It should also be noted that the Brando USB Radio(cheaper than the Silabs) is actually just the Silabs module in a different case and with an aerial as discussed in this thread.
I'll also help test this new .dll as the main problem I've been having is the sounds not cutting off when changine between radio and media in CF
I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.
i've been playing with my skins lately and now i've stuffed up my presets list somehow. I'm using the simplistique skin, can any1 tell me what i need to look for to get the presets to work? everytime i add one via the skin the list is blank the next time i getback to it
What i think is wierd is that when you attach a external antenna the recieption only gets good just like a original radio.
could it be that the pc is the bottleneck because it cannot transfer the radio signal fast enough to the usb radio adapter while the cars is moving?..
hardware implementation of the front-end RF amp/pre-amp.
I would like to know if anyone has had a problem with the USB radio. mine worked fine for about two months, then the computer kept making the 'USB device connected/disconnected' sound and now all I have is an orange LED on the USB radio and the computer will not recognize it.
I emailed Silabs about my problem, and they replied.....
Sorry for the delay in answering your email. The problem you are seeing is probably due to flash corruption which means that the contents of the flash has been accidentally modified. In this case you should reflash the device.
To upload again the flash with the correct firmware you will have to do the following:
1. download the latest version of the FM Radio RD firmware from our website:
2. connect to the USB FM Radio (you need an USB Debug Adapter for this):
- on the debug adapter's connector, the pin 1 is the one corresponding to the red wire or to the arrow on the connector
- take the FM Radio board out of its casing
- near the MCU are three holes which are the GND (written next to it C12), C2CLK (written R18) and C2DAT (written C17). These holes can be used to connect to the device using the debug adapter as follows
- connect pin 9 of the Debug adapter to GND (hole with C12)
- connect pin 7 of the debug adapter to C2CLK (hole with R18)
- connect pin 4 of the debug adapter to C2DAT (hole with C17)
3. connect the USB FM radio to the USB port and the USB Debug Adapter to another USB port
4. open the silabs ide and press the connect button. The device should get connected
5. extract the zip file you have downloaded
6. open the F320_FM_Radio.wsp project with the silabs ide
7. compile the project and download it to the device.
8. disconnect all wires and everything should be working properly
You will need the full keil compiler to compile this project since it is bigger than the standard 2K. In case you do not have the full keil compiler, I have attached the compiled hex file which can be uploaded to the MCU as is.
Please let us know if you have further questions.
So I have to buy more stuff from them to reflash a product that I bought from them and stopped working! Surely this can't be?
Anyone else had to do this?
The Silabs module isn't a 'consumer product' so to speak. It's more of a demonstration of the hardware produced by Silabs that is used by resellers etc.
I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.
I can't get my silabs to work good in my car, probably because the car antenna is powered.. If I plug the connector from the silabs to the car antenna it work intermittent, if I unpluggit and try with a simple wire 30cm long work but no very good signal.. so I think the problem is the car antenna..
How can I know id is a powered antenna?
If is powered how can i connect my silabs to it??
My car is New Hyundai santa fe.
After a few more e-mails to Silib Labs and a few tests carried out on my USB radio, they found that it is a fault with the device and are going to send me a new one. Can't wait to try it in the van.
trinky2000, when you say 'powered' do you mean with an amplifier, because every car ariel that I know that is called 'powered' simply means that it is a telescopic ariel which can be powered up and down by the ignition or radio.
ViVE - Volkswagen In Van Entertainment:
VoomPC 2, VIA C7 2GHz
120Gb Sata drive
[||||||||||] 100% - Planning
[||||||||||] 100% - Software coding
[||||||||||] 100% - Built
Any way something strange happened..
I've the cable an the shield soldered to the silabs and I've a connector female connected to the car antenna male connector...
I connected a simple 1 meter wire to the shield by the hole on the plastic of the silabs (a little spot was not covered), this cable is non connected to anything.. then I folded that cable and everithing and place it in the back of the monitor... Everything work great!!!
How that could be???
I'm still not sure if my car antenna is amplified, is a New Hyundai Santa Fe...