Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: If I install a PC or Ipad am I stuck using wireless GPS?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10

    If I install a PC or Ipad am I stuck using wireless GPS?

    I have a Chrysler 300 with a stock navigation. One thing I love is that the stock navigations in my cars works EVERYWHERE regardless of signal or weather.

    I want to start a Ipad or CarPC install but one thing that worries me is that I will be stuck using the wireless GPS. We have lots of "Boonies" in the Carolina's, Virginia's, etc. and I'd hate to get stuck somewhere with no wireless signal.

    Is there a way to use a factory type navigation that relies on the antenna instead of a wireless signal?

    All help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    I think you are confused about how GPS works.

    A group of 24 satellites orbits the earth transmitting the GPS signal. Your antenna can locate your car if it can see at least 4 of the satellites. You location, whether in the boonies or not, is immaterial.

    The only 'wireless' part of GPS is that some models use bluetooth, a very short range wireless technology to eliminate the wire you would normally plug into the pc.

    An iPad has two ways to find it's location.

    1. WiFi iPads look for know WiFi hotspots to try and figure out where they are. This is only semi-accurate and does NOT involve GPS.

    2. 3G iPads have a GPS antenna built in. As long as they are in reasonable view of the GPS satellites, the 3G iPad can locate itself quickly and accurately.

    Many of the iPad apps out there use maps that are online and require an internet connection. However, some do not. Tom Tom and Destinator load the maps on the iPad and do not require an internet connection. The 3G iPad can connect to cell tower's and get an internet connection if you pay for the monthly service subscription.

    The cell network is likely to be the weak link in the boonies but is not an issue if you use one of the apps that loads the maps on the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10
    Thank you for your reply.

    OK, so if I pay for a good GPS application I'll get a GPS signal in the boonies, desert, etc? Just like I do with my stock navigation radio in my Chrysler?

    This is the only thing I am worried about and the only thing holding me back. As a salesman I travel a LOT and find myself in some strange areas where I don't get any mobile phone reception for miles. It would suck to get stuck without GPS to lead me to my next customer.

  4. #4
    FLAC Machinehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    hijacks small portable city
    Posts
    1,381
    An application that has maps you load on your CarPC is key. That way you don't need wireless signal to load maps. The major applications (iGuidance, GMPC, etc.) come with maps.

  5. #5
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTonySRT8 View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

    OK, so if I pay for a good GPS application I'll get a GPS signal in the boonies, desert, etc? Just like I do with my stock navigation radio in my Chrysler?

    This is the only thing I am worried about and the only thing holding me back. As a salesman I travel a LOT and find myself in some strange areas where I don't get any mobile phone reception for miles. It would suck to get stuck without GPS to lead me to my next customer.

    i think there needs to be a little more clarification--

    the most common type of gps uses satellites orbiting the earth-- so as long as you can see the sky, you should be able to get a signal. the biggest problem most gps's have is when you cannot get a lock on the satellites-- usually when you are in between tall buildings in a city, or in a parking garage

    the primary difference between gps routing programs is how they route you from point 'A' to point 'B'-- some programs will see road x as being faster, where the other programs will see road y as being faster. the other difference is what is reffered to as points of interest-- like gas stations, restaurants, and convienece stores-- cheaper, or older programs might have less points, or use a older database of points.

    but all the programs rely on the the gps reciever to pick up that signal, so if you have a poor reciever, it will have a harder time getting a lock on the satellites-- which is what you will notice.

    so, for reference, if you were to use a bu353 gps reciever to pick up the satellites, you should not see any difference in the accuracy of a one million dollar routing program, and a 25 dollar routing program.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    so, for reference, if you were to use a bu353 gps reciever to pick up the satellites, you should not see any difference in the accuracy of a one million dollar routing program, and a 25 dollar routing program.
    ALRIGHTY! That's what I was looking for, thank you.

    So I just need to install a "BU353 GPS Receiver" into my ipad (which I don't own yet) and by doing so I am NOT relying on the mobile / cell signal. That was the #1 thing I was worried about.

    Now to find somebody in Charlotte NC who can make the install look factory.

    I lived in Los Angeles for 30 years. There was 20 stereo shops in every zip code, anything you wanted to do was possible from a 5000BTU air conditioner to a frozen yogurt machine. Here in Charlotte? Installing a ipod and getting it to work with your factory Chrysler navi is "a serious custom job."

    Thanks for the info guys, it's really appreciated.

  7. #7
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    Don't buy the BU353 GPS. Buy the iPad 3G. It already HAS a built in GPS receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTonySRT8 View Post
    ALRIGHTY! That's what I was looking for, thank you.

    So I just need to install a "BU353 GPS Receiver" into my ipad (which I don't own yet) and by doing so I am NOT relying on the mobile / cell signal. That was the #1 thing I was worried about.

    Now to find somebody in Charlotte NC who can make the install look factory.

    I lived in Los Angeles for 30 years. There was 20 stereo shops in every zip code, anything you wanted to do was possible from a 5000BTU air conditioner to a frozen yogurt machine. Here in Charlotte? Installing a ipod and getting it to work with your factory Chrysler navi is "a serious custom job."

    Thanks for the info guys, it's really appreciated.
    I think you're still missing it... Google GPS and learn a little how it works. It has absolutely zero to do with your mobile/cell signal. There are satellites orbiting the earth that are linked to a GPS receiver (like the one built in on the iPad 3G) that triangulate your position. Again: nothing to do with cell towers. This is constant over iPad, TomTom, Garmin, the BU353 and any GPS solution.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate Cycfari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N1 22.921 E103 54.207
    Posts
    87
    I'm now holidaying in Australia & stucked with a rental car without GPS

    Luckily my Iphone & BT GPS receiver saved my trip. Don't use the Iphone GPS. Those are craps & updates are slow. I used Tom Tom & roqyBT app to pair the Iphone with the BT GPS receiver.

    Did lots of mountain road & Great Ocean Road drive. The Tom Tom & GPS had been spot on! My BT GPS is the 55 channel solar assisted GTOP G55 model.

    Just go ahead and grab a BT GPS receiver & buy the roqyBT app.

    Honestly, I'm beginning to like Tom Tom & hope they come out with a PC ver. I'm using GMPC on my carpc back home.

    Got to go......Time are running out for my free Wi-fi

    Cheers!
    Intel D945GCLF2, Lilliput 629GL-70NP, GTop MTK GPS, Road Runner, DFX4, Winamp 5.13+Console+VST->HotAudio DAC->NXS 400.4 + NXS400.2 DSP Amplifiers + DSP Software Processing->Dynaudio 340 3 Way Active

Similar Threads

  1. 2000 Mitsubishi Verada Car PC Install
    By MitchellO in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 06:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •