Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: GPS software with directions - Australia

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    16

    GPS software with directions - Australia

    I need some software to use on a carputer. GPS reciever doesn't matter as it can be purchased accordingly to the softwares requirements.

    What I need is something that gives directions and is very easy for someone who doesnt have much experience with it to use (my dad). Voice directions would be good but not necessary.

    I was thinking of copilot 2003, or destinator, but im not sure if there are any other programs that do what I want, that don't need subscriptions and have australian maps.

    cheers

    edit: magellan also have a piece of software called navigator, but its only for NSW and ACT, or VIC & TAS (2 separate packages). Each package is $275AUD

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Vic. Australia
    Posts
    188
    Bump.

    I'm looking for the same thing. For me it doesn't have to be that easy to use as only I will be using it (and I'll figure it out), also looking for one for victoria, Australia. Do want directions though, voice or otherwise.

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne/Cranbourne
    Posts
    132
    Me and Freeman are actually looking into purchasing that Magellan Navigator software once we get our gps receivers.

    I don't think there is much else available in Australia. There may be a few others but they run on Pocket PC as far as I know.

    If you find anything else let us know.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate danon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    370

    Angry

    I was using a highly customisable GPS software called GPSS (regware) where you can place a map while you provide coordinates on every 640x480 res. space. When I moved to Australia I then have to replace map to Aus. map particularly QLD.

    Since I need a digital map I bought a UBD CD Brisbane (Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast) It's the same Street Map that you see on the yellow/white pages. As the cover says it has a longtitude/latitude provided but when I tested it with my GPS receiver I found out that it was offset by more that 10 meters. So standing in front of my house, my GPS software will show me that I'm in the toilet , thanks to UBD...

    If I have to fix all the coordinates I would need to do around 3,000 maps, because of this I abandoned the project until I found a cheaper alternative. $AU30 wasted.

    for a while I'm using a generic Qld. map provided by GPSS.
    [....99.9%]
    [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
    [....99.8%]
    [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
    [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1
    http://www.teletype.com/pages/gps/streetaustralia.html
    http://www.maptrax.com.au/memory-map.htm
    http://www.destinator1.com/products.emb

    Try this sites courtesy of The Deluo Team. I emailed them and these are the maps that they recommend. I am not sure if they are any good.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate fluffy2097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by danon
    ...but when I tested it with my GPS receiver I found out that it was offset by more that 10 meters.
    10 meters is the minimum margin of error for a consumer level GPS. Most of the time your GPS is more then 10 meters off the exact location. Unless you have a special permit (or are a member of the US military), you can't get any closer then that.
    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

    Learn to ask smart questions!
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    My car PC: The Lost Cause!

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate danon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffy2097
    10 meters is the minimum margin of error for a consumer level GPS. Most of the time your GPS is more then 10 meters off the exact location. Unless you have a special permit (or are a member of the US military), you can't get any closer then that.

    I know what your saying, though there are a lot of street by street gps mapping software and it tells you exactly where you are standing. Error in GPS from time to time is acceptable, but not all the time. In my case, all I'm saying is that UBD mapping with their provided long/lat is offset by 10 meters is just constant and the only way I can get it right is that if I adjust the map to the right long/lat according to the gps and then everything works fine, but I can't do that when there are hundred 640x480 maps to fix.
    [....99.9%]
    [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
    [....99.8%]
    [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
    [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate danon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by nova
    I need some software to use on a carputer. GPS reciever doesn't matter as it can be purchased accordingly to the softwares requirements.

    What I need is something that gives directions and is very easy for someone who doesnt have much experience with it to use (my dad). Voice directions would be good but not necessary.

    I was thinking of copilot 2003, or destinator, but im not sure if there are any other programs that do what I want, that don't need subscriptions and have australian maps.

    cheers

    edit: magellan also have a piece of software called navigator, but its only for NSW and ACT, or VIC & TAS (2 separate packages). Each package is $275AUD

    At the moment I think Johnny Appleseed GPS "http://www.ja-gps.com.au/" is the best start for GPS stuff for Aussies although they are more into mobile gadgets, I'm pretty sure they have something of a help since they concentrate more on Australian market.

    .
    [....99.9%]
    [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
    [....99.8%]
    [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
    [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19
    Im going to purchase a USB GPS receiver, and write software to interpret the NMEA sentance information for integration into my own software.

    I also found out that whereis.com.au (or, their parent company rather) sell vector based database of all streets & POI for major cities on CD form. So going to use that for the dataset for the app.

    i go to a point in sydney (example), i get he GPS location, enter it into the calibration settings of my software, go to another point, get GPS loc, enter it, and thats the calibrations done. from there it will track etc.

    thats what i plan.

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate danon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    370

    Long/Lat GPS loc

    Quote Originally Posted by Reactor
    i go to a point in sydney (example), i get he GPS location, enter it into the calibration settings of my software, go to another point, get GPS loc, enter it, and thats the calibrations done. from there it will track etc.

    thats what i plan.
    This is what I have been doing for quite some time now. The thing is, the further you go on both end of your map, the more precise moving map you get. Although I can't afford to drive that far all the way (Sunshine Coast to NSW border, I live in Gold Coast) to lock it's Long/Lat, and I noticed that there are no aussie members living in Gold Coast at the moment (or I may be wrong), What I'm thingking is that all of us Aussies post their Long/Lat location instead, and this will help those who are working on their own GPS software and save time rather than taking a long drive. You may not post your house location if you don't prefer though, but any location that you have been and that you have registered. I will start gathering all the Long/Lat I registered and will post it here as soon as I can.


    danon
    [....99.9%]
    [HW] 566eMHz/128mb/6gb, FlyVideo3k, RandMgps, M1-ATX, 7" Lilliput, VGA2AVadptrFor2ndVideo, 4CH/100rms, 10"Sub, 40AhDeepCycleTank
    [....99.8%]
    [SW] XP/MMC/FP:D3,FlyTV/AxifeFM,CarMM?
    [Working on] puttingBackEvrythg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •