Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: basic xp troubleshooting

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate NoTicketsPlease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    89

    basic xp troubleshooting

    Its a real pain troubleshooting my carpc otherwise I would do trial and error etc. instead of posting here but...please help.

    I got a boot error(something about registry error) so I choose "Use last known good configuration". The problem is that the last known configuration seems to be from a long time ago. Is there any way I can get back to the 'bad' configuration and troubleshoot it? Or get my settings back some other way? What did I lose exactly?

    Thanks
    Windows XP is ****!!!
    AMD Sempron 3000+, ASRockVM800, 256MB, 250GB 3.5", DVDRW+, WIFIg, m2-atx, Lilliput 8", RR, GoogleEarth
    Need: daylight viewable screen!

  2. #2
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTicketsPlease
    Its a real pain troubleshooting my carpc otherwise I would do trial and error etc. instead of posting here but...please help.

    I got a boot error(something about registry error) so I choose "Use last known good configuration". The problem is that the last known configuration seems to be from a long time ago. Is there any way I can get back to the 'bad' configuration and troubleshoot it? Or get my settings back some other way? What did I lose exactly?

    Thanks

    Can you get into safemode? If you can, when it asks you if you want to do a system restore, say that you want to (I think you select No, but I'm not sure). It then gives you a calender date to choose from. Choose the last known good restore point, and then just continue.

    Good Luck,

    Rafster

    P.S. What part of Deigo are you in? I'm in Bonita/Chula Vista

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate NoTicketsPlease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafster
    Can you get into safemode? If you can, when it asks you if you want to do a system restore, say that you want to (I think you select No, but I'm not sure). It then gives you a calender date to choose from. Choose the last known good restore point, and then just continue.

    Good Luck,

    Rafster

    P.S. What part of Deigo are you in? I'm in Bonita/Chula Vista
    I could see the option for safemode but did not go into it. Ill give that a try, thanks.

    Im just north of sdsu in allied gardens
    Windows XP is ****!!!
    AMD Sempron 3000+, ASRockVM800, 256MB, 250GB 3.5", DVDRW+, WIFIg, m2-atx, Lilliput 8", RR, GoogleEarth
    Need: daylight viewable screen!

  4. #4
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTicketsPlease
    I could see the option for safemode but did not go into it. Ill give that a try, thanks.

    Im just north of sdsu in allied gardens
    Cool, you might be interested in the So. Cal. meet on 6/24/06...
    SoCal Meet, June 24th Huntington Beach

    They're a lot of fun. There's already at least 2 people from S.D. going..

    I can't go because I'll be in Tx., but see if you can make it.

    Peace,

    Rafster

  5. #5
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafster
    Cool, you might be interested in the So. Cal. meet on 6/24/06...
    SoCal Meet, June 24th Huntington Beach

    They're a lot of fun. There's already at least 2 people from S.D. going..

    I can't go because I'll be in Tx., but see if you can make it.
    Dude, that is the same reason that I won't be able to go....

    Of course I live in Texas, so it's not quite the same...
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate NoTicketsPlease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafster
    Can you get into safemode? If you can, when it asks you if you want to do a system restore, say that you want to (I think you select No, but I'm not sure). It then gives you a calender date to choose from. Choose the last known good restore point, and then just continue.

    Good Luck,

    Rafster

    P.S. What part of Deigo are you in? I'm in Bonita/Chula Vista
    I went into safe mode and the only option it gave me was to choose the OS(of which there was one). Is this normal?
    Windows XP is ****!!!
    AMD Sempron 3000+, ASRockVM800, 256MB, 250GB 3.5", DVDRW+, WIFIg, m2-atx, Lilliput 8", RR, GoogleEarth
    Need: daylight viewable screen!

Similar Threads

  1. Software Review: Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition!
    By nFiniteTuning in forum The Review Palace
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
  2. Help Neede @ My Life End With Cf & Xp
    By scooby8272 in forum WinNT Based
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 10:59 AM
  3. Run WinCE & XP together
    By ShawJohn in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 06:09 PM
  4. Difference between Windows XP Home & XP Pro?
    By grandamp3 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 06:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •