Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: GPS for Linux

  1. #1
    mst
    mst is offline
    Constant Bitrate mst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    139

    GPS for Linux

    If somebody is looking for GPS software with voice,"unsavory" has found one at:http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/index.shtml

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162

    Linux GPS

    Quote Originally Posted by mst
    If somebody is looking for GPS software with voice,"unsavory" has found one at:http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/index.shtml
    Unfortunatly all linux GPS solutions I have found out there (including GPS Drive) all use images of maps from a variety of online sources. These cannot do guiildance or route planning.

    Vector based maps are required to do navigation and route planning. This is what almost all windows GPS navigation applications use. I don't know why no one has stepped up, designed and wrote a linux GPS application that can use commercial available vector based maps such as the Nav-Tech brand or similar. Then all one would have to do is purchase the correct GPS map database CD or DVD to use with it.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    165

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by mst
    If somebody is looking for GPS software with voice,"unsavory" has found one at:http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/index.shtml
    Aye. The only problem with it despite it's very nice looking UI and aesthetically pleasing maps is the fact that it doesn't route. At all. As in you have to plan the trip yourself using waypoints.

    Apparently there is no open-source mapping data available so the Linux guys have not been able to jump on the bandwagen there. However, I hear they just came out with a European model that looks really really nice. But it will be a year at least before we see it here me thinks.

    Originally I was going to use Microsoft XBox running Linux as my PC until I discovered there is no viable Linux Nav solution.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by unsavory
    Aye. The only problem with it despite it's very nice looking UI and aesthetically pleasing maps is the fact that it doesn't route. At all. As in you have to plan the trip yourself using waypoints.

    Apparently there is no open-source mapping data available so the Linux guys have not been able to jump on the bandwagen there. However, I hear they just came out with a European model that looks really really nice. But it will be a year at least before we see it here me thinks.

    Originally I was going to use Microsoft XBox running Linux as my PC until I discovered there is no viable Linux Nav solution.
    Maybe this is the problem... there will never be free up to data and accurate vector mapping data because this data takes alot of manpower and cost to keep up.

    Why can't we build an open source application that can read, display and use a commercial map set from one of the many vendors out there. We have the open source app, and pay for up to date map databases.

    Most people out there are willing to pay for an accurate map database.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate fluffy2097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    594
    The simple answer is that hardcore linux programmers with the skills to create such an application do not own cars, as they never leave their parents basement.

    All kidding aside though. The maps that route guidence systems use cost money. A LOT of money. Thats why you don't see someone program it themselves.
    A digital mind lost in an analog world.

    Learn to ask smart questions!
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    My car PC: The Lost Cause!

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffy2097
    The simple answer is that hardcore linux programmers with the skills to create such an application do not own cars, as they never leave their parents basement.

    All kidding aside though. The maps that route guidence systems use cost money. A LOT of money. Thats why you don't see someone program it themselves.

    Either way, you need to pay... have you purchased a copy of mappoint ever? That is pretty costly, but it seems alot of people on this board have it. Luckly I got it through my MSDN subsciption (which isn't cheap by any means either). I would say $100 - $300 is a fair price to pay for up to date, accurate gps mapping data. Look how much OEM navigation software updates for systems build into cars cost... usually double that!

    All I was stating, is that an open source application that uses these commercial databases would be great.

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    165
    The problem is that the commercial data is what is not free. It costs. The developers could not legally just use the data without a copyright infringement.

    However like I said earlier, they have a European based Linux nav software that was just released. And it looks very nice.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by unsavory
    The problem is that the commercial data is what is not free. It costs. The developers could not legally just use the data without a copyright infringement.

    However like I said earlier, they have a European based Linux nav software that was just released. And it looks very nice.

    That is my point, what is wrong with paying for it? I know I am willing to pay for the data. To use the application when written, all one would have to do is download the application, then purchase and use the commercial map database from a vendor.

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsp6
    That is my point, what is wrong with paying for it? I know I am willing to pay for the data. To use the application when written, all one would have to do is download the application, then purchase and use the commercial map database from a vendor.
    Gotcha. I see your point. I don't know the first thing about programming routing algorithms but it sounds like an opportunity for someone to grab by the nuts and roll with. Like I said before, the lack of a GPS solution was the only reason I'm not going with Linux.

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by unsavory
    Gotcha. I see your point. I don't know the first thing about programming routing algorithms but it sounds like an opportunity for someone to grab by the nuts and roll with. Like I said before, the lack of a GPS solution was the only reason I'm not going with Linux.
    Same here, I would love to speak to Nav-Tech (or one of the other map providers) and see if I could get a SDK from them to work on developing this, but unfortunatly I have no GUI programming application in Linux... and only VB in windows. However I to know to program command line programs in C++ (windows/linux).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. a new way of GPS
    By brownpage in forum GPS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 03:51 PM
  2. Cant get good GPS signal in car.
    By Ricky327 in forum GPS
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 10:28 PM
  3. GPS software
    By waylonh in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 07:48 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:20 AM
  5. Music and GPS
    By Mikesz in forum GPS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 03:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •