Securing The USB Daughter Board
Securing the USB Daughter Board (got sick of it coming loose!)
CF Ultimate Radio Plug-in issues
Firstly, I am aware that the CF plug-in has not yet been released, and as such, bugs are inevitable. Here is my list of issues thus far:
1) It keeps setting the WAV volume to maximum. I would like it to leave well alone since such behaviour wakes up the neighbours!
2) It has a habit of turning on/off quickly many times when I first goto plugin screen
3) It is loading the scrolling text into the CurrentMedia.Artist and CurrentMedia.Title fields as well as the track field. I have a modified skin to display the album and artist, these get filled with scrolling text too so I see 'Radio 1' scrolling in three places at the top of the screen. Can it not just use the one field and leave the others blank?
4) Plugin is not able to properly control the audio source/destination. The audio quality when using the plug-in is really awful. I have the 'source audio device' set to 'Asus Xonar U1 Audio Device - Line In' with the 'playback audio device' set to 'Asus Xonar U1 Audio Device - Volume Control'. These are the same settings as I use with Andy's plugin on the V5 where they work fine.
If, in the ultimate radio plugins settings, I set the 'source audio device' and 'playback audio device' to 'none', thus using CF to control the radio, but not to direct the audio, then minimise CF, and manually (via sound and multimedia devices in control panel), set the line-in to 'monitor' mode then the audio quality is fine. As such, I can confidently state that this is an issue with the plugin, not my hardware/config!
As I say, with Andy's plug-in and a V5, and the exact same hardware/settings above, audio quality is excellent, with the V7 module, and the ultimate radio CF plugin audio quality is incredibly poor (unlistenable). The CF ultimate radio plugin does not manage the audio sources correctly whereas Andy's plug-in does.
5) Very high CPU use. Centrafuse sits at 30% when playing an MP3 but it sits at 75% with the radio turned on. This is possibly due to all the scrolling text etc. Can the PC not optionally disconnect from the radio when the ultimate radio screen is left, leaving the station name present, and the radio playing the last selected station. Can it also, optionally be told not to scroll the text, or display DAB scrolling text stuff. All i'm personally interested in is the station name! I have confirmed, by using the dab_master.exe app that it is definately the plugin causing all the CPU load. dab_master will control the unit with little CPU activity.
The biggy's for me are the plugins habit of setting the WAV volume on the mixer to max, and the incredibly poor audio quality when the CF plugin is controlling the audio sources. Its now residing in a box until these issues get resolved, although I'll obviously test new versions. In the meantime, the V5 and Andy's CF plugin are back in the van.
I've attached some audio recordings of the sound quality when the CF plugin is managing audio sources, vs me managing them via control panel, both with the same radio/aerial/pc/hardware. The microphone was in the same location. Basically, the 'poor quality' one is distorted. It sounds nowhere near as bad on this recording as it does in real-life!