Check your COM port settings, namely baud rate.
I need help here.
I have just received my Garmin Mobile PC with the USB receiver.
It keeps on saying "searching for satellites" for several minutes.
First I was in a house, then I thought I should go outside. Went out for 5 min, still nothing. Then, I decided to drive around town for 15 min, still nothing.
Last resort, I go to a OPEN area, where I can see the sky no matter where I turn. Yes, the sky is CLEAR with no clouds whatsoever. Still no signal. Then finally, it showed 1 stick of signal then it goes away.
The GPS unit is a 20x, and I believe it should be very sensitive.
Am I the only one that's having the problem? Should I call this a defective unit?
I've tried everything, unplugging, changing usb ports, rebooting, etc. NOTHING works!!!
USB is a serial port.
There will be a USB-to-serial converter installed to read informtation from the gPS receiver.
Look in the device manager.
Make certain the COM port for the GPS receiver is set to 9600,N,8,1 in Device manager and in your application. (Note: If the manual for the receiver says something different, set the COM port to those settings.)
drop these guys a question on their forum.
or email garmin
I contacted Garmin tech support earlier today.
They tell me to install an update, which I did and still nothing.
There is no such "COM port" setting that needs to be done according to Garmin.
They conclude that it is a defective unit. I have ordered a new one and returning this one. I will report back once I get the new toy.
I had this exact problem with my system. I ended up putting the Garmin GPS on a powered USB hub, which fixed the problem. I also had some limited success switch USB ports.
I am getting the new unit today, so I will report back my findings.
I thought the USB port should have sufficient power for that tiny GPS. I don't have a Powered USB hub.