Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Wierd HDD problem...

  1. #1
    Tainted Love Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,651

    Question Wierd HDD problem...

    I have a 80Gb WD HDD, in a mobile rack, appart from the other one which suports the OS, and it run fine until yesterday...

    Windows doesn't see it. I can see it in BIOS, and in Device manager under disk drives. When I click Properties, it says the device is running ok. I click populate and it says it's not initialized... and cannot get the volumes out of it.
    At first I though I may have done something to the rack, so I tried running it straight from an IDE cable. That didn't worked, so I tried using a USB-IDE adapter. It sees the drive connected trough the USB, but under My computer, still nothing...
    I tried another HDD on the same system, and that runs just fine...

    I mean...WTFf???

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate roadhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    291
    Sounds like the drive can't read the disc at all, i.e. broken wire(s) between head and drive controller board. The drive controller initialises and reports back its BIOS info, but stalls when asked for partition info etc.
    Something obscure but easily checkable would be the power connector. Is it definitely getting both 5+ and 12+ on the controller board, i.e. no dry joints?
    Pure shot in the dark, just my 2 cents worth.

  3. #3
    Tainted Love Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by roadhog
    Sounds like the drive can't read the disc at all, i.e. broken wire(s) between head and drive controller board. The drive controller initialises and reports back its BIOS info, but stalls when asked for partition info etc.
    Something obscure but easily checkable would be the power connector. Is it definitely getting both 5+ and 12+ on the controller board, i.e. no dry joints?
    Pure shot in the dark, just my 2 cents worth.

    That's fine. I've checked all of this; the power connector, the IDE one. Tried it on another computer, and I still get this eror.
    Actually this drive was from another computer, and it still had the OS on it from the old one. So I put it back on the old pc, and it gives me a disk boot failure...

  4. #4
    MySQL Error jcdillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    4,043
    What do you see when you go to disk management? you might have to right click on the drive and import it.
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate Enak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    65
    Sounds knackered.

  6. #6
    lez
    lez is offline
    FLAC lez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,334
    maybe lost data off track 0
    Lez, more widely known as flez1966

  7. #7
    Tainted Love Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdillin
    What do you see when you go to disk management? you might have to right click on the drive and import it.
    That option is not available...

    It seems that formatating it is necesary. In disk management the disk wasn't asigned, and I had to go through the same process now, as I did when I first bought it.
    btw, what's the difference between a basic and a dynamic drive?

  8. #8
    Tainted Love Cris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by lez
    maybe lost data off track 0


    Yes, it seems that all of the data has been lost on it.

    But my question is, why?

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate madmartigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    83
    Yup, she's pooched. Sorry amigo.
    Dont tell me to shut up, I'm Rick James ******!!!

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate roadhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris
    That's fine. I've checked all of this; the power connector, the IDE one. Tried it on another computer, and I still get this eror.
    Actually this drive was from another computer, and it still had the OS on it from the old one. So I put it back on the old pc, and it gives me a disk boot failure...
    I wondered if the joint between the socket and the drive PCB could be suspect, rather than the cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wierd Civic Problem
    By nester in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 04:44 AM
  2. Audio muted problem
    By Tsleon in forum RR Bug Tracker
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 05:09 PM
  3. xp install to laptop hdd problem
    By thecrow in forum Newbie
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 03:37 PM
  4. USB Hdd cannot be seen
    By takissd in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 09:35 AM
  5. Computer Building Problem
    By 0l33l in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •