Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: HDD for car? Whats good and stable? CF?USB?ETC

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6

    HDD for car? Whats good and stable? CF?USB?ETC

    Hi.

    I have had a computer in the car for a year now, but having problems with the HDD getting corrupted files and windows stops working because it can't find files etc. I have changed the Compact Flash card 3times the last 6months.
    I don't want to buy a SSD drive because it cost to much.

    So my question is, do anybody know what is best to use?

    USB Memory as HDD?
    CF Card? (if so what brand? I use Kingston 266x today)
    Regular 2.5" HDD (it's not static, will it work over time?)
    Other options?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    76
    there are an unlimited amount of threads on this. Do some searching. there is alot of debate on the issue.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate customaudioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsforcar View Post
    Hi.

    I have had a computer in the car for a year now, but having problems with the HDD getting corrupted files and windows stops working because it can't find files etc. I have changed the Compact Flash card 3times the last 6months.
    I don't want to buy a SSD drive because it cost to much.

    So my question is, do anybody know what is best to use?

    USB Memory as HDD?
    CF Card? (if so what brand? I use Kingston 266x today)
    Regular 2.5" HDD (it's not static, will it work over time?)
    Other options?

    Thanks in advance.
    I just use a standard 3.5 sata hdd in the carputer. I have never had any crashes. I have sub right next to the carputer. My car is slammed to the ground, ring on 20'' wheels which make the ride not smooth at all. I use the western digital 200gb 7200rpm drive. I never had problems with there stuff. you can get one from newegg.com for under $60.00

  4. #4
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    For years (more than 8) I used the same old 3.5 maxtor desktop drive. Not one issue. I recently changed the system now it s the least expensive SATA 3.5 I could find at Micro center at the time.

    If you are having trouble it is likely something else causing it but showing a symptom as you describe.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  5. #5
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    It might be just luck, but I think some drives definately cant handle shock as well as others.

    Before I got my 2.5 automotive grade drive, Ive tried four different 3.5 drives. Two of them worked fine in the carpc, the other one would corrupt files after a month of use, and another drive would freeze the system on big bumps. Doing a scan with spinrite seemed to reveal more sector problems the longer that drive was used in the car. But all of these drives were 5+ years old, so maybe the newer drives are better.

    Until SSDs lower in price, a 2.5 drive should be good.

  6. #6
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by nobb View Post
    It might be just luck, but I think some drives definately cant handle shock as well as others.

    Before I got my 2.5 automotive grade drive, Ive tried four different 3.5 drives. Two of them worked fine in the carpc, the other one would corrupt files after a month of use, and another drive would freeze the system on big bumps. Doing a scan with spinrite seemed to reveal more sector problems the longer that drive was used in the car. But all of these drives were 5+ years old, so maybe the newer drives are better.

    Until SSDs lower in price, a 2.5 drive should be good.
    I know this horse gets beat regularly.... But the only real things a 2.5 inch drive get you are smaller size, lower power needs and a larger price tag.

    Not any more durability. I have had personal experiance that shows a HD is more durable than people in the car or the car.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  7. #7
    FLAC muldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South-Central PA
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsforcar View Post
    I have had a computer in the car for a year now, but having problems with the HDD getting corrupted files and windows stops working because it can't find files etc.
    Those faults are not because your HDD is in a car.

    Quote Originally Posted by gpsforcar View Post
    So my question is, do anybody know what is best to use?
    USB Memory as HDD?
    CF Card? (if so what brand? I use Kingston 266x today)
    Regular 2.5" HDD (it's not static, will it work over time?)
    Other options?
    Thanks in advance.
    In my opinion it doesn't matter...but I like a regular HDD the best..and is easiest to set up. I've used 3.5's and 2.5's without any problems.
    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
    "A great smoking alternative"

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
    I know this horse gets beat regularly.... But the only real things a 2.5 inch drive get you are smaller size, lower power needs and a larger price tag.

    Not any more durability. I have had personal experiance that shows a HD is more durable than people in the car or the car.
    i would disagee and say a 2.5" would be more durable, but i'm not talking from experience, just hard drive specs. fom memory a 2.5" hard drive can take 4 time the shock of 3.5" hard drive and still be within specifications.

    but i do also see issues after a few months with my 2.5" hard drive. i am thinking of changing to cf to try that but if people are still having issues i may try something else..

    Clint

  9. #9
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    File system issues are likely not caused by being in a car install.

    Fix the OS and potentially the power supply / connections.

    The specs one shock are so far above what the drive will encounter for a desktop drive it does not matter if a laptop drive is 4 or 3000 times more shock resistant.

    Yes, I have read the specs. Yes, I have been in frame bending wrecks with the car PC.....


    Some additional threads:
    "Soft" hard drive mounting....
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...uter-like.html
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate ronjon228's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    169
    +1 for 3.5" regular IDE drives. I've been using them for almost 4 years in Michigan climate (below freezing mostly all of winter) and haven't had any issues. In fact, I've only had them not boot 1 time. I simply left the computer on for about 2 minutes, then restarted, and all was good.
    CarPC:
    1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

    Sound System:
    Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •