Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Lockup when hitting bumps

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24

    Lockup when hitting bumps

    My carputer has been locking up every so often and I have finnaly found the cause. If I go over any decent size bump (say railroad tracks), everything locks.

    I attribute this to read errors and things, but is there a way to make i/o errors not kill the os?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate DJiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles (Winnetka), CA
    Posts
    864
    Post some pics of how your CarPC is mounted and how the components inside the CarPC are mounted.
    I'd say there's a 90% chance there's something loose and only 10% chance that your HD is failing/skipping.
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24
    i'll take some pics tomorrow, but I have the basic ampie case plus via m10000. The drive is a 2.5 mounted on the little foam mounts they give you. I'm pretty sure nothing is loose, and the drive is brand spanking new.

    My case is under the front passenger seat and it's not actually attached to anything, just sitting on the floor. I'll have to take the seat out to mount it to something.

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate jnorion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    90
    Mine's running off an inverter and sometimes a bump will jar the A/C power cord loose just enough to freeze or restart the computer. I know the problem, just haven't had a chance to redesign the system. Yours might be a similar problem.
    ~ Joel

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24
    I have a dc/dc power setup and the wires are all connected via locking molex. My power to my lcd is via a normal psu molex to a ****ty radio shack molex clone. I've been meaning to make that a better setup... but I don't think it's loose though, hmm.

  6. #6
    Car Audio Moderator durwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland (St. Charles,IL)
    Posts
    2,028
    I have an M1-ATX and I was havign a problem with the cheap 4 pin power molex plugs they used. My 3.5" drive was losing power and locking up because they were making poor contact. I squeezed the round connectors a bit with some needle nose pliers and everything has been fine since.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate Jarrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melb, Australia.
    Posts
    475
    Mounting the actual case to the car will seriously reduce the amount of shock. Id do that even if you find a different cause to the problem.
    I had my case mounted to the rear parcel shelf (underneath in the boot) and I only had it mounted from the front of the case, so the back would sag down a bit and jolt when going over bumps. This would cause playback to skip for a second or two (using a 3.5" drive). I have since mounted it more sturdily and no more skips
    Jarrod - Holden VX S!

  8. #8
    Car Audio Moderator durwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicagoland (St. Charles,IL)
    Posts
    2,028

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24
    The power molex off the ide cable was quite loose. I soldered on a different one and it seems to have fixed the problem. Once I finish my carputer setup (ie: finish the lcd bezel and get my usb extension cables in the mail) I'll see about taking the seat out and mounting the little guy to the body.

Similar Threads

  1. Hardest hitting 6x9s?
    By joe diego in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 11:35 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 11:18 AM
  3. Cutting out over bumps
    By Stealth97 in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2005, 01:37 AM
  4. hARD DRIVE CABLE COMES LOOSE WITH BUMPS
    By n8scstm in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 03:47 PM
  5. Computer skipped like cd after hitting bump.
    By greenglo in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 11:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •