Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: how to display car stats?

  1. #1
    ice
    ice is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    9

    Question how to display car stats?

    is it possible to display what the car is doing how its doing speed temp **** like that on a computer.. i am building my mp3 system for my car and i want to know if its possible to find some think to do this and is it possible? i know gm use soemthing called a tek 2 to do this they can even control the speed on the car to checking oil head and stuff.. .have u guys came across anything that dose this?

    thanks

    ice

  2. #2
    ice
    ice is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    9

    Post

    arg **** hehe i forgot

    i have a Isuzu Imark RS Turbo 1989

    sweet car

    thanks

    [ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: ice ]

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    461

    Post

    you mean 1988? unless you are not in the USA, Isuzu diddnt make those in the US in 98. maybe im wrong. I dont think the computer in a car that old would be able to monitor that info. i could be wrong again.

    [ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Adam F ]

  4. #4
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    1,436

    Post

    this is probably not much help but in Melbourne there is a local company which produces a product called a "Wolf3D". It is connected upto various points on your engine and via the text LCD screen on its controller you can monitor and change settings on your car.

    Meant more for racing, you can change fuel mixtures, timing, etc..... rather cool a friend has one on his worked BMW.
    Project - GAME OVER :(

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Sydney NSW Australia
    Posts
    581

    Lightbulb

    Hey there,

    Im planning to do that in my Ford Laser TX3 Turbo (Locals will know the car im talking about). Its all matter of having the schematic of the car electrical system and preferably the schematic of the EFI/EGU computer.
    Also not forget that you should know how to program in C/C++ or Asm.
    A direct connection wont be possible to Parralel port so you should build a I/O circut which will get connected to you LPT port and to your cars computer.
    I personally want to control the Air/Petrol Mixer, Turbo Boost, RPM and Speed Reading, L/100Km. Other things that computer will control will be the alarm/defence system... and anything else that comes to my head later on ...
    By the way the computer will be running 24 hours a day even if the car is off.
    Ill keep you posted how it all goes.
    Fosgate

    System Comp V3 - In progress.
    Low power MB with C7 CPU, DC-DC PSU, car ECU link, USB TV, GPS, 7" TFT, Wireless, Voice.

  6. #6
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    1,436

    Post

    Originally posted by Fosgate:
    <STRONG>Hey there,

    Im planning to do that in my Ford Laser TX3 Turbo (Locals will know the car im talking about). </STRONG>
    a damm fast car those......

    [ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: magnetik ]
    Project - GAME OVER :(

  7. #7
    ice
    ice is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs up

    Originally posted by Adam F:
    <STRONG>you mean 1988? unless you are not in the USA, Isuzu diddnt make those in the US in 98. maybe im wrong. I dont think the computer in a car that old would be able to monitor that info. i could be wrong again.

    [ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Adam F ]</STRONG>

    ops thanks for showing me i am a bit slow last comple of days arg hehe spelling i also need help with that heheh

    and

    Originally posted by magnetik:
    <STRONG>this is probably not much help but in Melbourne there is a local company which produces a product called a "Wolf3D". It is connected upto various points on your engine and via the text LCD screen on its controller you can monitor and change settings on your car.

    Meant more for racing, you can change fuel mixtures, timing, etc..... rather cool a friend has one on his worked BMW.</STRONG>
    dude this is ecaxtly what i want! you dont think there would be something else like that is there? or some kind of softwear and hardwear that can go into a laptop or the computer i am makeing is there?

    and

    Fosgate

    would be neat if u can provied how to make it

    but heeh i am not the great in c++
    /me just start learning in school

    [ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: ice ]

    [ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: ice ]

  8. #8
    Retired Admin Aaron Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,464

    Cool

    It's probably not a good idea to control vital engine parameters with a PC. PCs are unreliable and prone to crashing. Imagine what would happen if the computer controlling your air/fuel ratio crashed in the midle of high boost. Rebuilding the engine isn't fun.

    As far as displaying things, that's relativly easy. The ECU in most cars keeps track of nearly everything, from temperature, to speed, to air/fuel ration, etc. Fuel level can be tapped off the sender, as can oil pressure, etc. Displaying these would simply need a ADC of some kind. Probably the easiest solution is to just buy one premade, designed for industrial use. These are already properly isolated, and come with software, development kits, etc. EBay might be the best place to pick them up cheap. You certainly don't need the latest and greatest board. If you can't get something off of EBay, there are a lot of ADC schematics on the Net you can try.
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

  9. #9
    ice
    ice is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs up

    Originally posted by Aaron Cake:
    <STRONG>
    As far as displaying things, that's relativly easy. The ECU in most cars keeps track of nearly everything, from temperature, to speed, to air/fuel ration, etc. Fuel level can be tapped off the sender, as can oil pressure, etc. Displaying these would simply need a ADC of some kind. Probably the easiest solution is to just buy one premade, designed for industrial use. These are already properly isolated, and come with software, development kits, etc. EBay might be the best place to pick them up cheap. You certainly don't need the latest and greatest board. If you can't get something off of EBay, there are a lot of ADC schematics on the Net you can try.</STRONG>

    this is what i would like to do.. what would the softwear be called i dont know how to look for it even i only know of the tek 2 that GM uses because my friends works there and its ******* expences 2k for the unit then i have to buy the card for my car and i dont even know how much that costs

    any clues?

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Saint Peter, Mn
    Posts
    90

    Post

    I use AutoTap to display all my info. It works pretty good. I'm not sure what years of cars it works with. There was another one called obd or something like that also.

    [ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Dragyn ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •