proposed single wire and connector standard for CarPC
Hey all, I keep upgrading wiring for my car pc and it sems that thare are some problms w. regular comp conectors ex: USB and especially USB mini on a road as if you drive like crazy they get loose :) Also not all cakves are shileded so you may see some interferance. (sure you can get milco screwon usb and good shielded cables for everything. U probably will spend 200-300 on them alone + no gurantee you get good ones from the first try.
So im thinking to start pushing soething like unified pre made cables that are spesifically designed for car pc needs + modular + easy to disconnect + 1 cable for all.
Ex: you have PC in the trunk, most likely you will neeed those wires up front:
1. +12V (for monitor and etc, strabilized power, not from main bus)
2. +5V (for your USB hubs)
3. -Rail (Just in case you dont have access to it up front + to eliminate noise)
4. USB Cable for touch screen (4 separate wires inside)
5. USB Cable for perefireals (since it is not recomended to use same cable w. touchscreen)
6. Reset Swiitch for your PC
7. Start Switch for PC (non nessesary but if u got regular PSU u will need it)
8. VGA Cable (6 - 9 wires inside depands wethere VGA or XVGA)
9. DVI (Just in case you have good monitor, I dont know wire count for this)
10. Microphone Extra shielded
11. Audio Wires (this is questionable if it is smatt to wire them up front + other things, dont compfront me on audio, we just drop few fhileded wires there just in case to deliver 2 stereo channels, thats 6 wires)
12.Remote or Ignition (to start you smart PSU, if you remote wires are in front of the car)
So at this point I came up with 12 categories of wires that can be used for CarPC needs to conect your back to front of the car. You can run then induvidually but I think It is much better to have well made special cable that will include all of them, gonna be a thick one but guranteed to work. Will have military circular screw on connector that will not fall off if you drive roughly, + proper shileding everyehere, 1 shiled for category + 1 shiled for whole cable.
Then you can use pigtail cables on you PC box to wire out all your single milco connector. Use soft epoxy to secure conectors on PC. Thne use premade cable and drop it to the front of the car, there connect it to premade cable header to output and convert your connectors for useful way.
So if you doing you own car you can ensuire you get cabling right from the first time and dont waste too much money on exprermenting. If you are an installer you will speed up your install time and will have easy way to troubleshout the onnection.
What do you guys think? Should I push this project? Any commnts? :bathbaby: