Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: I Need Your Opinion on this Steering Wheel

  1. #1
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481

    I Need Your Opinion on this Steering Wheel

    Car is a 99 Trans Am. This is a completely different steering wheel I'm trying to decide about using. Yes, it is real wood grain and leather. Wood grain is the theme of the car.

    Basically, how does it look?
    Like it was factory?
    Like an aftermarket?
    Look nice?
    Ugly?
    Etc...




    My other question is what can I do with the 12 buttons? I have 7 mapped right now.
    Volume up/down
    song up/down
    page up/down
    and pause

    What are some commonly used buttons that I could program in?
    (I'm using RR, BTW)

    Oh yea, anyone know who can re-label the buttons for me? There must be some company out there who can do it.
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  2. #2
    _
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    13,500
    it looks rather large IMO.

    however, with everything else you have planned for the car, I think you should be able to pull it off.

    for the other buttons, you could have a FF and a RW button(s).

    a button to take you to nav, one to take you to sat rad if you're running it?
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6
    It looks really snazzy to me.. How makes it? Does it come in non wood colors for the solid parts? thanks in advance for the info.

    Ken

  4. #4
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
    it looks rather large IMO.

    however, with everything else you have planned for the car, I think you should be able to pull it off.

    for the other buttons, you could have a FF and a RW button(s).

    a button to take you to nav, one to take you to sat rad if you're running it?
    It's the same size as stock, 15" diameter. I suppose a smaller diameter may look nicer, but the stock size isn't any kind of problem for me. If i were to use an aftermarket non-airbag wheel I might get a 14" or so, but that's another story. I'm not sure I want to ditch the airbag, yet.

    I never really use the FF and RW buttons. Is it only for use in moving through a song or does it have some other function?

    I plan to add XM and GPS later on. I think there is a direct button press that can take me those 2. Then a buttom press for Audio. Maybe I can take one button and have it cycle through Audio, Radio and GPS. That's all i would need, really. I'll have to try it out.
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  5. #5
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Midshipman Easy View Post
    It looks really snazzy to me.. How makes it? Does it come in non wood colors for the solid parts? thanks in advance for the info.
    It is not an aftermarket wheel. It's from a Cadillac Escalade. I would have to do serious modding to get it to fit. Basically cut out the center section from this wheel and from the stock wheel and then weld the stock center into the new wheel. It's far beyond what the average person would want to try. I'm considering doing it simply because I have all the parts. Caddy wheel, extra stock wheel and the airbag. It's just a matter of the labor for me.

    Here's an old pic of the stock wheel for comparison purposes. I could have the stock wheel shipped off and converted to a wood grain, but I kind of like the caddy wheel better.

    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  6. #6
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    I don't think RR has a FF and RW button. It has that slider bar that you can click to move to any point in the song. Oh well, I could probably duplicate the volume and pause buttons to both sides. That would be handy, huh?
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate Pistolen08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tampabay, Florida
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
    I don't think RR has a FF and RW button. It has that slider bar that you can click to move to any point in the song. Oh well, I could probably duplicate the volume and pause buttons to both sides. That would be handy, huh?
    ..RR has FF and RW buttons, the skin you are using probably just doesn't use them.

  8. #8
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    I looked through all the commands in Girder as that is what will be doing the conversion and could not find any FF or RW controls. ?

    Anyway, I just wanted some input on the look of the wheel.

    The smaller airbag and the thicker rim really make a nice improvement in my opinion.
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
    It is not an aftermarket wheel. It's from a Cadillac Escalade. I would have to do serious modding to get it to fit. Basically cut out the center section from this wheel and from the stock wheel and then weld the stock center into the new wheel. It's far beyond what the average person would want to try. I'm considering doing it simply because I have all the parts. Caddy wheel, extra stock wheel and the airbag. It's just a matter of the labor for me.

    Here's an old pic of the stock wheel for comparison purposes. I could have the stock wheel shipped off and converted to a wood grain, but I kind of like the caddy wheel better.

    wouldn't you negate the buttons if you did that? i don't see how you can make your stock airbag fit with the smaller caddy airbag without chopping up the airbag, which isnt' a good idea.

    IMO, i wouldn't mess that much with an area containing an airbag and expect it to still function. if it were me, i'd just use the caddy wheel and have no airbag, if you want the wheel that badly.

  10. #10
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hou. TX
    Posts
    1,481
    I already have the caddy airbag, It plugs into the stock plug. No big deal there. You can see it in the pictures.

    OK, I think you are overestimating what would be cut out. I'm talking about a 2" circle right in the middle of the wheel. Not a 12" circle.
    1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
    CarPC's in F-bodies
    How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
    (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
    Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Solution To Steering Wheel Controls
    By jcdillin in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
  2. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
  3. GM Steering wheel control interface
    By S7347H in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 01:17 AM
  4. Installing a LCD into a steering wheel..need help!
    By DrSergioDJ in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 03:23 PM
  5. RF keyfob remotes for adhoc steering wheel controls?
    By archimense in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 04:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •