Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Dual Exhausts...fabrication?

  1. #1
    FLAC sdashiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Floreeda
    Posts
    1,084

    Dual Exhausts...fabrication?

    Ever see those people with ricer bod kits that on the back bumper has two cutouts for the exhaust, prolly so they only need to make one body kit for either left or right sided exhausts.

    i think it looks ****en gay/ugly/moronic to have a body kit with an empty exhaust cutout/hole.

    Not that I have a body kit, i just want dual exhaust for looks/performance etc.

    What is involved in removing my stock muffler/pipe and connecting a Y pipe to the cat. converter and then throwing on two (not neccesarrily racing mufflers, anyone would work) mufflers out the back.

    This I think would be better for any car seeing as how the engine now has half the resistance, AND even better because (as most stock cars) my muffled does like 2 ninety degree turns from the cat. converter to muffler. And adding this Y with dual mufflers would be a straight shot from cat. converter to the back of the car....

    anyone do this?
    (0.0%-) starting over
    iPad 3G 64GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL10W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate 84RegalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    427
    If u half it, it could cause problems with egr. Too low of pressure and it can cause problems, but since u are going after cat and not making a real dual exhaust it shouldnt be a problem. But anyways, should be ez, after the Y pipe u just need to route the pipes so that it wont hit the travel of the back axle. Fab up some hangers, and that should be it. Might mess u up when u go to get your car smogged so i would check that out.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    342
    If you have an inline engine the only real benefit is looks. Its heavier and wont flow any better.
    Is this where the witty comment goes?
    97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

  4. #4
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth97
    If you have an inline engine the only real benefit is looks. Its heavier and wont flow any better.
    Ditto. I'd do a good single setup, that would run down the passenger's side

  5. #5
    MySQL Error scott_fx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    3,995
    look into the dual tip mufflers that are on the miata. i think it's dealer alternative that makes them. this would be your best solution if you want the dual tip look
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

    My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx
    look into the dual tip mufflers that are on the miata. i think it's dealer alternative that makes them. this would be your best solution if you want the dual tip look
    Dealer Alternative= FM. well over $500. Screw them.

    Look into Racing beat, or Borla if youre going to go that route.
    Is this where the witty comment goes?
    97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

  7. #7
    FLAC NiN^_^NiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Australia, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,230
    I did what you want to do and got a muffler with dual outlets then had twin tips on each pipe it looks great and sounds better and is a bit faster compared to the stock muffler that thing was HUGE and heavy.
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by sdashiki
    Ever see those people with ricer bod kits that on the back bumper has two cutouts for the exhaust, prolly so they only need to make one body kit for either left or right sided exhausts.

    i think it looks ****en gay/ugly/moronic to have a body kit with an empty exhaust cutout/hole.

    Not that I have a body kit, i just want dual exhaust for looks/performance etc.

    What is involved in removing my stock muffler/pipe and connecting a Y pipe to the cat. converter and then throwing on two (not neccesarrily racing mufflers, anyone would work) mufflers out the back.

    This I think would be better for any car seeing as how the engine now has half the resistance, AND even better because (as most stock cars) my muffled does like 2 ninety degree turns from the cat. converter to muffler. And adding this Y with dual mufflers would be a straight shot from cat. converter to the back of the car....

    anyone do this?
    it's funny how you say that the body kits are ricey, when dual exhaust on a matrix will be the same.

    i'd laugh if i saw pics of this. not only will it look tacky, i highly doubt it will increase performance by much.

  9. #9
    FLAC evandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    937
    yeah, spending the extra time and money to do a custom pseudo-dual-exhaust setup when you'd get equal or better performance out of a normal performance exhaust system, for less money... smells like rice to me.
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate Yuriy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    817
    Careful, too low resistance will kill your lo-end torque and ricer Civics will beat you off the start. I had that problem, had to compensate for less restriction by altering the timing/fuel curves cuz right after I put the exhaust it actually became *slower*. I have an inline 4 cylinder, DOHC, two and a quarter piping throughout, but stock headers.
    00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
    Newest install - my quickest ever
    My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
    My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mmmm.. dual core w/ hyperthread = 4 processors
    By Don 944 LA in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 08:34 AM
  2. FS: Dual PIII Server MOBO $25
    By kderedwolf in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 06:12 PM
  3. Need a quick and simple reply about Dual Monitor!
    By MaleBuffy in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 03:29 AM
  4. Successful Dual Video outs
    By lostreception in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 03:44 AM
  5. Custom Fabrication Work?
    By mattdisaster in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 11:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •