Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Sirius and XM getting closer!

  1. #11
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,052
    Simple fix... Pay your bill!!!

    And do you have sat. TV? I am tired of people saying (even the cable companies) if it rains or is cloudy the signal goes out. Well no it doesnt. We have had Dish Network for over 6 years now, and the only time the signal goes out is after it snows and there is like 3" of snow sitting on it. Just take a broom and wipe it off, and it works even if it is still snowing or lighting/thundering/raining/sleeting as long as it isnt completely covered. </rant>
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate FusionFanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    791
    if the "merger" goes through, then Sirius will be buying XM. they won't "combine" like channels, they'll simply get rid of one of them (most likely they'll get rid of every XM channel that has a Sirius equivilent.

    for current Sirius subscribers the service will only get better because you'll continue to get the same channels you always had. plus you'll be able to get additional channels that weren't available to you before. if you don't want any of them you can just continue to enjoy the same old Sirius programming that you always had.

    for current XM subscribers (like me), our service will change quite a bit. we'll have similar channel selections, but the XM channels we like will be replaced by the Sirius variants. on some channels this will be a good thing, on others it won't.

    as far as pricing goes... "Subscribers who want their current subscription package will not have to pay any more after the merger. There will be new subscription packages priced below our current offerings." I see it as a win-win for both sides.

  3. #13
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGeek View Post
    if the "merger" goes through, then Sirius will be buying XM. they won't "combine" like channels, they'll simply get rid of one of them (most likely they'll get rid of every XM channel that has a Sirius equivilent.

    for current Sirius subscribers the service will only get better because you'll continue to get the same channels you always had. plus you'll be able to get additional channels that weren't available to you before. if you don't want any of them you can just continue to enjoy the same old Sirius programming that you always had.

    for current XM subscribers (like me), our service will change quite a bit. we'll have similar channel selections, but the XM channels we like will be replaced by the Sirius variants. on some channels this will be a good thing, on others it won't.

    as far as pricing goes... "Subscribers who want their current subscription package will not have to pay any more after the merger. There will be new subscription packages priced below our current offerings." I see it as a win-win for both sides.
    Sirius isnt buying XM, there simply merging in a merger of equals. There doing this to keep from going under..... XM just happens to be closer to going under.

  4. #14
    Maximum Bitrate FusionFanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    There doing this to keep from going under..... XM just happens to be closer to going under.
    that may be part of the reason, but don't forget that it's a corporation. their sole objective is profit, and by acquiring XM the combined company would be much more profitable. I don't see the executives taking paycuts and stopping those ridiculous excessively high pay contracts to celebrities like Oprah and Stern. they keep in wasting money and then cry that they can't afford to stay in business anymore. bull

    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    Sirius isnt buying XM, there simply merging in a merger of equals.
    the whole "merger of equals" crap is just a PR term to get consumers and the FCC to go along with it. if they came out and said that Sirius would be acquiring XM then the FCC wouldn't even consider allowing it.

    there's nothing "equal" about it...

    1. if the "merger" goes through then the CEO of Sirius will take over and head the combined company after the merger/acquisition is complete. the CEO of XM will not hold any executive position after the merger/acquisition is complete.

    2. if the "merger" goes through then current XM shareholders will receive 4.6 shares of Sirius common stock for every 1 share of XM they own. that sounds like they're buying XM to me, they're just buying it with stock instead of cash.

    3. when the FCC first granted the SAT radio licenses 1997, they only granted two (1 for XM and 1 for Sirius). each license was granted with a condition that neither company would be allowed to "acquire" the other company's license. by claiming the merger as a "merger of equals" they are hoping the FCC will allow it.



    source

  5. #15
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Well its been a long time since anyone posted. Looks like Sirius took over XM..... Most people arent saying merger, but take over............ All they have to do is get past the FCC. i just hope Clear Channel doesnt mess things up. I totally think CC is stupid for arguing about content, especially since Sat radio is paid for monthly, not free air waves like CC. I cant wait for the merger, i want Sirius on my XM NOWWWWWWWWWW.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  6. #16
    FLAC -zip-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ontario/Canada
    Posts
    1,293
    Me Too Hijack, Justice has approved the merger, FCC is the final hurdle. This will make Sat Radio so much stronger, cars will be fitted with a radio that will work for all stations.

    Man its gonna be sooooooooo goood.
    2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
    2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
    Sound Stage
    Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

  7. #17
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    Simple fix... Pay your bill!!!

    And do you have sat. TV? I am tired of people saying (even the cable companies) if it rains or is cloudy the signal goes out. Well no it doesnt. We have had Dish Network for over 6 years now, and the only time the signal goes out is after it snows and there is like 3" of snow sitting on it. Just take a broom and wipe it off, and it works even if it is still snowing or lighting/thundering/raining/sleeting as long as it isnt completely covered. </rant>
    Yea, I know, but I dont like the auto bill thing, and if your even an hour late they disconnect you and wipe out your account. With XM I am on a invoiced plan, they send me an invoice every month.

    LOL, i know this post is old, but yes I have Dish Network. I guess it all depends on area, at my moms house were she has a Super Dish for international channels as well, we went through a few hurricanes and very rare signal loss, I notice though that not many people have Dish Netowrk in the area though. At my old place, I also had a Super Dish (me and my mom like to keep up with German events) but everyone had Dish Network, and if one drop hit my Dish I had the dreaded looking for transponder screen.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  8. #18
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,052
    I have both Dish Network and Bell ExpressVu now (Writer's strike ****ed me off, so we went with the Canadian programming we were used to and loved and guess what it is a gagillion times better than the american crap) and neither go out very often. We had the american dish go out last week when we had 2 days of snow then freezing rain then 70 degree weather and day after more freezing rain. Basically after than snow melt and re-freeze we had over 1.5" of pure ice in the crux of the dish. The canadian dish is sloped more steeply to get the signal so it slid off. So yeah even through rain/ice/snow it was fine until ice solidified on the dish so thick we couldnt get it off. Next day it was over 60 again and it melted worked fine. That's moutain weather for ya.


    And if anyone is going to get a dish, I highly reccommend neither Dish Network or Direct TV. Get an ExpressVU dish and get all the great Canadian channels. There are the basic american channels like CNN, ABC, FOX, NBC, MTV, VH1, and all that but then you get CBC for hockey night in canada! Also you get more channels for less money, and they actually offer multi-lingual packages (everything from french to mandarin chinese, to hindi, or german, or italian). Also the commercials are not as annoying. I find on the american dish the show is at low volume and then BAM! commercials at twice that volume. Well that is no where to be found on any canadian channel. Even the american channels broadcast from the canadian dish, have equal volume throughout. Also the medical drug commercials are less frequent and there are more PSA type commercials. Instead of the "here is a drug to fix this" it is a goverment run ad about how to prevent the problem in the first place. Socialism ftw.

    Bell Canada rocks!

    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  9. #19
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    I have both Dish Network and Bell ExpressVu now (Writer's strike ****ed me off, so we went with the Canadian programming we were used to and loved and guess what it is a gagillion times better than the american crap) and neither go out very often. We had the american dish go out last week when we had 2 days of snow then freezing rain then 70 degree weather and day after more freezing rain. Basically after than snow melt and re-freeze we had over 1.5" of pure ice in the crux of the dish. The canadian dish is sloped more steeply to get the signal so it slid off. So yeah even through rain/ice/snow it was fine until ice solidified on the dish so thick we couldnt get it off. Next day it was over 60 again and it melted worked fine. That's moutain weather for ya.


    And if anyone is going to get a dish, I highly reccommend neither Dish Network or Direct TV. Get an ExpressVU dish and get all the great Canadian channels. There are the basic american channels like CNN, ABC, FOX, NBC, MTV, VH1, and all that but then you get CBC for hockey night in canada! Also you get more channels for less money, and they actually offer multi-lingual packages (everything from french to mandarin chinese, to hindi, or german, or italian). Also the commercials are not as annoying. I find on the american dish the show is at low volume and then BAM! commercials at twice that volume. Well that is no where to be found on any canadian channel. Even the american channels broadcast from the canadian dish, have equal volume throughout. Also the medical drug commercials are less frequent and there are more PSA type commercials. Instead of the "here is a drug to fix this" it is a goverment run ad about how to prevent the problem in the first place. Socialism ftw.

    Bell Canada rocks!

    Can I get ExpreeVu from Miami?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #20
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern Calif
    Posts
    423
    I think b3v is only for Canadians..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. XM / Sirius Worklog
    By Nola111 in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
  2. both XM and Sirius?
    By mshelby in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 11:28 AM
  3. XM & Sirius Merger
    By JohnWPB in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 03:06 AM
  4. XM = Sirius! Merger Reported
    By lostreception in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
  5. Sirius vs. XM...? what up Gee?
    By mindscream in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 03:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •