Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Questions from Newbie! :)

  1. #1
    Newbie porschenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    3

    Questions from Newbie! :)

    Hi all,

    I just discovered this forum and I'm amazed at the amount of information here! It's gonna take me a couple weeks to look through all the majors threads, so please excuse me if I'm asking a question that someone else has already asked.
    I just started looking at all the different options for building my first Car PC and I would like to know what motherboard everyone recommends these days. I would like to go with the Mini-ITX format and here are some of the hardware I will have in there:

    1. 120-200GB Notebook drive
    2. Wireless
    3. Bluetooth
    4. A few USB ports for OBD-II, GPS receiver, etc
    5. Slim CD/DVD drive

    Software-wise I'm thinking about running Media Center and I'll be using the system mostly for GPS, MP3, OBD-II, Web/Wireless connectivity. (I would like some input on some of these software as well if possible)
    I would like something fairly fast, quiet that runs cool, but it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest motherboard, just something that's rock solid, easy to setup, reliable and will provide with what I need. I guess a 1Ghz or 1.2Ghz should be plenty for me. I'm just not sure if I should go with the Jetway, or VIA, etc and which model/flavor.
    If you could give me some pointers so I can start gathering the parts I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks again!


  2. #2
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    I reccommend the via series because ultra low power, and you can get fanless versions too. My fanned version is silent enough though.

    By media centre do you mean XP MCE? Wont integrate GPS very well. In a touchscreen car PC, those little check boxes and such are hard to hit with a finger.

    I use RoadRunner, but there are many other frontends. I like RR because it is easy to setup, has the most support (skins to customize, plugins, ect), and it is free. Or you can shell out $200 for a software called StreetDeck, but I presonally think it is for those to lazy to install a free program.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    63
    I have a Via SP13000 and im pretty satisfied with it as of now...its no beast but it does have a built in mpeg4 decompresser and should handle the carpc requirements just fine. I have yet to settle on a frontend cause of there being so many choices. Good luck on your build, and most of all research and you'll find what you need.

  4. #4
    Newbie porschenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    I reccommend the via series because ultra low power, and you can get fanless versions too. My fanned version is silent enough though.

    By media centre do you mean XP MCE? Wont integrate GPS very well. In a touchscreen car PC, those little check boxes and such are hard to hit with a finger.

    I use RoadRunner, but there are many other frontends. I like RR because it is easy to setup, has the most support (skins to customize, plugins, ect), and it is free. Or you can shell out $200 for a software called StreetDeck, but I presonally think it is for those to lazy to install a free program.

    Thanks for the information. Do you have a link or more info on RoadRunner by chance? Thanks!

  5. #5
    Newbie porschenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by demitrix View Post
    I have a Via SP13000 and im pretty satisfied with it as of now...its no beast but it does have a built in mpeg4 decompresser and should handle the carpc requirements just fine. I have yet to settle on a frontend cause of there being so many choices. Good luck on your build, and most of all research and you'll find what you need.
    Thanks Demitrix!

  6. #6
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by porschenut View Post
    Thanks for the information. Do you have a link or more info on RoadRunner by chance? Thanks!
    All frontends: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/front-ends/

    RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/road-runner/
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie questions
    By peecee in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 12:48 AM
  2. Newbie questions......sorry :-(
    By mikebailey_uk in forum Newbie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 11:33 AM
  4. Newbie Questions for a 2nd Time!
    By Sound of Silenc in forum Newbie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
  5. Newbie here. Introduction and some questions...
    By 3Point4Tacoma in forum Newbie
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 12:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •