Thread: FM/DAB digital radio - THAT WORKS!!

  1. #1611
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Interesting find askchan,

    Can you confirm it is a Venice7. From the picture I can see it is not a Verona, but I don't have V7 to hand to compare.
    I was planning on attaching some wires directly on the Verona module, but maybe there similar mod for the Verona.

    What firmware version does the AE5230 report?

  2. #1612
    ibf
    ibf is offline
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by askchan View Post
    By shorting pads inside the venice7 module, I2S signals can be connected back to the following pins:
    pin 24: AUD_MCLK 256xFs 12.288Mhz (pin 4 MCLK)
    pin 25: AUD_SFR Fs 48Khz (pin 3 LRCK)
    pin 26: AUD_SCLK 64xFs 3.072Mhz (pin 2 SCLK)
    pin 27: AUD_SDOUTO (pin 1 SDIN)
    CS4344 is a 10-pin 24-Bit 192kHz stereo D/A converter.



    Attachment 65254
    Im glad more are sharing their finding... thanks for the pics askchan.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post
    Interesting find askchan,

    Can you confirm it is a Venice7. From the picture I can see it is not a Verona, but I don't have V7 to hand to compare.
    I was planning on attaching some wires directly on the Verona module, but maybe there similar mod for the Verona.

    What firmware version does the AE5230 report?
    The Venice 7 dont have the I2S enabled by default. From what I understand clients need to request this from FS. Majority of DAB radio out there are so basic and therefore does not need the I2S out and 99% of the time the res/caps/shorts are not installed. I think this is also true for the L Band, there are some components missing on the RF section of the module.

    Yes that is a pic of a V7 and by the look of the menu of AE5230 it is most likely a master FW.

    The Venice 5 are all I2S enabled, atleast the one I have seen. Verona doesnt have this option at all, so you will need to solder wires directly to the DAC. Im pretty sure I have posted this a few times before or atleast have told many via PMs.

    In most cases you dont need the master clock, 3 wires is enough. Shorting those 4 pairs can be very difficult. On mine I use a 4 resistor network, not perfectly inline with the pitch but it was so much easier than trying to short those pad pairs with a blob of solder or something.

    Infact soldering the I2S wires might be easier on the Verona. The flash is also accessible via the 0.1in pitch pins, unlike the V5/V7 where many had problems soldering on the 1mm pitch pads, reason why I think Verona is the better flatform for most DIY builder.

    Was a long post... I was just answering in general so that others might find it useful.
    Last edited by ibf; 02-28-2012 at 03:05 PM.

  3. #1613
    ibf
    ibf is offline
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    245
    Anyone want to play with I2S, the TAS1020B from TI work pretty well. Make sure it is set to 100% slave. The source is at TI website. Get a Keil C51 compiler and start coding to suit the V5/V7/Verona I2S output.

    Not the best solution but it work.

  4. #1614
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post
    Interesting find askchan,

    Can you confirm it is a Venice7. From the picture I can see it is not a Verona, but I don't have V7 to hand to compare.
    I was planning on attaching some wires directly on the Verona module, but maybe there similar mod for the Verona.

    What firmware version does the AE5230 report?
    Name:  test.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  101.3 KB

    Firmware version: dab-mmi-FS2027-0000.0023_V4.0.11.26105-1A9

  5. #1615
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22
    Glad to see you guys are still working (and progressing with this), I put down my venice5 and car pc a couple of years ago now.

    I am preparing to build a new setup based around a Rapberry Pi, all self contained in a double din unit.

    Getting my venice5 back up and running is the main reason to build this new PC, I'm hoping one of you kind soul's can answer a couple of questions I have on the current state of things (I will be reading through this thread, but that will take some time).

    Did anybody figure out how to send the audio over usb, or are you still using the original audio output pins on the module? (I'm not afraid of micro soldering)

    Has software development moved on at all? I have the original test app from 2010 by Andy Whittaker here and the DLL to go with it.

    I'm looking to get this running under Linux, is anybody else working toward this, or has anybody already achieved this?

  6. #1616
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffer_Overflow View Post
    Glad to see you guys are still working (and progressing with this), I put down my venice5 and car pc a couple of years ago now.

    I am preparing to build a new setup based around a Rapberry Pi, all self contained in a double din unit.

    Getting my venice5 back up and running is the main reason to build this new PC, I'm hoping one of you kind soul's can answer a couple of questions I have on the current state of things (I will be reading through this thread, but that will take some time).

    Did anybody figure out how to send the audio over usb, or are you still using the original audio output pins on the module? (I'm not afraid of micro soldering)

    Has software development moved on at all? I have the original test app from 2010 by Andy Whittaker here and the DLL to go with it.

    I'm looking to get this running under Linux, is anybody else working toward this, or has anybody already achieved this?
    Grrrrrr.... missed a few posts on here, thread subscription seems to have stopped working!

    My intended application is also for a Car headunit , using an O2 Joggler as the screen/controller. Having said that I am very interested in the potential use of a R-Pi (On order ), what would you be using as a screen and gui?

    Personally I am still programming new firmware into my Verona. I've made a bit of a 'rod for my own back' by rolling my own SPI programming software for the flash chip.
    To cut a long story short, I have managed to read out the existing firmware, blank the device and then not quite program it right! So close I don't want to give up!

    I am also hoping to utilise the I2S for some audio over USB using the same microcontroller that controls the module. When I get my R-Pi I suspect I won't be able to resist connecting them together.

  7. #1617
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22
    http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/shop/ca...sh-car-pc-case - This is the case and screen combo I'm looking at, I wont be buying them until I get the RasPi and Venice module working though.

    As far as frontend's go, I'll either be making my own or seeing if I can integrate Venice5 control into RasBMC. For now I'm not too worried about frontend software as I'm still trying to get all the serial commands logged from a radio running Sony slave FW.

    I doubt you'll need any usb controller for the raspberry, I've not looked at the schematics yet (not sure if they're public) but I'm hoping it can be connected directly to the Venice module. I will be etching a PCB for the Venice module in good time but for now the most important thing is getting hold of the serial commands and getting them to work for me.

    Out of curiosity, why are you using a Verona when there is no slave FW? I have never had my V5 signal drop out (even with it's very primitive LM317T PCB) and I live in a radio blackspot.

  8. #1618
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffer_Overflow View Post
    http://www.carcomputer.co.uk/shop/ca...sh-car-pc-case - This is the case and screen combo I'm looking at, I wont be buying them until I get the RasPi and Venice module working though.

    As far as frontend's go, I'll either be making my own or seeing if I can integrate Venice5 control into RasBMC. For now I'm not too worried about frontend software as I'm still trying to get all the serial commands logged from a radio running Sony slave FW.

    I doubt you'll need any usb controller for the raspberry, I've not looked at the schematics yet (not sure if they're public) but I'm hoping it can be connected directly to the Venice module. I will be etching a PCB for the Venice module in good time but for now the most important thing is getting hold of the serial commands and getting them to work for me.

    Out of curiosity, why are you using a Verona when there is no slave FW? I have never had my V5 signal drop out (even with it's very primitive LM317T PCB) and I live in a radio blackspot.
    True you won't actually need usb to connect to the R-Pi, pretty sure a serial port is exposed on the extension header. Although USB is still a convenient connection, for moving module between target device and say a PC for testing.

    The serial commands have been documented in the thread, not sure if the V5 commands are different from the V7 ones though. The Verona is a variant of the V7 module, and can use the V7 serial MMI firmware to give the keypress style control over the serial interface.

    Have you got a Pi delivery date yet?

  9. #1619
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    My posts don't seem to be getting added. Not sure if its just me?

    I agree. You don't need USB to connect the R-Pi to a Venice. I believe the serial port is available on the expansion header. But USB is still a bit more convenient for moving between the R-Pi and say a PC for test.

    I think the Venice 5 commands are described in the thread, although it has become impossibly long now. We could do with a Wiki!
    The Verona is a variant of the Venice7 so can use the 'slave' serial MMI firmware for the Venice7.

    Hopefully this post will work!

  10. #1620
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2

    Venice 7

    Great thread ... but crawling through it I can't find a complete pinout for the Venice 7...

    Does anyone have this? And perhaps a copy of the Frontier reference schematic?

    Or to be specific... anyone know what pin is the brightness control?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •