Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Greastest dumbass moment ive ever had

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    201

    Greastest dumbass moment ive ever had

    Ok this story makes me look like a complete idiot but i thought you guys might like it. Ive been away from carpc's and this forum for quite sometime now. Basically cuz sever electrical shock will make you question what the hell it is you are doing.

    I grew up in BFE land out in the country and one day goin back out to my parents house i saw an electric fence. And i saw it was one of those cool solar powered ones. So i thinks to myself, "self why not disect that som***** and see if it could make a solar powered solution for always keeping your carpc on." Now if youre someone who knows about electrical engineering or are a genius or something this might not sound stupid. But i dont know any of this stuff. All i know is these style electric fences can pack a punch. (played with em as a kid) May explain somethings. Anyways i found an old one of these at my parents farm. Took it home and took it all apart. Not a whole lot in there. Thought it would be simple.

    Here is the stupid part. I have no idea if they are AC or DC. I assumed AC by the ticking noise they make. And the fact this one could also be plugged in. (Probably shouldnt have been drinking while i did all of this.) The unit i had was missing the ground plug on the cord. I guess it broke off.

    Anyways to shorten this story i had the electric fence charger, and inverter, and an old amplifier. Something went wrong somewhere and plugging the ***** in caused a blown circuit in my house, some odd smells, sparks, smoke, and it about knocked my *** out cold.

    Therefore i present to why dumb country ****s like myself shouldnt play with electricity.

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Posts
    92
    Now Thats funny right there....I don't care who ya are....thats funny..

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    272
    wow, you made me ****ty month...that much happier, thank you

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    201
    i told you it was a dumbass idea of mine. But honestly i think if i wasnt half drunk the idea might have worked. And it could be awsome if i did a little research before the attempt.

    glad so see it made some of you laugh

  5. #5
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Some things you learn the hard way.

    I've always been wary of electricity, or rather since an incident quite some time ago.

    I've been getting into electronics the last few years and getting a lot more comfortable, but AC still scares the **** out of me.

    About 15 years ago, I had this strobe light that was broken. Turns out the bulb wasn't soldered right and one of the legs came out of the perf board.

    So I try and push it back (like an idiot without unplugging it). In the process, my hand slips off the glass and onto the lead. Zap! My fingers clamp down and I couldn't let it go. It hurt like hell.

    My girl totally freaks out, just screaming "Oh my God!" over and over, but not doing anything helpful like, I dunno, unplugging it?

    It seemed like forever, but it was probably under 30 seconds. I concentrate with all my might to open my grasp, finally my fingers pay attention.

    I was furious at her. The only time I ever yelled at her, but man I was ****ed.

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate 84RegalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    427
    sounds like shes a winner.
    haha
    jk, she was probably just more scared then you were.

    you got pretty luck that you could open ur hand.
    Core duo
    1tb harddrive
    256 ddr
    8 lilliput
    bu-353

    still installing...

  7. #7
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by 84RegalRider
    sounds like shes a winner.
    haha
    jk, she was probably just more scared then you were.

    you got pretty luck that you could open ur hand.
    Oh yeah, she just freaked. I was only mad for a second.

    It was extremely difficult to let go. I just focused it all up on the one action. I'd imagine it was the neural equivallent of screaming.

  8. #8
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    84
    I thought it was DC that kept you there?...

  9. #9
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by rudeboymcc
    I thought it was DC that kept you there?...
    No idea... just know that it did. I haven't examined a strobe's inside since, so no idea if they're AC or DC internally, but I'd think AC.

    Another good shock is working on telephone wiring when someone calls. That stings

  10. #10
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Guess it's both.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_shock
    'Let go' current

    With sufficiently high current there can be a muscular spasm which causes the affected person to grip and be unable to release from the current source. The maximum current that can cause the flexors of the arm to contract but that allows a person to release his hand from the current's source is termed the let-go current. For DC, the let-go current is about 75 mA for a 70-kg man. For alternating current, the let go current is about 15 mA, dependent on muscle mass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2005, 12:17 PM
  2. dumbass at obd stuff help me out
    By xdjxklusivex in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 02:58 AM
  3. Last navi question for the week...day.. err moment!
    By Sonicxtacy02 in forum PowerVoice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 09:56 AM
  4. please take a moment to help this noob....
    By hxcsemu in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 02:54 AM
  5. Diode Polarity (This is REALLY dumbass :) )
    By Andrew Chappell in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-17-2002, 08:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •