Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: gps mouse

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    31

    gps mouse

    I am a total newbie, and was interested in getting a navigation system in my car.


    I got a pc running xp and a 7in lilliput screen

    Some dumb questions:
    1) Is it correct that all I need is software and a gps mouse reciever

    2) does the gps mouse work better if it's out side of the car, meaning that there is interferance if I leave it in the trunk?

    3) Say i get the software and gps mouse, do all gps mouse work via battery? or can they get power via usb?

    4) what's a good inexpensive USB gps mouse that is waterproof?

    Thanks for answering a newbie question...

  2. #2
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Newbie questions should be posted in the newbie section. Especially when they've been responded to once already.

    Questions 1, 2, and 4 are asked at least once a week and lately have been asked several times a week. Either check all the posts in the Newbie section or do a search on "Best GPS software" or similar terms.

    Question 3: No. Not all GPS units work on battery. In fact, it is mostly the Bluetooth units that use batteries. While some units have batteries sealed inside them (presumably to remember the position of the last location to aid getting a quicker lock), most get their power either from the serial port or USB, depending on the type.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte
    Newbie questions should be posted in the newbie section. Especially when they've been responded to once already.

    Questions 1, 2, and 4 are asked at least once a week and lately have been asked several times a week. Either check all the posts in the Newbie section or do a search on "Best GPS software" or similar terms.

    Question 3: No. Not all GPS units work on battery. In fact, it is mostly the Bluetooth units that use batteries. While some units have batteries sealed inside them (presumably to remember the position of the last location to aid getting a quicker lock), most get their power either from the serial port or USB, depending on the type.
    Maybe it would be helpful if some form of sticky is created which seems to be missing on a number of these forum sections. I know I search for many things, but unless I get the right match of keywords or spend hours and hours trolling through a number of threads, it can be intimidating.

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Fair enough. I spend a lot of time doing the same. However, this set of questions is different. He's double-posted asking a very straightforward and simple question which can easily be answered in a Google search. I just entered "GPS Primer" and got a page full of very relevant results.

    You don't even have to search to get the answer to his question. Page 2 of the thread listings in the GPS forum has a thread entitled: "GPS Software:
    i know people have asked what software is the best, but can you post the pros / cons of the popular gps software.
    Neon_Eddy gave a nice summary of some of the popular software.

    On page 4, Cheekz asks
    I was just wondering what you guys think is a good GPS Software to use.
    and gets a few answers.

    Now, to your point, yes, there should be a sticky on this to help newbies (and veteran members) figure out GPS. I know when I was trying to figure out XM radio for my PC, a post called "Everything you need to know to put XM in your car" set me straight. Until then, I had done a lot of searching and was confused.

    Maybe I'll get motivated and make one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    31

    uhh no

    I'm not trying to steal any programs, I was asking the 3CD question because I wanted all the maps loaded on my HD. So that I dont have to swap out as I am driving between regions.

    In addition, I know that there are some DVD versions of software out there that is 1 disc thus no loading of DVD/CD...

    Any help would be appreciated

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    31
    Does the Rikaline 6010 come with a USB connection?

  7. #7
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Okay, maybe I was too hasty when I saw you were asking about the serial numbers. Apologies for the remark. I'll edit the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  8. #8
    Para Laura thanatos106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Miami Beach,FL U.S.A
    Posts
    3,497
    BUT STILLL.....

    He is asking question that are on the gps forum......just let him learn the hard way that there is a serch button.

  9. #9
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    I've written a "" thread in the GPS section. It should help you out some.GPS for Newbies
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Similar Threads

  1. garmin mapsource and usb gps mouse
    By thecrow in forum GPS
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 03:24 PM
  2. Getting Started with GPS
    By grepzen in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 06:54 AM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 02:27 PM
  4. GPS mouse and mini USB keyboard FS *pics*
    By MAXXMODDER in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
  5. Wtb: Gps Software And Gps Mouse!!!!
    By HitmanZ in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 10:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •