Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: mini-itx to micro-atx case???

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Laguna, Philippines
    Posts
    28

    mini-itx to micro-atx case???

    Can i use a micro-atx case for my mini-itx board?
    Would there be any problem on the mounting holes?
    Are they compatible? thanks!

  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,948
    I don't think that the mounting holes will line up.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    The hole sizes are somewhat correct. But it wont work. The micro-atx case has 6 screw holes 2 columns and 3 rows with 1 of the holes offset a bit. The itx has 4 (2x2) and the one that is offset is on a different side than the micro. So it will screw into a micro case, but the back panel will either face upor down instead of out the back.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  4. #4
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,286
    but its not to hard of a task to remove the back of the case, drill (3) new holes is in the mobo mounting sheet and put some standoffs in it. You're not hurting the case any, if tou want to put a uATX back on it, the new holes are covered (use screw-in standoffs so that they can be easily removed prior).
    It's been a while...

  5. #5
    DIGItonium
    Guest
    Yes, it will work. You only need to use 4 instead of 6 screws to hold the mini-itx board down. I know it because I transitioned from a uATX to a mini-ITX platform for my project.

    NO MODS are necessary. The I/O plate will align itself fine.

  6. #6
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by h3rk View Post
    but its not to hard of a task to remove the back of the case, drill (3) new holes is in the mobo mounting sheet and put some standoffs in it. You're not hurting the case any, if tou want to put a uATX back on it, the new holes are covered (use screw-in standoffs so that they can be easily removed prior).
    but if the case has those bubbles instead of holes for standoffs you're screwed! (pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by DIGItonium View Post
    Yes, it will work. You only need to use 4 instead of 6 screws to hold the mini-itx board down. I know it because I transitioned from a uATX to a mini-ITX platform for my project.

    NO MODS are necessary. The I/O plate will align itself fine.
    I went from my itx M10k to a uatx via 800Mhz C3 just for testing and it definately was rotated 90 degrees. Considering it is supposed to be a standard, this is weird. I switched back to my M10k though one reason being not to designanother case.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  7. #7
    FLAC Nomader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,291
    where did u find a micro ATX case... can't find any in europe

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Laguna, Philippines
    Posts
    28
    thanks alot guys. i'll but a uatx case later and do what suggested.
    I hope i can allign the i/o plate and pci slot as i'm planning to use
    pci wifi card.

    i'm from philippines and you can find any platform of case but not
    mini-itx.

  9. #9
    DIGItonium
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    I went from my itx M10k to a uatx via 800Mhz C3 just for testing and it definately was rotated 90 degrees. Considering it is supposed to be a standard, this is weird. I switched back to my M10k though one reason being not to designanother case.
    Yea, that's definitely weird. I switched from the MSI Speedster uATX to the Albatron mini-ITX. The board takes up the back corner at the I/O panel... no shifting. So I'm quite puzzled by the VIA layout.

Similar Threads

  1. New OPUS MINI ITX Case
    By Cheekz185 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 11:45 PM
  2. Micro ATX or ATX
    By custardbomb in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 06:48 AM
  3. found a car adapter for mini itx case!
    By e36mp3 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-04-2002, 04:06 PM
  4. dc dc psu for a micro atx case
    By y0manda in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2001, 06:04 PM
  5. micro / mini atx system w/ LCD and all the goodies
    By gizmomkr in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-09-2001, 03:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •