Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Yet another reason to loathe Microsoft

  1. #11
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Whats with mac fanboys thinking that pretty means its a ripoff of apple? Apple did not in any way shape or form invent "pretty".

    OSX is useless for 90% of the working population. Sure its good if you want to be trendy and browse the web and pay 200% the price for the same hardware and less usability. But to each his own, i guess. Just look at the market share before you start to talk. And yes this is a free market, you can buy what you want so dont even try the monopoly bs.

    And gadgets were the first thing i uninstalled.

    So what is wrong with vista? Everyone loves to bash it, but nobody ever has a legit reason why it is no good.

  2. #12
    Variable Bitrate Area3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Garland, Texas, United States
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    Whats with mac fanboys thinking that pretty means its a ripoff of apple? Apple did not in any way shape or form invent "pretty".

    OSX is useless for 90% of the working population. Sure its good if you want to be trendy and browse the web and pay 200% the price for the same hardware and less usability. But to each his own, i guess. Just look at the market share before you start to talk. And yes this is a free market, you can buy what you want so dont even try the monopoly bs.

    And gadgets were the first thing i uninstalled.

    So what is wrong with vista? Everyone loves to bash it, but nobody ever has a legit reason why it is no good.
    Do You Listen to Music At All?

    85% Of All Music Is Made on a Mac...

    79% Of Graphics Designers And Professional Photographers Use a Mac

    So In Turn apple Is Very Usefull and Is Used Alot...

    You get what you pay for
    Microsoft Is a Evil Empire that has corrupted a generation!

    Thanks - Eric Scott
    Area 3 Productions
    www.myspace.com/area3

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Area3 View Post
    Do You Listen to Music At All?

    85% Of All Music Is Made on a Mac...

    79% Of Graphics Designers And Professional Photographers Use a Mac

    So In Turn apple Is Very Usefull and Is Used Alot...

    You get what you pay for
    And what percentage of computer users make music and are graphics designers?
    The number 1 graphics program out there (photoshop) is predominantly a windows program.

    And again, what exactly is wrong with Vista?

  4. #14
    Newbie chaksq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NY/CT
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    HA! I see your point with the corporation stuff (i work for one that is too cheap to upgrade their 15-20 year old systems), but comparing vista to ME is just plain wrong.

    ME was trash in every way. Vista works fine, infact better than XP in many ways. There's nothing "wrong" with vista once you configure it properly (which isnt that hard), its just some people avoid change in any way possible and will find any excuse necessary to trash what they are afraid of. I think XP is great, and was very skeptical of vista after reading all the trash talking on it, but once i got a copy and installed and spent a few hours playing i was very surprised. it works great.

    Oh but that video is disturbing.
    I am afraid I have to disagree with you. First you mention your company is too cheap to upgrade, ever consider other reasons. Don't fix what isn't broken comes to mind, also an upgrade may be overkill depending on the application.

    Also Vista does not work fine. It may work for many users but I cannot use a laptop without wireless support and my Vista laptop refuses to connect to my schools internet, I have tried working with the networks tech support who cannot get it to work (not to mention I am a power user). Also when I tried it one my desktop with all brand new vista certified hardware and drivers it insisted on crashing my GPU drivers. I will concede that Vista can recover without rebooting quite well after a driver crashes, however the fact that the driver is crashing I cannot accept, especially when I am in the middle of something. I upgraded to XP and no problems at all period. SP1 in Vista has not served to fix anything. And for the record I am not afraid of change, in fact I embrace change and seek change, I also can recognize when something is not worth changing to.

  5. #15
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    66
    How quickly mac users have forgotten the introduction of OSX - Programs that didn't run except in "Classic", hardware that doesn't work anymore, older hardware wouldn't run it, etc., etc. Sound familiar?

    By the way, on my desk right now is a Dell Wintel box, a C2D MacMini AND a Ubuntu 7 box.

    Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    Also when I tried it one my desktop with all brand new vista certified hardware and drivers it insisted on crashing my GPU drivers. I will concede that Vista can recover without rebooting quite well after a driver crashes, however the fact that the driver is crashing I cannot accept, especially when I am in the middle of something. I upgraded to XP and no problems at all period.
    You do realize that a driver-caused crash is not really a Microsoft problem, right? You can just as easily blame bad drivers from the graphics card companies who haven't got the hang of the new way Vista interacts with hardware. My Nvidia card caused a crash in Vista too, until Nvidia released an updated driver.

    What's with calling XP an upgrade anyway? It's now a legacy OS with nearly 10 years of development behind it, so of course it's going to be stable and 3rd party programs and drivers will be too.

  6. #16
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Area3 View Post
    Do You Listen to Music At All?

    85% Of All Music Is Made on a Mac...

    79% Of Graphics Designers And Professional Photographers Use a Mac

    So In Turn apple Is Very Usefull and Is Used Alot...

    You get what you pay for

    What percentage of those stats were made up on the spot?

  7. #17
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    I am afraid I have to disagree with you. First you mention your company is too cheap to upgrade, ever consider other reasons. Don't fix what isn't broken comes to mind, also an upgrade may be overkill depending on the application.
    I agree. Techinically, MS-DOS isn't broken either. We should all still be running it instead.
    Along with that thought, there was technically nothing wrong with candles, cd's, betamax etc... etc etc.
    If you followed that mentality we'd still be in the stone ages.

    Lovecraft took care of your power user driver issues for me, no need for further comment.

  8. #18
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    I dunno, I think he's onto something. My company hasn't upgraded to Vista because it breaks a bunch of our internal apps. It costs time and money to rewrite those and they work just fine right now, thank you very much.

    What's the compelling reason to upgrade? It's not like Vista suddenly lowers the cost of ownership or magically reduces support costs. Our helpdesk is so familiar with known XP issues that switching to Vista would set us back for quite awhile. All fine and good if there's something in Vista that will eventually pay off down the road.

    There's not, though. End of story. Sticking with XP until MS forces us to upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  9. #19
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    I dunno, I think he's onto something. My company hasn't upgraded to Vista because it breaks a bunch of our internal apps. It costs time and money to rewrite those and they work just fine right now, thank you very much.

    What's the compelling reason to upgrade? It's not like Vista suddenly lowers the cost of ownership or magically reduces support costs. Our helpdesk is so familiar with known XP issues that switching to Vista would set us back for quite awhile. All fine and good if there's something in Vista that will eventually pay off down the road.

    There's not, though. End of story. Sticking with XP until MS forces us to upgrade.
    My company hasn't upgraded for the same reason. Cost issues are issues, but familiarity can only be an "excuse" so long. Everyone else has to learn and stay with the current technology, why shouldnt IT people?
    Vista isn't THAT much different than XP, really. Bringing apps up to speed (some ancient) really isn't that difficult. I'm running many programs on my vista install that i've been running since 98SE. I actually have yet to run across a program i use that won't work in vista with some minor tweaking. hell even office 2000 runs fine if you don't need the outlook address book...

    But my original post was asking what flaws so many people know about that warrant such bashing of Vista? Sometimes mac and linux fanboys just need to be challenged, one gets tired of their blind, trendy faith.

    For the record, i have nothing against linux. I'm dual booting Ubuntu along with my Xp and Vista isntall (i guess that would be triple boot?) Its great and its free, its just not near as universally flexible as windows. I really have no use for it other than to play around with it.

  10. #20
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    So what is wrong with vista? Everyone loves to bash it, but nobody ever has a legit reason why it is no good.
    I have a quadruple boot now on my desktop (osx/linux/xp/vista)

    XP wins by far. The hardware is by no means brand new, but it is speedy enough.

    Vista has a bunch of problems. Legit problems.

    To name a few:

    The endless reboot patch where it would destroy the kernel file when you install the update as a pre-req for installing SP1.

    ACPI drivers (Microsoft side) are flaky at best. Dont know what they did, but there are numerous reports of S3 problems. Most are crashing on wake, but my laptop has a problem where I cannot put it to sleep if it is on mains power. I have to unplug it before I put it to sleep or the screen would turn off and never come back with the fans on full blast and HDD light going crazy. Left in that state it will run forever (at least overnight). And no I am not retarded and I know about the Power Options...

    So much damned "protection" that it freezes windows mobile 6 devices over activation if you sync it with a non-Vista PC as well.

    Dont know if they fixed this one or not, but if you had Windows Media Player open (or any program that can play protected content) while doing some update you would lose the ability to play all DRM content... In all programs...

    Again the stupid people protection now makes file copy so slow. It has to gain access to every file so you dont overwrite something valueable like the "windows experience index" xml file and then ask for permission to copy them. Copying a single large file is not too much of a problem. But trying to copy a bunch of little files. results in doom.

    Also the Out of Memory Exception is a particular annoyance that plagues me personally on my laptop. WHen trying to copy a large file between disks like from a CD to the HD or from HD to a flash drive over like 200Mb, it results in a huge system slow down, RAM goes to 100%, CPU goes to 100%, and after a while it comes back "Out of Memory" and cancels the transfer. This one has even stumped Microsoft because their tech files even say "we know it is a problem, we dont know how to fix it". So when doing large file transfers I have to open the command prompt and copy it that way with switches so it doesnt do the network check...


    Should I go on?

    So dont defend something you don't know about. People say Vista is crap, because it is crap. It looks pretty though.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Streets & Trips 2007 not taking Sendkeys
    By HyperSprite in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 07:25 PM
  2. dont know if this belongs here but...
    By V6Stang in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 12:01 PM
  3. SwitchButton problems
    By wfs1 in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 06:46 PM
  4. Microsoft, Fiat Announce In-Car Computers Partnership
    By uxu in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 07:45 PM
  5. Microsoft the big secret
    By mmendis in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •