OEM GPS mod. Writeup + Pics
Alright here we go, ya'll asked for it so here ya go. Hopefully this write up will better explain how OEM GPS modules are easily embedded into the CarPc setting. Questions / Comments please P.M. me.
Basically, I took the OEM GPS mod and baught the ribbon cable. Then soldered 4 wires to the ribbon cable. (I protected this soldering with elec. tape because the ribbon's pins are VERY tiny and the solder job was very fragile)
If your planning on doing this, a very fine solder and thin soldering iron is needed.
Once the wires we're soldered, I connected them to the system board to thier respective locations. (You'll see pin outs and images with the images attached below)
From here I found a good location to mount the GPS mod. in my case, keep in mind when mounting you'll need to account for the antenna, which will attach to the GPS mod itself, so where ever you mount the MOD make sure there is a hole nearby. My Garmin15L has a very tiny antenna connector, aligning the GPS mod to the hole to the outside (for the antenna) was the hardest part of this project.
I couldn't get pictures for the mount because it was simply too small. Here's how I did it. The Garmin 15L has 4 mounting holes, I used only one to mount it vertically. I went to a local hardware store and baught a thin and long screw with (lock nut and bolt) (the screw is one size smaller than 6-32, for your guys that know anything about screws) I also baught a nylon spacer, and made sure that it was big enough for the screw to go through. I Epoxied the nylon spacer to my OEM gps mod, then screwd a hole in the side of my case... From here I simply inserted the screw and tightened it.
Once everything was in place, I cleaned up my wires and doubled check to make sure I hadn't crossed my power wires. (This is essentia)l because if you'll notice the diagram on how to connect the GPS you'll notice it calls for a 1A fuse... I didn't bother because I'm positive that the 3.3v line on my MOBO will never increase, but if your setup is like mine and you cross a wire w/o a fuse you'll blow your GPS mod and possibly ruin the system board.
Now that everything was connected and pretty I powered the system up and ran the GPS diag. Tool from Delu Electronics (free download, see original OEM GPS Modules thread) and I was able to see that my GPS mod was collecting NMEA 1.83 data... YAY!
EDIT: After reinstalling a nLited version of windows XP my mouse began to respond irratically, at first I thought that I had an IRQ conflict but after doing hours of research I found the solution.
Windows may think that your OEM GPS mod is a serial trackball mouse. You can check this by going into the "device manager" if you see more than one mouse then it is likely that you have this problem. Here is how to solve it.
If you have a garmin 15L/H oem engine then please remember that it has an internal battery that can last up to 21 days so just unplugging the power will not stop it from transmitting to your system, you must unplug the "Data in" wire from your system board to get the mouse to stop going nuts. From here, run an advanced search for "sermouse.sys" and rename it to "sermouse.BAK.sys" reboot the machine and head back to device manager and uninstall the trackball mouse. Reboot the machine again and in mouse/other devices you should now see "Unknown Device" your done..
-Good luck with your installs !