Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: a new way of GPS

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6

    a new way of GPS

    I looked through the posts in this forum but didn't find anything about a GPS board. So I googled and find some results. I think some of you guys may be interested.

    I am working on my carpc and I want to make the GPS builtin instead of external. I am putting my car-pc in a single DIN, so I hope to put the GPS unit into the DIN too. Hopefully, I found some GPS boards with serial port, so i think i can connect it to my car-pc using a modem wire. And it has an antenna connector, capable of using both passive and active antenna. I am thinking about using the antenna of my car, but I am not sure if that works. I didn't do much research into antenna yet, but maybe that is possible.

    And another great thing is that this board is really cheap, I find one guy on ebay who is selling superstar board at $49.00, but I find it a little doubtful, as the connector type is different from what I find from other places.I am bidding on it right now, and I may post about it when I get it.

    The link is right here:
    NovTel superstar GPS board:
    http://www.novatel.com/Products/superstar.asp

    and there are several other kinds such as: Jupiter GPS OEM, GPS955, G 12 GPS board from Ashtech. etc... You guys can google on these. I haven't looked much into those.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate Naamanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by brownpage
    I looked through the posts in this forum but didn't find anything about a GPS board. So I googled and find some results. I think some of you guys may be interested.

    I am working on my carpc and I want to make the GPS builtin instead of external. I am putting my car-pc in a single DIN, so I hope to put the GPS unit into the DIN too. Hopefully, I found some GPS boards with serial port, so i think i can connect it to my car-pc using a modem wire. And it has an antenna connector, capable of using both passive and active antenna. I am thinking about using the antenna of my car, but I am not sure if that works. I didn't do much research into antenna yet, but maybe that is possible.

    And another great thing is that this board is really cheap, I find one guy on ebay who is selling superstar board at $49.00, but I find it a little doubtful, as the connector type is different from what I find from other places.I am bidding on it right now, and I may post about it when I get it.

    The link is right here:
    NovTel superstar GPS board:
    http://www.novatel.com/Products/superstar.asp

    and there are several other kinds such as: Jupiter GPS OEM, GPS955, G 12 GPS board from Ashtech. etc... You guys can google on these. I haven't looked much into those.
    You would be much better just getting a all in one USB unit. You can't use your car antenna for the GPS, and most all-in-one units are the size of an antenna any way. So they are actually smaller than a board+antenna. And they are the same price if not cheaper when you get the price of the board combined with the antenna.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

    My Install

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamanf
    You would be much better just getting a all in one USB unit. You can't use your car antenna for the GPS, and most all-in-one units are the size of an antenna any way. So they are actually smaller than a board+antenna. And they are the same price if not cheaper when you get the price of the board combined with the antenna.
    So, what's the difference between a car antenna and a GPS antenna? I am no electric technician so sorry for the ignorance. I thought that they both receive signals, only frequency differs. And GPS frequecny is 1575.42 MHz, while FM radio has a frequency of ~ several hundred MHz. So GPS frequecny is not too much different from a radio frequency. So maybe their antenna design is simiar?

    But, maybe GPS antenna is not only an antenna, but also includes filter or something else. In that case, it can't be replaced by normal car antenna.

    Thanks for advices.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate Naamanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by brownpage
    So, what's the difference between a car antenna and a GPS antenna? I am no electric technician so sorry for the ignorance. I thought that they both receive signals, only frequency differs. And GPS frequecny is 1575.42 MHz, while FM radio has a frequency of ~ several hundred MHz. So GPS frequecny is not too much different from a radio frequency. So maybe their antenna design is simiar?

    But, maybe GPS antenna is not only an antenna, but also includes filter or something else. In that case, it can't be replaced by normal car antenna.

    Thanks for advices.
    FM radio is in the 90-110 mhz range. The size of the radio waves is very different. And in simple terms the size of the wave (due to it's frequency) will determine the size of the antenna. The lower the frequency the larger the antenna.
    2007 Tahoe
    Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

    My Install

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Naamanf
    FM radio is in the 90-110 mhz range. The size of the radio waves is very different. And in simple terms the size of the wave (due to it's frequency) will determine the size of the antenna. The lower the frequency the larger the antenna.
    Thanks a lot for the explanation. Yes, FM radio is 90-110mhz range. And that means FM wave has a wavelength of about 3 meters. And for normal AM radio, the range is 535khz-1.7Mhz, that means AM wave has a wavelength of about 300 meters. So we need to pull out car antenna to get better reception of AM signal, which is often not so good.
    Then, for GPS, which has a frequency of 1575.42Mhz, that means a wavelength of about 0.2 meters. This is not a so small length compared with the size of car antenna. As we can pull out the antenna to get better reception of AM radio, we may also retract the antenna to get better GPS signal. And, actually I often let my antenna stay very short and the Fm reception is still fine.

    no intention to bother. THanks a lot for reply. That makes me more practical on the antenna issue.

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate felix99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    370
    Yu will not receive anything with a gps connected to your radio atenna - its more different than you think - You absolutely need a GPS antenna for a gps card - So if you don't want do be dissapointed get you a normal standart USB GPS . Its very small - or get you if youa bsolutely want your module a combo antenna for FM/AM / GPS - these have 2 antennas integrated one for radio one for GPS.

    Shortwave is diffenret from microwave ! Shortwave signals are stronger than GPS signals which explains that you can receive them +/- properly -

    Get a usb gps

    regards

    felix
    =>> Carpc Version2 -- Epia M 10K based<<=
    ::Epia M10k,7"VGA/40GB2.5",GPS,Opus90W ::
    ::trying to build second low cost carpc::
    ::Automp3.de :: CAR= Renault Clio2 - 2 seats 1.9D

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by felix99
    Yu will not receive anything with a gps connected to your radio atenna - its more different than you think - You absolutely need a GPS antenna for a gps card - So if you don't want do be dissapointed get you a normal standart USB GPS . Its very small - or get you if youa bsolutely want your module a combo antenna for FM/AM / GPS - these have 2 antennas integrated one for radio one for GPS.

    Shortwave is diffenret from microwave ! Shortwave signals are stronger than GPS signals which explains that you can receive them +/- properly -

    Get a usb gps

    regards

    felix
    I see. Thanks a lot, man.
    I will get a usb GPS then.

  8. #8
    FLAC DodgeCummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    DFW area
    Posts
    1,386
    The other factor for the antenna is polarization.

    A surface radio antenna has vertical polarization (the transmitting antenna is straight up and down...so the waves go up and down).

    Most satellite based transmissions use circular polarization.

    Your car antenna uses Vertical Polarization.

    So yes, you can shorten your AM antenna to match the wavelength, or 1/2 or 1/4 wavelength of the GPS signal; but your polarization is wrong.

    If you took a circuit board and etched out a circular antenna that had the correct wavelength, that would probably work.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Hayling Island, UK
    Posts
    100
    What if your car had a gps antenna fitted, but no gps unit? Could you use the antenna from that?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM
  2. Cant get good GPS signal in car.
    By Ricky327 in forum GPS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 09:28 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 09:20 AM
  4. Music and GPS
    By Mikesz in forum GPS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. GPS Recommendations..
    By Karnth in forum GPS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2002, 09:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •