectors
    Core duo
    1tb harddrive
    256 ddr
    8 lilliput
    bu-353

    still installing...

  3. #3
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by 84RegalRider
    You crimping hard enough and making sure the ends reach all the way to the end of the connector. Cuz if you have one of the cheaper crimping tools it wants to pust pressure on 1 side so like the last 1-2 wires on the other side dont go thru the insul and dont make contact. i would Multi-meter it to make sure u are good at each end of the connectors
    Yeh, I'm using a cheap crimp tool... how'd you know?

    I'll test it with the multimeter then. BTW: Which wiring diagram is correct
    I think both are correct since its just staight through. I could've done it randomly, and repeted the same random at the other end, it should work.. right?

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate mushin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    750
    It's straight-through, but I wouldn't just wire it randomly. You want each signal and associated ground to be on the same twisted pair, otherwise the twisted pair is useless and you'll get out-of-spec noise and interference (which could introduce enough error to cause your problem, but you didn't wire randomly, right?)

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate 84RegalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    427
    If you got a reg network cable you should be able to see the colors of it and that will tell you what order to go in.
    Hehe sorry i dont know off hand but its been 2 years since i made cables.
    Core duo
    1tb harddrive
    256 ddr
    8 lilliput
    bu-353

    still installing...

  6. #6
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    I did follow the diagram... both infact

    I metered the first and last pins, and they seemed good. Couldn't get to the middle one because I don't have 4 hands. My multimeter cables are too thick to touch the contacts

  7. #7
    Raw Wave RoyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    3,534
    You did try this with regular (working order) network cable right?

    Your comment about the router makes me wonder if this it the first time your trying to run this computer/router combination (in which case it isnt the best time to try your luck at making network cable... even tho its easy)...troubleshoot each part independently...
    Roy

    2005 Range Rover 4.4
    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate pRoFiT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    798
    I use the B style. Pin 1 white/orange orange/white white/green blue/white white/blue green/white white/brown brown/white pin 8. On both ends. Thats a straight-through cable. If you make a A style to B style you get a crossover. I foget the A Style I think orange and blue get switched. yah thats right orange and blue.
    Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

    My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

    Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/rr-skins/65723-rrskineditor-bugs-fixes-comments-current-progress-outdated.html

  9. #9
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyN
    You did try this with regular (working order) network cable right?

    Your comment about the router makes me wonder if this it the first time your trying to run this computer/router combination (in which case it isnt the best time to try your luck at making network cable... even tho its easy)...troubleshoot each part independently...
    Yeh, the laptop works with a normal cable. The hub is a 5 port, with only 1 of the ports populated. So I just plugged the new cable into the next port. The hub does work.
    Quote Originally Posted by pRoFiT
    I use the B style. Pin 1 white/orange orange/white white/green blue/white white/blue green/white white/brown brown/white pin 8. On both ends. Thats a straight-through cable. If you make a A style to B style you get a crossover. I foget the A Style I think orange and blue get switched. yah thats right orange and blue.
    I used only one style. So same on both ends

  10. #10
    Unregistered User ODYSSEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA CarPC Ver3: [▓▒▒
    Posts
    1,568
    I use this pin-out to make cables. I also bought a better crimp tool, the first one I had was plastic and did not crimp worth a crap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ODYSSEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. need help making vga cable with only 6 wires
    By David7586 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 06:12 AM
  2. Messed up VGA/USB cable
    By carfreak01 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 06:08 PM
  3. Lilliput and ribbon cable problems
    By Udonboy in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 07:24 PM
  4. where should i go to get a cable?
    By blackpacu in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:25 AM
  5. 1:1 Hirose Cable Group Buy!
    By claylong in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-31-2002, 02:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •