Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 117

Thread: Electric Window Tint

  1. #101
    Low Bitrate SierraStroker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    61
    That was 10 years ago. I looked into it back then too, and while it was available it was stupidly expensive. It looks like we finally might be turning the corner to something more affordable. What I really want is pixel specific glass to replace the windows and windshield. I realize this is still a bit away from being mainstream or affordable, but they've been using this for HUDs in fighter jets for years.

    I'd really like to be able to put some info directly on my windshield. So long as it wasn't obtrusive it would actually be much safer than looking down at your screen/gps/phone/radio. Wait 10 or 20 more years and you'll probably see this in every car. They had some sort of it on the pontiac grand prix in the 90's iirc.

    Anyone tried mini projectors for this? I'm thinking it would be really dependent on outside lighting, glare, reflections, etc. But if you projected video onto the little tinted strip (that's legally allowed in most states I believe) at the top of your windshield you could probably negate a lot of that.

  2. #102
    Maximum Bitrate tempgp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    663
    my 50c here we been researching possibilities of providing commercial installs and supplies of elector photonic film and i think we are finally got good manufacturing possibilities with suppliers in china so we would be able to do some more or less expansive installs in New York area customers. And i mean black film not cheap white frost
    Cost are still high even for personal install but way cheaper than it was year ago When i get my taxes done i will build demo car and post video. here. Any one got some 1M car to do demo? ))
    Automotive LED Headlight Module High Power VS HID NEW
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+ - Convert your native navi DVD unit to CarPC + Dash buttons are usable in car pc!!!
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin

  3. #103
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Grandville, MI
    Posts
    556
    There is actually a company that makes systems like this but the dev kits are expensive.

    I have a pico laser projector that will work to produce 7"-10" displays in most sunlight.

    They have a film you can cover your windshield with that will not let the light project through but the film would be nearly $1000 to do your whole windshield in. They were supposed to be coming out with their own laser projector for this for under $1000. They have a full screen laser setup that used with the proper software and external cameras you can do augmented reality. For JUST the laser setup and the window film the dev kit is $10,000. GM is using these to design an augmented reality system for some future GM cars.

    They have some demo film in 8x11 and you can get 2 sheets for $100. They are clear or mostly clear sheets with nano particles in them that will stop light from going through. Some of the film can be used as a projector screen and some other types are excited by lasers of certain bandwidths and will broadcast in different colors. I plan to just get a couple sheets of the demo stuff and use the pico projector I currently have but I haven't had the chance to try this yet.

  4. #104
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by tempgp View Post
    my 50c here we been researching possibilities of providing commercial installs and supplies of elector photonic film and i think we are finally got good manufacturing possibilities with suppliers in china so we would be able to do some more or less expansive installs in New York area customers. And i mean black film not cheap white frost
    Cost are still high even for personal install but way cheaper than it was year ago When i get my taxes done i will build demo car and post video. here. Any one got some 1M car to do demo? ))
    I'd be interested to know details and how much cheaper it is then the last solution! Cant' say I'd buy something like this unless it got to be below 2k or so but it is pretty cool stuff.

  5. #105
    Maximum Bitrate tempgp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    663
    redheadedrod, i think you are talking about frosted glass. that glass is perfect for projections but sux for driving and also happened to be 10 times cheaper then other tint I have projectors i can swap leds with class one laser or i can build my own as we are doing that for the client. But i don't think projecting image has anything to do with tints. Im more interested in tints so i dont get tickets. Don't know about other states and cities abut NYC went crazy about window tints

    Hdale85, im still squeezing manufacturers to give me better deals. I think market price to do the car is $8-10k, equipment + install. $2k is reasonable request, im working to get closer to this. So far i probably more closer to $4k tag. I also don't want to use Chinese electronics controllers for safety reasons (So no one gets killed with high voltage. high current
    Automotive LED Headlight Module High Power VS HID NEW
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+ - Convert your native navi DVD unit to CarPC + Dash buttons are usable in car pc!!!
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin

  6. #106
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    305
    Well you certainly made a huge improvement on price, but certainly not where I'd be able to afford it lol. The technology is quite interesting though.

  7. #107
    Maximum Bitrate tempgp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    663
    yes nice technology, too bad police will find way to get around that but id say we would have about 5-10 years of joy. Just need to wait till it more or less affordable even for mid size luxury cars. With speed prices drop i think in 2 years this would cost like $1k for install Big problem though that patent owner does not allow price drops so all cheaper films are bootlegs
    Automotive LED Headlight Module High Power VS HID NEW
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+ - Convert your native navi DVD unit to CarPC + Dash buttons are usable in car pc!!!
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin

  8. #108
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Grandville, MI
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by tempgp View Post
    redheadedrod, i think you are talking about frosted glass. that glass is perfect for projections but sux for driving and also happened to be 10 times cheaper then other tint I have projectors i can swap leds with class one laser or i can build my own as we are doing that for the client. But i don't think projecting image has anything to do with tints. Im more interested in tints so i dont get tickets. Don't know about other states and cities abut NYC went crazy about window tints
    I will look it up but no it is not frosted glass. It is a simple film. They show how you can place the film on a window at a store and use a standard projector and display an advertisement that can be seen from outside normally or mirror image from the inside. In a car you will notice a clear film similar to the HUD displays. They do have some other films that have a slight tint to them as well but they use nano particles in the film which allows them to block the rays from going through but allow normal light through just fine. Think of a sunshielded windshield. Similar idea. But really isn't related to tint on your windows.

  9. #109
    Maximum Bitrate tempgp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by redheadedrod View Post
    I will look it up but no it is not frosted glass. It is a simple film. They show how you can place the film on a window at a store and use a standard projector and display an advertisement that can be seen from outside normally or mirror image from the inside. In a car you will notice a clear film similar to the HUD displays. They do have some other films that have a slight tint to them as well but they use nano particles in the film which allows them to block the rays from going through but allow normal light through just fine. Think of a sunshielded windshield. Similar idea. But really isn't related to tint on your windows.
    well in this case every one whom outside will still see me in the car not much privacy there
    Automotive LED Headlight Module High Power VS HID NEW
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+ - Convert your native navi DVD unit to CarPC + Dash buttons are usable in car pc!!!
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin

  10. #110
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    305
    He was talking about for uses other then being able to see you, such as heads up display, projected dashboards, nightvision, etc. Hence why it was on the windshield

Similar Threads

  1. Onscreen keyboard
    By gti in forum Map Monkey
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 10:00 PM
  2. Alpine City Cruise
    By Hell-Stopper in forum RR Skins
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
  3. iGuidance 2.x auto-run shortcut
    By ziggyrama in forum GPS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 06:05 PM
  4. Does window tint really make a difference?
    By Ascension in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 07:03 AM
  5. window tint on lcd?
    By cash_Money in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 09:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •