Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Back after 1.5yr of no CarPc, Help me spend my money! Whats new/best?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Space Coast Florida
    Posts
    26

    Post Back after 1.5yr of no CarPc, Help me spend my money! Whats new/best?

    Hello all

    Haven't been on here in ages and havent tinkered with my carpc for even longer. I got frustrated a few months after CF2 came out and gave up on the carpc (mainly due to CF2). I pulled my monitor out of the car for a robot project and havent fooled with it since and that was a year and a half ago. I'd like to get back in the game I have some money from a bonus burning a hole in my pocket and if I wait to long reality will kick in and I'll end up using it for bills so I need to spend it quick!!

    I need a new monitor and I've seen on mocoso they have capacitance liliput 7s now. Does anyone know if they are better in the daylight than the regular resistance 7s from 2 years ago? I still cant justify the money of the transreflective. Any other recommendations? I'd like to stay with a lilput because I know with out the bezel the screen fits perfect in the space the factory nav would normally be, but I'm willing to explore other options. Are the USB powered ones any good?

    Whats new in the way of front ends? I see there is a CF4 out but it seems to be the same story of CF2, CF3, CF3.5 buggy buggy buggy is this really true? I'm still sick I paid full price for CF2

    Navigation? Whats new and great? I use to run the iGuidance which seem to be the best then. Surely something better has come along? Oh I cant believe CF is still using destinator? Seriously?! I thought they were supposed to have a new engine back for CF3? still the same story in CF4?

    Bluetooth? Has anyone used the Phoenix MT107 mocoso has? Reads to be promising but a lot of things do.

    Finally Mp3cars iphone Mimcs? This looks really exciting if it was a little more polished I would be all over this and sell my carpc. Still very cool huge props to the super smart person/s who has pulled that off.


    So there it is folks hope you can help? I am going to start reading through the forms to try and catch up just hope some of you can help me speed up the process. I'd like to start ordering stuff tomorrow

    Thanks in advanced!

    One last thing I'm still on XP on the car pc I do have a legit win7 I can put on it. I moved to Mac about the same time I quit the carpc. Is it time to upgrade to win7 or is xp still where its at?
    Last edited by lr3guyjoe; 10-28-2011 at 01:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Mod - iPad Forums RipplingHurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    2,176
    Check out the thread on a Samsung panel, near transflective for ~140.00. There's a capacitive multi touch kit for that panel too, for extra cash.

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate ephect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    100
    igo still looks nice, Destinator 9 works well too.

    CdR is back on the scene and freeice v2 looks and works amazing, plus its free!

  4. #4
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    only a year 1/2? not much has changed since then..

    Quote Originally Posted by lr3guyjoe View Post
    Hello all

    Haven't been on here in ages and havent tinkered with my carpc for even longer. I got frustrated a few months after CF2 came out and gave up on the carpc (mainly due to CF2). I pulled my monitor out of the car for a robot project and havent fooled with it since and that was a year and a half ago. I'd like to get back in the game I have some money from a bonus burning a hole in my pocket and if I wait to long reality will kick in and I'll end up using it for bills so I need to spend it quick!!

    I need a new monitor and I've seen on mocoso they have capacitance liliput 7s now. Does anyone know if they are better in the daylight than the regular resistance 7s from 2 years ago? I still cant justify the money of the transreflective. Any other recommendations? I'd like to stay with a lilput because I know with out the bezel the screen fits perfect in the space the factory nav would normally be, but I'm willing to explore other options. Are the USB powered ones any good?
    imo, the high brightness 669 with capacitive touch is going to be the best screen without going to transflective.

    i have had a couple of screens(629, 669 low brightness TR, 669 cap HB TR), and there is a improvement in the clarity of the image while using a capacitive ts.

    of note-- the 669 uses different internals then the 629/701, so while it 'should' fit in the same area, keep it in mind.(they both fit the same bybte bezel at least...)

    usb screens--i don't ever recommend them for the primary screen use. they will not display any info until after the pc has loaded windows, which will prevent you from seeing any pre-windows errors that could arise. they are great as secondary screens, though that is all i would recommend them for..

    Quote Originally Posted by lr3guyjoe View Post
    Whats new in the way of front ends? I see there is a CF4 out but it seems to be the same story of CF2, CF3, CF3.5 buggy buggy buggy is this really true? I'm still sick I paid full price for CF2

    Navigation? Whats new and great? I use to run the iGuidance which seem to be the best then. Surely something better has come along? Oh I cant believe CF is still using destinator? Seriously?! I thought they were supposed to have a new engine back for CF3? still the same story in CF4?
    lots of talk, no changes....

    Quote Originally Posted by lr3guyjoe View Post
    Bluetooth? Has anyone used the Phoenix MT107 mocoso has? Reads to be promising but a lot of things do.
    don't know..

    Quote Originally Posted by lr3guyjoe View Post
    Finally Mp3cars iphone Mimcs? This looks really exciting if it was a little more polished I would be all over this and sell my carpc. Still very cool huge props to the super smart person/s who has pulled that off.
    +1

    the only problem i have with it is the fact that you need to jailbreak the phone for it to work, though that is part of my issue against apple, and really has nothing to do with the developer of mimics..


    Quote Originally Posted by lr3guyjoe View Post
    One last thing I'm still on XP on the car pc I do have a legit win7 I can put on it. I moved to Mac about the same time I quit the carpc. Is it time to upgrade to win7 or is xp still where its at?
    i'd say it's personal preferance. imo, most carpc setups are not seeing the OS much anyways, and AFAIK, all current hardware/software will work with xp, so i see no reason to upgrade unless you really want to...

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate kegobeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    629
    To add on to soundman's post - there are two versions of the 669, a 4 wire and a 5 wire. Make sure you stick with the 4 wire, because the 5 wire is too large for a bybyte bezel.
    1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26
    Honestly, since moving to the android tablet setup, I am much happier with my install. Cleaner, leaner, and cheaper thus far. I thought about going the mimics route for awhile but in the end I still didnt want to deal with pc touch screens.

    Just my $.02

Similar Threads

  1. before i spend silly money on radio
    By carputer1 in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM
  2. Spend my money for me
    By hafleystyles in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2006, 08:08 PM
  3. Got free PC - what should I spend money on upgrading?
    By BlackGTi in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 08:58 PM
  4. whats the best bluetooth PC dongle money can buy?
    By bertybassett in forum PhoneControl
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 09:41 AM
  5. money to spend to cruise the internet
    By D-Rob76 in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •