iPod Head Unit Project Underway, Need Help Gathering Info!
Ok, This might have been done but i didn't find it if it has. My 40gb 4gen iPod died a while back and i was contemplating the idea of turning it into my main head unit since i have a double din car. Crazy? possibly but its due-able if done right. I have looked online but havnt found what i really need. There are sites for 1.8 to 2.5 and 3.5 IDE connections known as "iPod Super" and "iPod Junior" but its not as clean as i would like...So my list of problems.
1. I need a clean way to connect a 2.5/3.5 IDE hard drive to the ipod.
- Make a 1.8 to 2.5/3.5 IDE adaptor(pain in the a$$ and not easy to just unplug to upload songs)
- Run 1.8 to 1.8 USB interface card, then run a USB cable to a 2.5/3.5 External USB enclosure?? Is it possible to go from USB card to USB card?(Makes for a vary easy way to take the hard drive out of the car to upload songs)
2. Amp - Since the iPod cant run car speakers then i need an amp that doesn't need a remote turn-on lead. I have no idea about this one!
3. Power - The iPod and the external drive needs to be powered and shut down when the car is turned off. I know there are plenty of 12v to 12v power supplies on MP3 car but they seem to be a bit much for such a small power need.
4. Other ideas -
- Use a wireless USB hub to transfer songs to the ipod?
- any cable that connects to the bottom connecter port on the ipod and has all the wire leads not just the USB/Firewire wires.
- Any way to dim the ipod backlight since it might be a little bright in night driving.
I'm not just asking for a hand out, im working on this so other can learn to. It would be a great way to make a iPod head unit that has unlimited storage space... Any ideas would be awsome for everyone not just myself. Thanks -AKD