Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Solution for running multiple Motherboards?

  1. #11
    Constant Bitrate sergatiuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    204
    HiJack, i would recommend you to wait a till november and get a hybrid motherboard that runs 2 systems simultaniously. check this out
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/29...obo/index.html
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
    >"Say what you mean and mean what you say"<

  2. #12
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by sergatiuk View Post
    HiJack, i would recommend you to wait a till november and get a hybrid motherboard that runs 2 systems simultaniously. check this out
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/29...obo/index.html
    I hate you, you drive a Tundra.... I am so in love with that truck, and I really love the Sequoa, it has such a brute aggressive look to it.

    I will say that board is awesome, but another thing is size and power. I have to assume that board uses a h3ll of alot of power. Another thing is size, I needed the smallest setup possible and this was the best I could come up with. Its also so easy to power the INTEL ATOM boards.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate sergatiuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    204
    haha yea the new toyotas are awesome, and the PC looks awesome in there.
    and regarding the mobo, yes it draws a ton of power, 145watt when running 2 OSs so for your purpose u probably better off with a bunch of little atoms.
    however the hybrid mobo setup is good for people who want to have the power in the front for the driver and have the atom running for the kids in the back.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
    >"Say what you mean and mean what you say"<

  4. #14
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by sergatiuk View Post
    HiJack, i would recommend you to wait a till november and get a hybrid motherboard that runs 2 systems simultaniously. check this out
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/29...obo/index.html
    Wow that's crazy business..Cool.
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

  5. #15
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    I know its over board, but with you driving an Altima (big trunk), you could get 4 in there, one for each passenger. You have to network them, otherwise you would have to get everything double, like Wi-Fi, AirCard and what not. Thats a pain in the @$$. Basically the other units will share the main units Wi-Fi, AirCard, DVD ROM and SD Card reader. The networking was a nightmare with the cabling though.
    I don't think its overboard at all..I just would not need or use that many not to mention i choose not to install any PC's in my trunk..especially with 4 subs pounding back there. Just my preference..that trunk space is being left for my audio system.
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

  6. #16
    ez_
    ez_ is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    stockton, ca
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
    Don't know if any of you are following my worklog, but the as of late, I have decided to install 6 more PC units. Basically one for each passenger. Originally I was going to with the D945GSEJT http://store.mp3car.com/D945GSEJT_p/mtb-061.htm because of the thinness of the board. Recent adjustments to the special case that holds all 6, allows me more freedom to put any size mini-itx board I want. This will also allow me to cut costs. One thing about the INTEL board listed above is that it has its own PSU built in to distribute power. So all I need to do is apply regulated 12V power to it.

    Now I was thinking about going for the BOXD945GCLF2D http://store.mp3car.com/product_p/mtb-057-0002.htm because it is dual core. My question is, can I tie multiple MoBos to one PSU. I am not sure about the power usage of the BOXD945GCLF2D compared to the D945GSEJT, but because its dual core I have to assume it uses a bit more power. So I am going to say maybe two M4-ATX units can power all 6 boards? How do I calculate how much everything will need? So is it possible to do something like that? Also the PSU will always be on if the main PC is on. So the PSU is in dumby mode and controlled by my OPUS 320 via a relay. Can a MoBo be shut off even though the PSU is still on? I do not need shut down, because I plan to use EWF and HORM.

    Any help would be great! Thanx!!!!!!!

    thanx alot! that 1st mobo link u posted introduced me to eusb ssd i had no idea. it just stickes in 1 of the usb headers. that is more than big enough to xp or (i dunno why would you do that)vista. i am going to get this(after i find out its compatibility) and use a ssd for games and a external usb 4 movies / video. thanx alot

  7. #17
    Constant Bitrate Sleepyz0mby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    PanamaCityBeach/NewOrleans
    Posts
    171
    hijack have u figured out how your going to do separate screens?

  8. #18
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by ez_ View Post
    thanx alot! that 1st mobo link u posted introduced me to eusb ssd i had no idea. it just stickes in 1 of the usb headers. that is more than big enough to xp or (i dunno why would you do that)vista. i am going to get this(after i find out its compatibility) and use a ssd for games and a external usb 4 movies / video. thanx alot
    Your welcome..... I have never heard of eUSB SSD. What I decided to do is just use standard 2.5 HDD. The reason I did this is because they are so cheap. A 20GB sata drive ran me $11.95. All I plan to do is setup one machine, then make a copy of the HDD (an image) save it on CD and on my media drive and if anything goes wrong, I have the image on hand. I honestly don't care for SSD on these computers because they weren't meant for blazing speed. They are meant simply for basics.

    Now my main PC, which is built for speed will get 2 SSD in Raid 0. That should give it blazing speed. I also plan to use Win 7 for hybrid sleep. On the six other PC units, they will get XP with EWF and HORM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyz0mby View Post
    hijack have u figured out how your going to do separate screens?
    Yes, i actually have all the parts to accomplish this. What I did is buy 6 IOGEAR KVMP units. These are one of the first KVM switches that allows you to connect a USB Peripheral other then a mouse and keyboard. In fact the P stands for peripheral. This allows me to connect a keyboard and the touchscreen. The KVMP also does audio switching, so if you use your headphones, you can switch between PC 1 and PC 2 audio. If IOGEAR would not have released this product, I wouldn't have been able to do this. They are expensive though at $80.00 a piece. Thankfully I found a liquidation sale that was selling 4 of them for $20.00 a piece. I later found another sale that was selling the final two I needed for $50.00 a piece. The only thing I have to work out is how the main PC switches audio between the speakers and the headphones. I am not sure if Flux has worked out the bugs yet with the soundcard toggle feature.

    As far as power is concerned, I had to go with a three PSU setup. Basically I plan to build a box to hold the PSU units and 3 relays. The relays are so the main PC PSU can turn on and off the PSU units. Basically there will be 2 PC units, 2 KVMP, 1 USB 7 port hub, and a few other 5V devices per PSU. The PSUs will be set to dumby mode, meaning they wont work with ignition. Instead the main PSU will trip the relays and give them power. I have to also rig them so they think a mother board is connected, which is easy, otherwise they wont turn on.

    That is pretty much it. In theory it should work. I am buying one of the rear PC units tomorrow to build the image for the PC units. After that I have to buy the rest of them and the relays and PSU units.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  9. #19
    Constant Bitrate Sleepyz0mby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    PanamaCityBeach/NewOrleans
    Posts
    171
    nice ... sounds like you found a semi-cost effective solution

    but i ran across a neat screen that might beat using a bunch of separate pc's. FingerVU video i posted it earlier thinking that you might see it and leave comments on what you thought of it. i have to sort out a non-usb dual display first before i can get the green light for two of these, but i think i will by the end of the year... any who im rambling, sorry

    SoundGraph fourms and support seem good.

    haha i might never finish my carpc

  10. #20
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyz0mby View Post
    nice ... sounds like you found a semi-cost effective solution

    but i ran across a neat screen that might beat using a bunch of separate pc's. FingerVU video i posted it earlier thinking that you might see it and leave comments on what you thought of it. i have to sort out a non-usb dual display first before i can get the green light for two of these, but i think i will by the end of the year... any who im rambling, sorry

    SoundGraph fourms and support seem good.

    haha i might never finish my carpc
    These devices are pretty cool! So basically it has its own GUI for each screen? Well I would consicider these but I also want to do LAN gaming, so I need the seperate units. Also, what if all screens are being used, will it bog down the system? Say everyone is watching a movie?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Intercontinental/Worldwide GPS Solution
    By xxsunshinegodxx in forum GPS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
  2. Unifying Driver Deployment - Central Solution to Avoid Multiple CDs
    By tempgp in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 11:23 PM
  3. Multiple Monitors and Multiple inputs
    By nixneon in forum Newbie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 07:30 PM
  4. Best Video Capturing Solution?
    By Danceheaven in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 01:12 PM
  5. Does anyone have a multiple LCD screen setup?
    By Choser in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 11:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •