Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Need help identifying two GPS antenna connectors please

  1. #1
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197

    Need help identifying two GPS antenna connectors please

    Can you guys and gals tell me what types of connectors these two are?





    The first is on one of the Sparkfun eval boards, but their site doesn't specify what the connector-type is (they probably expect that dumb*ss*s like me aren't buying them The second is my OEM GPS antenna... it's smaller than the first one, and it's not threaded, it's a "press-on" type. I realize the colored plastic connector around it isn't actually standard for the connector but rather added for ease of plugnplay. It's also right-angled, but I don't know if that makes a difference. So anyway I need to see what adapter I need to connect these two together. Looks like they're both female too. Thanks for your help on this!

  2. #2
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
    Can you guys and gals tell me what types of connectors these two are?





    The first is on one of the Sparkfun eval boards, but their site doesn't specify what the connector-type is (they probably expect that dumb*ss*s like me aren't buying them The second is my OEM GPS antenna... it's smaller than the first one, and it's not threaded, it's a "press-on" type. I realize the colored plastic connector around it isn't actually standard for the connector but rather added for ease of plugnplay. It's also right-angled, but I don't know if that makes a difference. So anyway I need to see what adapter I need to connect these two together. Looks like they're both female too. Thanks for your help on this!

    First one looks like a TNC, could be an RP-TNC. They are common antenna connectors on wifi access points. They have relatively low loss at microwave frequencies. THe second one I don't think I have seen before. Is that the antenna side of the GPS? THey could be using a proprietary connector for thier purpose. It also has the look of a TNC.

    I would cut off the connector from the GPS wire (called coax) and solder on the proper connector for your eval board.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  3. #3
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    Wow, that was a quick reply! Thanks!

  4. #4
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    I can check with Sparkfun if worse comes to worst on the first one. It's the second one I'll really need help with...

  5. #5
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
    I can check with Sparkfun if worse comes to worst on the first one. It's the second one I'll really need help with...
    Adaptors are NOT a good idea. You need to attach, using solder, the proper connector for the cable to connect to your eval board.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  6. #6
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    Are you sure? I read somewhere on here a few days ago (I did alot of browsing that day so I haven't a clue what the post was) that several people had plenty of success with adapters. Maybe not?

  7. #7
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
    Are you sure? I read somewhere on here a few days ago (I did alot of browsing that day so I haven't a clue what the post was) that several people had plenty of success with adapters. Maybe not?
    I am sure. I am not saying that if you do use an adaptor, you WILL have issues. But, you are more prone to issues.



    The more connector and adaptors, the more signal strength loss you will have in the system. Think of the GPS as an ear. If someone yells at you, right next to you, no matter how much is lost in the signal strength, you will still hear the shouting. But, if someone is wispering, and you can barely hear it, and someone slips a cloth in front of the wisperers mouth, you may not be able to hear what you were just able to hear before.

    Also, if you change the connector, you don't have to try and figure out what the wierd connector is, and try and find an adaptor for some wierd connector.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate P3D4T0R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    403
    The second one looks a lot like the antenna side of my old xm head unit and xm direct... just my $0.02
    "Mess with the best, die like the rest."
    Work Log --> Old Car (Totaled)
    Work Log v2 --> New Car (Totaled)
    Work Log v3 --> GMC Suburban K2500 (Engine died)
    Work Log v4.5 --> 05 Toyota Tundra DC SR5

  9. #9
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    I hear ya, Wired. Glad you raised the point so I'll know what the story probably is if I do have issues.

    P3, now that you mention it, it does seem very similar to the XM antenna connector in my car too! Now I just need to find out what THAT is!

  10. #10
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    Ok, I went and compared the connector from pic #2 to the connector on the antenna that came with my XM PCR... they are identical. Soooo, what connector type is the XM antenna?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Garmin GPS 15L with Holux Antenna
    By wi77iam in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
  2. OEM GPS mod. Writeup + Pics
    By IntellaWorks in forum Hardware Development
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 03:59 AM
  3. holux 210 gps antenna problem Help please
    By professorjason in forum GPS
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2005, 01:38 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 04:48 PM
  5. Gps Module + External Antenna + Waas + Usb
    By e_z_street in forum GPS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 04:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •