Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: I wish I had a radar detector!

  1. #11
    Banned xdjxklusivex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA (909,951)
    Posts
    2,742
    wow man that sucks *** if its ur 1st offence u cant get jail time i know that forsure my friend was doin 140 he just got a bigass ticket--- why would they kick u out of college for speeding??

  2. #12
    Poet Laureate rustyboxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Côte d'Azur of England - Hot totty central
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobelli
    I don't actually wish I had a radar detector, i wish i wasnt stupid enough to speed. However it is rediculous that I could go to jail for it. Take away my license, but jailtime is a punishment unfit for the crime
    Oh, and don't forget Fifi the 25 stone biker from hell waiting in the jail showers for some new blood to pick up the soap. That's rough just for speeding.
    Only true postwhores remember everything they post

    REP CLUB IS DEAD
    LONG LIVE REP CLUB

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate dexy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobelli
    I was on my way to Montreal for spring break. I'm cruising down the NY thruway, conditions are beautiful, the car is handling well, and nobody was around so i wasn't really paying attention to how fast i was going. That is until I looked in my rearview mirror and there was a trooper following me. He claims he clocked me at 106 (unlikely since the governer in my civic cuts the fuel at 100) and slapped with a ticket for going 41 over as well as a ticket for reckless driving. He hauled me to the Schroon Lake court room (he had to cuff me "for his safety") where I was arraigned and released for a bail of $1050. Now i'm told that if i'm convicted I will loose my license, go to jail for up to a year, and be kicked out of college. All for speeding...

    Well, just thought i'd share my story. Partly as a warning to others and partly cause i'm looking for some comforting words after a hard trip.

    - Cobelli
    That trooper is rediculous or you must have argued with him. Most cops dont write you that high of a ticket even if you are doing such speeds. I think he went all out on you. I'm guessing that highway was a 65. Traffic moves at an average of 80-85 on interstate travel. I doubt the speed limiter story will change things, use another excuse(cause its like ok you're trying to argue that you're going 100 not 106), which is still screwed up.
    When you go into court, tell them that you weren't going 100, u were doing like 90 or something(with a straight *** face).
    There are many excuses, do research but dont admit even 100.

    my friend gave some excuse about his wheel size messed up his speedometer, so he didnt know.(so they gave him lesser fine).

    Another(from europe) said that he didn't know that mph was bigger than kmph(same result lesser fine)

    Its all about money and the psychology you tackle the situation with.
    First you have to admit you were speeding and that you are truly sorry, you wouldnt recommend such a thing, but there was a sad reason for your speeding, however you didn't hit 106. Also the troopers usually have a plead deal for you.(depending on the emotional state between u and him).

  4. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    Damn, going to jail for speeding, thats strict.

    You know, you shouldnt really be speeding in public road.

    For anyone who like to speed, just go on the race track. You find that you are not that brave after all...and not as good a driver you thought you were.

  5. #15
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by kmccann

    on the topic of radar detectors...they are a waste of money. i've never owned one, but everyone one i know who does, has atleast one speeding ticket while using it. false security. if your radar detector can pick up the cop's radar, the cop's radar can catch you. so, if your radar detector is beeping, its most likely too late. at the very least, he will see you slamming on your breaks and just make up some number and say you were speeding. which brings up a good point. you can ask to see the radar if you dont believe the number.
    You dont own one. How can you comment on something you dont own/use? Radar dectectors arent ticket free device's.

    I wish I had the money to produce a radar dectector. Like the V1/Escort/Bel etc. Theirs big bucks in selling dectectors!

  6. #16
    Low Bitrate 99bravada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    105

    Let up on the guy

    Ok, I'm sure he feels bad enough for what he's going through... no need to rub salt in the wound or throw stones from glass houses.

    I'll probbaly get flamed for the following, but it is based on fact: Most of us have gotten at least one ticket and the fact of the matter is the whole ticketing scheme is set up primarily to fund local and state law enforcement budgets using the guise of public safety.

    Public safety is certainly important, but to the cop who is driving a chevy lumina and wants an LS1 Camaro for the next fiscal year, he is going to make sure his department's budget is met (he also needs to put food on the table). That is why smaller towns have speed traps and the larger towns are focusing on more important issues. Everything in life has a budget, even churches...

    In the case of our friend, he was on the highway so it's not a matter of small town persecution; however, I agree, the punishment really doesn't fit the crime. I would definitely get a lawyer and get proof of that governor... that could bust the case in itself - meaning the cop's equipment is either faulty and/or he is a corksoaker. Also, don't know how it works in the case of a trooper, but if you take it to court and he doesn't even show, you could get off on that alone.

    Good luck...
    Current:
    2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon | 20" KMC Rockstars | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper | Kicker KX350.4 amp

  7. #17
    Raw Wave BoyNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Walden, NY
    Posts
    2,115
    Quote Originally Posted by 99bravada
    Ok, I'm sure he feels bad enough for what he's going through... no need to rub salt in the wound or throw stones from glass houses.

    I'll probbaly get flamed for the following, but it is based on fact: Most of us have gotten at least one ticket and the fact of the matter is the whole ticketing scheme is set up primarily to fund local and state law enforcement budgets using the guise of public safety.

    Public safety is certainly important, but to the cop who is driving a chevy lumina and wants an LS1 Camaro for the next fiscal year, he is going to make sure his department's budget is met (he also needs to put food on the table). That is why smaller towns have speed traps and the larger towns are focusing on more important issues. Everything in life has a budget, even churches...

    Good luck...
    Nop reason to flame... It's true... sad, but true. If you decide on getting a detector think of the Bel Vector 995. It's what i have, and it kicks ***. I hear beeps and see the cop a half mile later... or a mile on open teritory. It also has POP the nwe technology...

    cheers

  8. #18
    Newbie kmccann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer
    You dont own one. How can you comment on something you dont own/use? Radar dectectors arent ticket free device's.

    I wish I had the money to produce a radar dectector. Like the V1/Escort/Bel etc. Theirs big bucks in selling dectectors!
    i never said i have never used one. i borrowed a friends when we drove my car on a road trip last summer. didnt think it was anything worth spending money on. if its not a "ticket free device"...i was born with the gift of sight and that was free. has the same guarantee as a detector.

    on the subject of how much radar detector suck though...do cop cars have any sort of tracking devices in them? like lo-jack or stuff like that? it would be cool to have every cop in the world mapped out on my gps...ha. but i suppose if that was possible someone would have done it. you could justify it with the same logic they use on radar detectors. it just gives the driver a warning about emergency vehicles. then maybe people would stop running into ambulances.

  9. #19
    Newbie kmccann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by frodobaggins
    Myth. The cop does NOT have to show you.

    oh yea...i foregot.

    are you sure about this? im not saying youre wrong, but it would seem pretty bogus if the cop wouldnt show you. i mean if the number is there, just show me.

    kind of related..what if a cop said you were going 20 mph over the limit when you were doing the speed limit? how could you dispute that?

    and i know one of the things you can bring up in court is the calibration of the gun. theyre supposed to keep records of that. atleast thats what ive heard. maybe thats a myth too . as you can see, im no expert on police procedure.

  10. #20
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,618
    Quote Originally Posted by dexy
    I doubt the speed limiter story will change things, use another excuse(cause its like ok you're trying to argue that you're going 100 not 106), which is still screwed up.
    I disagree, it the car is limited to 100 and the cop says he clocked you at 106 then one of the following applies, he is lying, his equiptment is faulty, or the limiter is faulty.

    If the limiter is faulty then tough ticket is valid.

    If either of the other two then the evidence is unreliable therefore no charge.


    Just coz he says the car has a limiter at 100 does not mean he is admiting he did 100, he is just saying there is no way he could be doing what the patrolman said.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Radar Detector
    By lgbr in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:20 PM
  2. Radar detector under the hood - models?
    By ErikGreen in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 11:19 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 10:24 PM
  4. radar detector with pc interface
    By aoLhaTer in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 01:19 PM
  5. Anyone have a Cobra radar detector?
    By schrodos in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2001, 04:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •