Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Earthmate not compatible with Mappoint

  1. #11
    Low Bitrate spectrumzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec-V
    I dont know what you guys are talking about. I have the new WAAS Enabled USB GPS from Delorme and it has worked with EVERY program I have tried it with. (Streetfinder, Streets and Trips, Even USA PhotoMaps, which is a freeware app that only works with Serial gps)

    If you download the USB to Serial drivers from Delorme's webpage... it should and will most likely work with any GPS app.


    If you have any questions, you can ask me. I have messed with this thing non stop for the last week and a half!
    Sounds like there must be new drivers, because when I owned the DeLorme I spent endless hours on the USB to Serial driver trying to get it to work. And yes, I was able to get the NMEA stream but it would send data that was slightly mis-formatted. Most apps would work, but mappoint and a couple of others would not.

  2. #12
    Maximum Bitrate wi77iam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chester Springs, PA
    Posts
    605
    I installed Mappoint 2004 and connected my usb Earthmate with the usb-to-serial drivers supplied by DeLorme. MP detected the earthmate but then I got the error saying the data was being received but it wasn't NMEA compliant. Then I installed AGPS, the COM add-in for MP. When I set up AGPS to recognize the earthmate, it immediately locked on and everything was working fine. Then I turned off AGPS and tried to track with just MP. It also started tracking with the earthmate.

    I'll keep using AGPS though because it has autorouting and voice prompts.
    *******************************
    *******************************

  3. #13
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    136
    im having the same problems with my new earthmate that i just got.

    what is AGPS? that might help my situation.

    thanx
    james

  4. #14
    Maximum Bitrate wi77iam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chester Springs, PA
    Posts
    605
    AGPS is an add-in to MapPoint. It enables autorouting and voice prompts, plus display of speed/heading. Well worth the $10.
    *******************************
    *******************************

  5. #15
    Variable Bitrate rgardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    374
    Here is my experience with the latest version of the earthmate gps receiver. I got it to work with the Destinator SDK and with Mappoint '02. The hardest part of the process was to get the Com Port configured correctly. Here's the process that you have to go through:
    1. Download and install the third party USB to serial drivers from delorme from here: ftp://www.delorme.com/Downloads/USBEmate.exe Some instructions can be found here: http://www.delorme.com/support/gps/u...=&P=17111&C=28
    2. On both machines (Win XP Home) I installed the drivers on I ended up with a Human Interface device and not an Earthmate USB receiver under the com ports in the system config. Correct this problem following these instructions: http://www.delorme.com/support/gps/u...=&P=17111&C=28

    After this I checked my com ports and I showed the earthmate receiver installed on com 5 on the first machine. I changed the baud rate to 4800. Then I fired up the destinator sdk which didn't list com 5 as an choice in the GPS Status>Settings menu. It only gave me a choice of com 1 or com 3. Kind of reminded me of the old days dealing with modem set up. After much messing around uninstalling and reinstalling com ports here is what worked for me. In the control panel change the earthmate gps to com 1 which already had a serial port installed on it. Change the com 1 serial port to a different port that is not in use-com 5 or whatever. Fire up destinator and configure to com 1, 4800, MNEA and save settings. Reboot the machine and now when you start destinator you should be working. After this I tried Mappoint '02 with the AGPS helper program. I configured the GPS to com 1, 4800, MNEA in the AGPS utility and everything was working great. I hope this might help some one out there who's having some problems getting up and running. I had to do this same process on my carputer as well. I'm using my laptop to troubleshoot and make software selection decisions until I get my carputer installed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •