Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: GPS Tracker - Stop your car being stolen

  1. #11
    FLAC NiN^_^NiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Australia, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by vxcarpc
    sounds pretty hardcore.. good luck.. hehe.. it's like trying to incorporate 3 devices into 1 system.

    imobolizer, pc, mobile phone..

    you'll be keeping your telco happy though with all the sms's you'll be making.. haha

    maybe you can send a sms to your car and it can sms you back telling you which street it's located in rather than gps co-ordinates from reading the gps software.. that'd be pretty awesome. if you work it out post some pics of your setup so i can have a look. cheers
    Actually you can have it so it will only sms you if the car alarm goes off or it wont sms u at all unless you sms it to see what is on and off so it's not much money

    Street name might be better if no access to gps program hmm...
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

  2. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by NiN^_^NiN
    Actually you can have it so it will only sms you if the car alarm goes off or it wont sms u at all unless you sms it to see what is on and off so it's not much money

    Street name might be better if no access to gps program hmm...
    Its better if it rings you. SMS is not really that reliable.

    Texting streetnames with the PC being switch off? Still possible. The whole stripped down map is stored on a SD card. The tracker then read the memory to see which street the car is currently on.

    The problem is trying to find a way to decode the map supplied by tomtom, destinator, etc. Some serious coding skill is needed for all this.

  3. #13
    FLAC NiN^_^NiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Australia, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris31
    Its better if it rings you. SMS is not really that reliable.

    Texting streetnames with the PC being switch off? Still possible. The whole stripped down map is stored on a SD card. The tracker then read the memory to see which street the car is currently on.

    The problem is trying to find a way to decode the map supplied by tomtom, destinator, etc. Some serious coding skill is needed for all this.
    Well thats why id like it to be hardware based where it only needs a usb/serial gps plugged into it no PC is needed and you sms it to grab the gps position.

    The pc can use the GPS with a passthrough cable but otherwise the whole system would be isolated
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

  4. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    The idea is to also pass through the mobile phone serial connection. It can be used as part of the tracker or used to connect to the internet when the PC is running.

  5. #15
    FLAC NiN^_^NiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Australia, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris31
    The idea is to also pass through the mobile phone serial connection. It can be used as part of the tracker or used to connect to the internet when the PC is running.
    Well not this as the module i got requires old nokia's like a 3210 or the every popular 5110 :P

    I don't think wireless internet from the phone to upload logs is really needed.

    Right now the system i am building will allow me to shut the engine off and monitor other parts of the alarm.

    The pc will be used for street names and suburbs but otherwise thats if for what i'm using it for.

    It be nice to have GPS strings supported at the hardware level but it's past my knowledge.

    For me it's all i need and for everyone else it should be fine altho improving it is always welcomed
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

  6. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    Can you set those phone to autoanswer?

    So then maybe you can listen to whats going on in the car when you are not around

  7. #17
    Zac
    Zac is offline
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    192
    If you clone ur sim card and try to use it at the same time ull just get urself locked outta the system for having a cloned sim....you will end up needing another plan probally. I dunno but check out the prepaid ones (might be able to find a nice cheap min monthly one...but then you'd hafta pay premium for each txt prolly)

  8. #18
    FLAC NiN^_^NiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Australia, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris31
    Can you set those phone to autoanswer?

    So then maybe you can listen to whats going on in the car when you are not around
    I think you can get it to call you so you just answer it yourself

    Better hope no1's testing the back seat when u listen lmao

    Quote Originally Posted by ksmyarse
    If you clone ur sim card and try to use it at the same time ull just get urself locked outta the system for having a cloned sim....you will end up needing another plan probally. I dunno but check out the prepaid ones (might be able to find a nice cheap min monthly one...but then you'd hafta pay premium for each txt prolly)
    I read a bit of the instructions and it says use a prepaid just cause if something goes wrong u won't have a huge phonebill and if u clone your simcard it will get a echo and will keep sending itself the same msg so it will run up the cost.

    I'm at work right now so i havent checked the manual for it fully out
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

  9. #19
    Maximum Bitrate KyleYankan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    491
    What if you had the car w/ a webcam in the dash. Take a pic of the theif, and make a log of the GPS points he's been at. Like a back-track feature. It just keeps updating this, and zipping it. As soon as it passes an open wifi netowrk, it dumps it onto a website.

    Problem is passing an open wifi network, and having enough time to connect. No problem in philly, soon enough. There making the whole thing a giant hotspot.

    If youre willling to invest ina new phone plan - look into the sprint hack and do this

  10. #20
    Super Moderator xBrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,687
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleYankan
    What if you had the car w/ a webcam in the dash. Take a pic of the theif, and make a log of the GPS points he's been at. Like a back-track feature. It just keeps updating this, and zipping it. As soon as it passes an open wifi netowrk, it dumps it onto a website.

    Problem is passing an open wifi network, and having enough time to connect. No problem in philly, soon enough. There making the whole thing a giant hotspot.

    If youre willling to invest ina new phone plan - look into the sprint hack and do this
    You mean this?
    [BETA] GPSSecure

    Webcam support coming soon.
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.


    -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. power problems while car is running..
    By TimW in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 10:11 PM
  2. few gps questions
    By fuctup in forum GPS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:40 AM
  3. Car PC EZ 2.4 SDC/Inverter Controller - NOW Avail!
    By hd54321 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 01:42 PM
  4. Problem with GPS probably voltage
    By GReeToZ in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 02:26 PM
  5. GPS in my car - Newbie
    By hasato in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2002, 09:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •