Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: price of UK gps software....

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    72

    price of UK gps software....

    never ever dabbles in this before, had a look around on here but a lot of u guys are USA based

    im after a UK version of somesort of GPS software, UK only, nothing else needed

    what price are we talking? just to point me in the right direction! also will they all work with any mouse? and do they run off CD or install EVERYTHING to your HDD? also upgrades are a concern

    cheers
    2006 BMW e46 320CD M Sport Convertible

    martynhunter@hotmail.com

  2. #2
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Whats the best GPS software for the UK?

    Between 50-200 about 200 for decent software
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    72
    cheers mate

    ive just bought autoroute for my dad and noticed it does real time gps

    played with it in car for an hour or so, any interesting features?? can i use it to come up with instructions etc whilst driving? voice would be cool

    cheers
    2006 BMW e46 320CD M Sport Convertible

    martynhunter@hotmail.com

  4. #4
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by m2rv h
    cheers mate

    ive just bought autoroute for my dad and noticed it does real time gps

    played with it in car for an hour or so, any interesting features?? can i use it to come up with instructions etc whilst driving? voice would be cool

    cheers
    I'm not a fan of AutoRoute myself, however it's bigger brother MapPoint has a programmable interface (search the threads for VOICES - it's a program written over MapPoint which is voice-controlled) and is very good. If you are actually going to use the software in the car, AutoRoute won't cut it.

    What do you reckon the maximum you would spend on navigation software is?
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    72
    eeeeerm to be honest im very good with directions and such and its just for show lmao!! about 100 quid tops say?
    2006 BMW e46 320CD M Sport Convertible

    martynhunter@hotmail.com

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    197
    The best value for money solution in the UK is Infomap Navigator. S/W only is 35. You get voice directions, map rotates in direction of travel, auto recalc if you go off-route, full 7 digit postcode searches.
    Have a look on Action Replay for more info.

    Doug

  8. #8
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Falken
    The best value for money solution in the UK is Infomap Navigator. S/W only is 35. You get voice directions, map rotates in direction of travel, auto recalc if you go off-route, full 7 digit postcode searches.
    Have a look on Action Replay for more info.

    Doug
    Yeah but it isn't very good for use in a Car PC (at least most people in these forums seem to think that). You need the 99 version and time on your hands to write your own front-end
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  9. #9
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by m2rv h
    eeeeerm to be honest im very good with directions and such and its just for show lmao!! about 100 quid tops say?
    If it's just for show have a look at GPSS.co.uk - that doesn't give directions but shows where you are on the Map. It is free and doesn't come with Maps - but there is a map exporter program for pulling maps from Autoroute. If you're just showing it off in a specific area it's not too much hassle to use Paint Shop Pro/Photoshop to combine the Autoroute map and an aerial photo from MultiMap.co.uk for an aerial map. I've done it and it does look smart, through useless for directions.
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieg
    Yeah but it isn't very good for use in a Car PC (at least most people in these forums seem to think that). You need the 99 version and time on your hands to write your own front-end
    I totally agree with you Stevieg, it isn't the best BUT it is tremendous value for money and usable. The new version due out very soon will address most of the criticisms. Just about the only thing left off the wish list is a 3d display.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Great European GPS software 4 touchscreen
    By schakenda in forum GPS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 03:46 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 03:26 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 09:19 PM
  4. GPS Software & Receiver
    By bjm2020 in forum GPS
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 03:30 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-22-2002, 09:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •