Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: BU-353 Time to first FIX

  1. #1
    FLAC Nomader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,294

    BU-353 Time to first FIX

    OK I have been using the BU-353 for a few months no.. it works good the prolific drivers give no trouble at all..it is OK..

    now the only problem I have is that it takes some time for it to get tha sats data for tha first time.. as soon as I move the unit outside.(I have it placed near the rear windsheild) it gets the signal in a few seconds, when the unit is inside it might take as long as 5 minutes.. but as soon as it has 5-6 sats then it works ok even if i put it back inside .. has anyone tried to make an antenna for it.. or better try to keep it powered up so it would never loose the sat data??!!

    i don't know if it will work but, using batteries (lithium rechargable) along with a diode, would keep it powered for 2-3 days when not starting the car (the unit as far as I know, has built in capacitors so it would keep the data needed, but I don't know how long before they loose their voltage.

    any ideas? i don't want to move the unit outside..(stolen, attracts attention, not really watrer proof..etc.)

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate JimmyFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomader View Post
    OK I have been using the BU-353 for a few months no.. it works good the prolific drivers give no trouble at all..it is OK..

    now the only problem I have is that it takes some time for it to get tha sats data for tha first time.. as soon as I move the unit outside.(I have it placed near the rear windsheild) it gets the signal in a few seconds, when the unit is inside it might take as long as 5 minutes.. but as soon as it has 5-6 sats then it works ok even if i put it back inside .. has anyone tried to make an antenna for it.. or better try to keep it powered up so it would never loose the sat data??!!

    i don't know if it will work but, using batteries (lithium rechargable) along with a diode, would keep it powered for 2-3 days when not starting the car (the unit as far as I know, has built in capacitors so it would keep the data needed, but I don't know how long before they loose their voltage.

    any ideas? i don't want to move the unit outside..(stolen, attracts attention, not really watrer proof..etc.)
    Mine stays powered up because it is on S3 (suspend to RAM) and the USB 5V remains on when parked. If I park outside, iGuidance usually comes up still running on power up with position fixed. When I park inside my garage, the fix takes 2-3 minutes to acquire after leaving.
    ~Jimmy

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate ajscomp372's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    102
    You could probably figure out how much power it takes, and if it wouldn't drain the battery, a 5V power source is easy to build. You could power it directly from the battery.

  4. #4
    FLAC Nomader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,294
    i think it would drain my battery in 10 days or something.. i travel a lot.. and leave the car..

    I just want a confirmation that powering it up all the time would solve my problem

  5. #5
    FLAC Nomader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,294
    Mine stays powered up because it is on S3 (suspend to RAM) and the USB 5V remains on when parked. If I park outside, iGuidance usually comes up still running on power up with position fixed. When I park inside my garage, the fix takes 2-3 minutes to acquire after leaving.
    how long was your MAX leaving your pc on s3 before buying a new battery ??

  6. #6
    FLAC Marvin Hlavac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    .... . .-. .
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomader View Post
    I just want a confirmation that powering it up all the time would solve my problem
    It would, if the GPS unit is able to keep fix inside your garage. But if it cannot track satellites, keeping it powered would not help you. It could actually make it worse. After prolonged searching, and not finding any satellites for a long time, it could actually never get a fix till you reset it (power it down and then power it up, or cold start).

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate JimmyFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomader View Post
    how long was your MAX leaving your pc on s3 before buying a new battery ??
    My PC has an M1-ATX shutdown controller. If the battery gets too low it will kill all power to the PC. It has been working that way for nine months now no problems. Still using the car's factory original battery which is over four years old.
    ~Jimmy

  8. #8
    FLAC evandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    937
    I'm not sure where I saw it, but someone made a simple board with a relay, that would apply power to the GPS unit for a few seconds every so often (maybe every 10 mins or half hour?), just enough to keep the internal cap charged. If you're into electronics, it would be a simple project with a 555 timer or small microcontroller.
    But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscouse
    I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
    eegeek.net

  9. #9
    FLAC Nomader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,294
    i see. thanks for your answers guys.. anyuone attemmpted to open the unit upp and connect an antenna?

Similar Threads

  1. Bu 353
    By sebberry in forum GPS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 10:35 PM
  2. WTB: BU 353 GPS receiver
    By penny1jordan23 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
  3. Can't get the BU 353 to work with Destinator plugin
    By inniss777 in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 03:56 PM
  4. Optimize Load time of CF?
    By HostileJava in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 08:40 AM
  5. using both lorty's and winlcd plugins at same time
    By moahdib in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2001, 02:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •