Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Question on powering USB devices off of 5v line on molex connector

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate S4Per's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    782

    Question on powering USB devices off of 5v line on molex connector

    Hey Folks,
    So I got the answer back from Aopen that there's no way I can have the USB bus powered off during standby. This forces me to the old way of cutting open the USB cable, cutting the +5v and ground lines on the USB cable, and splicing these into the respective lines on the molex connectors on the mobo so the USB device receives power only when the PC is on. Questions on this:

    1. Can I connect 3 seperate USB cords to the same spot of a single molex connector? i.e. I have 3 USB cords that I need to do this with (some devices are not happy being on a hub, otherwise it'd be one cord) and I'm wondering if I need to pick 3 seperate molex connectors or sections on molex connectors to power these correctly? Can all 3 be spliced into one spot on the molex lines?

    2. If I can do all into one spot, I'd like to do this via some type of connector, do such things exist? Example: the molex cables terminate on a connector that has inputs for 3 other connectors...something like a 3-to-1 AC power outlet.

    4. Is there a better way to do all of this?


    TIA,
    Per

  2. #2
    Emo
    Emo is offline
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    310
    my question is.. why do you want to shut off the power at all?

    I have all of my devices plugged in and they dont shut off when the car/pc are off but that doesnt bother anything does it?

  3. #3
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Emo View Post
    my question is.. why do you want to shut off the power at all?

    I have all of my devices plugged in and they dont shut off when the car/pc are off but that doesnt bother anything does it?
    Ya, it draws power, which will drain his battery.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate S4Per's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    782
    right. battery drain.

  5. #5
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Per View Post
    Hey Folks,
    So I got the answer back from Aopen that there's no way I can have the USB bus powered off during standby. This forces me to the old way of cutting open the USB cable, cutting the +5v and ground lines on the USB cable, and splicing these into the respective lines on the molex connectors on the mobo so the USB device receives power only when the PC is on. Questions on this:

    1. Can I connect 3 seperate USB cords to the same spot of a single molex connector? i.e. I have 3 USB cords that I need to do this with (some devices are not happy being on a hub, otherwise it'd be one cord) and I'm wondering if I need to pick 3 seperate molex connectors or sections on molex connectors to power these correctly? Can all 3 be spliced into one spot on the molex lines?

    2. If I can do all into one spot, I'd like to do this via some type of connector, do such things exist? Example: the molex cables terminate on a connector that has inputs for 3 other connectors...something like a 3-to-1 AC power outlet.

    4. Is there a better way to do all of this?


    TIA,
    Per
    What is a "molex connector on the mobo" What are you refering to?

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate S4Per's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    782
    molex connector = the connector that supplies power to your standard IDE hard drives. These are a great source for tapping power if you want something only on when the PC is on. The 4 wires supply +12v, +5v, and two grounds (yellow, red, black, black). These only receive power when the PC is turned on. So - you connect the power and ground cables from your USB cable that leads back to your device/hub (it has 4 wires, the other 2 are for data) and splice these into the red and black wires on the molex connector.

    perhaps wording was poor..i mean to say tapping the wires that lead to the molex connector (although getting a male/female pairing on the connector itself is also possible).

    good info at: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...tml#peripheral

  7. #7
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Per View Post
    molex connector = the connector that supplies power to your standard IDE hard drives. These are a great source for tapping power if you want something only on when the PC is on. The 4 wires supply +12v, +5v, and two grounds (yellow, red, black, black). These only receive power when the PC is turned on. So - you connect the power and ground cables from your USB cable that leads back to your device/hub (it has 4 wires, the other 2 are for data) and splice these into the red and black wires on the molex connector.

    perhaps wording was poor..i mean to say tapping the wires that lead to the molex connector (although getting a male/female pairing on the connector itself is also possible).

    good info at: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...tml#peripheral

    Dude, I know what Molex connectors are. They come from the PS, NOT FROM THE MB. That was the confusing part. (Don't take this the wrong way)

    Yes, you can tap into a single molex to power your USB devices. USB is specd at 500ma per device. 3 devices will use 1.5 amps. That connector is easily capable of that. The wires should be at least 18 gauge, and preferable 16 gauge, if you are gonna run 5 or 6 feet or less.

    Michael

    P.S. That link is great, I will try and get them to add it to a FAQ or something.
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate S4Per's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    782
    i figured it was my wording..typing in a hurry, sorry ;-)

    what if i have 2 devices and one hub? the hub has 4 devices on it: touchscreen, OBD-II cable, RF keyboard, and DVD player. The DVD player and the hub have external power being supplied by the second output of the Carnetix 1900....think I'm still good to go?

  9. #9
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Per View Post
    i figured it was my wording..typing in a hurry, sorry ;-)

    what if i have 2 devices and one hub? the hub has 4 devices on it: touchscreen, OBD-II cable, RF keyboard, and DVD player. The DVD player and the hub have external power being supplied by the second output of the Carnetix 1900....think I'm still good to go?
    I am not very familiar with the carnetix, but maybe you can power all the USB stuff off the carnetix.

    In any event, the connector is good for, I think I read, 14 amps. You should be fine, as long as your cable is sufficient to handle the amperage. I would not go smaller gauge then 16, perhaps 14 to be ont he safe side, and don't run it too long. EDIT: I MEAND LENGTH WISE, not time wise.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate S4Per's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    782
    cool. thanks Michael :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Too many USB devices
    By Dragonknell911 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 04:50 PM
  2. USB devices die off in 20 min. HELP ?
    By anik321 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 10:01 AM
  3. powering 5v devices off PS2 ports:
    By crazymadbastard in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 04:34 PM
  4. question about powering a usb rom
    By DSM97RS in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 09:22 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 07:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •