Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 695

Thread: Project NiteVision - NiteMax + HUD + carputer

  1. #101
    Variable Bitrate quantum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    372
    Hi guys,

    Real life just came up and bit me in the *** a few weeks ago...damn!

    Well, I've caught up on this thread finally. You guys are right on the money with the polarized film. It is definitely the way to go. You will have a difficult time finding the water white polarizing films, as mentioned most will have a tint to them of some sort.

    i will make a few calls and see if I can get something a litle more clear. I don't know either way, my gut says no, but I will try.

    Hey, one thing that popped into my head a few weeks ago and just thought I'd mention...the mounting of the ccd/lens itself. You guys know I am using a grille enclosure, and I saw some were considering the inside route by mounting it to the mirror. However, if someone shorter/taller/better looking drives the car, the camera lens could be poiting at the sky when they adjust the mirror for themselves.

    Best bet might be to find a way to affix it to the windshield with suction cups or something. Then again, that's only if someone else is driving your car. Just food for thought.

    Shotgun, I'm going to order that glass too, I have an idea. Also, try putting a piece of that film over the front of the camer lens for the headlight glare issue. My guess is 2 things happen, the diffusion of light on the ocular surface contributes a little, and the huge amount of light is probabkly overloading the board. Film might help reduce some of the glare.

    BTW alti, that mount looks hot. Mine will be similar, but fixed in place. Can you e-mail me a few close up shots?

  2. #102
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,164
    QUANTUM RETURNS!

    Not mounting ot teh mirror itself...the arm of the mirror is stationary, unless yoru car is a bit diff than mine. Anyways, that's not happening til my second shipment is paid for and comes in (ie, when i get PAID +5 days).

    Where are you getting the headlight glare, i'm not following that.

    Does anyone know where i can get a 4-6" VGA lcd? Seriously, can't find one ANYWHERE. I mean, short of using the nitemax LCD soldered to vga, i'm not sure what i can do...

    I was thinking of doing a dual display with the GPS and speedo on one screen and the basic carputer stuff on the other, but i need a scree small enough.

    Shotgun, where are those magnifiers found?

    quantum, i forget yourcontact info, but hit me up, what ahppened a few weeks ago? I thought it was a midterm/spring break thing that contributed to your disappearance...
    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

    THE GF THEME
    Genesis has speed
    Genesis has class
    Genesis sent money
    before your a__;)

    Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

  3. #103
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum
    Hi guys,

    ...
    Hey, one thing that popped into my head a few weeks ago and just thought I'd mention...the mounting of the ccd/lens itself. You guys know I am using a grille enclosure, and I saw some were considering the inside route by mounting it to the mirror. However, if someone shorter/taller/better looking drives the car, the camera lens could be poiting at the sky when they adjust the mirror for themselves.
    ...
    Shotgun, I'm going to order that glass too, I have an idea. Also, try putting a piece of that film over the front of the camer lens for the headlight glare issue. My guess is 2 things happen, the diffusion of light on the ocular surface contributes a little, and the huge amount of light is probabkly overloading the board. Film might help reduce some of the glare.
    ...
    I'm not mounting mine to the mirror, but to the control box for it that's already on the windsheild. Basically it's already got a abs box mounted to the glass which has a wire that comes out to the mirror, the mirror is mounted to a tab next to it.

    I dont' think the privacy film will do much. It's meant to pass light that's aimed within roughly 40 degrees of center.

    I'll have to play with the features and see if I can't do something with the gain I think. Even led streetlights look like suns.

  4. #104
    FLAC alti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,723
    mine is getting mounted to the large mount for the mirror on the windsheild as well. I does not move with the rest of the mirror.

    send me your email address and I will send you over some hi-res pics of hte mount. I will also try to get the sony camera to shot some more pics with, my fugi has alot of trouble getting clear pics up close
    My Install

    Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

    CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

    StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

  5. #105
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesisfactor
    QUANTUM RETURNS!
    ...
    Where are you getting the headlight glare, i'm not following that.

    Does anyone know where i can get a 4-6" VGA lcd? Seriously, can't find one ANYWHERE. I mean, short of using the nitemax LCD soldered to vga, i'm not sure what i can do...

    I was thinking of doing a dual display with the GPS and speedo on one screen and the basic carputer stuff on the other, but i need a scree small enough.

    Shotgun, where are those magnifiers found?
    If I'm near something while trying to display a HUD type image, the headlight shining off whatever is in front of me, drowns out the image.

    For a 4-6" LCD, try the PSONE screens. 5" 640x480. There are some caveats. Some can take RGB, some can't. Here's a huge thread at bit-tech.net

    For the maginfiers, just search ebay for "gameboy sp magnifier", about 300 of em.

    Though Edmund Scientific sells fresnel lenses cheap, (and they have polariziers), but their sight seems to have just taken a dump.

  6. #106
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    30
    Hey, just thought I'd add my ideas rather than start a very similar thread. I've been following this for a about a week and read through it several times.

    I was wondering whether anyone has looked into making a system very similar to the ones above but using the ideas behind a DIY projector, like these?

    I was thinking you could use ultrabright white LEDs as the light source, shone through a small (2.5-52) active matrix LCD screen, then pass this through the relevant filters and lenses. I was also planning with mine to use a very thin plastic screen on top of the dash to project onto, rather than projecting onto the windscreen. This solves the problems of placing tints onto the windscreen (which in the UK could be a legality issue), and I can also motorise this so it can be withdrawn into the dash when not needed?

    Another advantage of this is that you can have greater control over the brightness of the screen. I was thinking of using an LDR to regulate the brightness of the white LEDs, so if there is a car coming towards you with headlights on, or real bright daylight, or going through tunnels, etc, the LEDs would adjust the brightness accordingly.

    The one last advantage I thought this would give is with the control it gives you over the reflection/refraction angles and ghost images. Because you would essentially only be projecting the image through one enlarging lense and onto the viewing surface you can set up the viewing angle of the screen precisely and you don't need to worry about the curvature of the windscreen?

    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Its a bit of a rough idea so far, haven't had time to sit down and work anything out on paper yet.

  7. #107
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy_basturd
    Hey, just thought I'd add my ideas rather than start a very similar thread. I've been following this for a about a week and read through it several times.

    I was wondering whether anyone has looked into making a system very similar to the ones above but using the ideas behind a DIY projector, like these?

    I was thinking you could use ultrabright white LEDs as the light source, shone through a small (2.5-52) active matrix LCD screen, then pass this through the relevant filters and lenses. I was also planning with mine to use a very thin plastic screen on top of the dash to project onto, rather than projecting onto the windscreen. This solves the problems of placing tints onto the windscreen (which in the UK could be a legality issue), and I can also motorise this so it can be withdrawn into the dash when not needed?

    Another advantage of this is that you can have greater control over the brightness of the screen. I was thinking of using an LDR to regulate the brightness of the white LEDs, so if there is a car coming towards you with headlights on, or real bright daylight, or going through tunnels, etc, the LEDs would adjust the brightness accordingly.

    The one last advantage I thought this would give is with the control it gives you over the reflection/refraction angles and ghost images. Because you would essentially only be projecting the image through one enlarging lense and onto the viewing surface you can set up the viewing angle of the screen precisely and you don't need to worry about the curvature of the windscreen?

    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Its a bit of a rough idea so far, haven't had time to sit down and work anything out on paper yet.
    Well I think it's pretty much the same tact. The nitemaxes are 2.5 lcd, you can control the back lighting brightness as well. Just a motorized pot IIRC. Most of us are planning on some sort of reflector instead of directly on the windshield. When you say reflector, are you thinking an opaque screen?

    I'm interested in fresnels myself (see above), though still have concerns about the sun concentrating too much heat in a spot.

  8. #108
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    30
    Lol, yea, I've just been reading through the results of a search (sorry, should of done that before posting). I spose it is the same as what your doing. I was planning on mounting the LCD projector part in a box right under the windscreen, within the dash. The image from the LCD then gets projected through a lense to enlarge it and then through another lense to get it to project straightly on to the viewing screen (CD case or similar). Lol, the more I think about it the more I think I'm not bringing anything new to the table, just the fact that i'm projecting it forward towards the driver (so no need for flipping/mirroring the image).

  9. #109
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunefx
    I'm interested in fresnels myself (see above), though still have concerns about the sun concentrating too much heat in a spot.
    Fresnels act differently than your average magnifying glass. One way results in diffused light and one way results in collimated(concentrated) light. If you're using the fresnel to magnify the image, the ridges will be away from the panel focusing the light toward your eye(or windshield or whatever). Any light going the other way into the fresnel will spread the light out along its whole area.

    There's also another easy way out of this that nobody's even thought of. You're looking at cutting into your dash already, why not just make a little motorized flap that covers up the whole deal when the car's off?

  10. #110
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    Fresnels act differently than your average magnifying glass. One way results in diffused light and one way results in collimated(concentrated) light. If you're using the fresnel to magnify the image, the ridges will be away from the panel focusing the light toward your eye(or windshield or whatever). Any light going the other way into the fresnel will spread the light out along its whole area.

    There's also another easy way out of this that nobody's even thought of. You're looking at cutting into your dash already, why not just make a little motorized flap that covers up the whole deal when the car's off?
    I've been reading up on fresnels, but not much experience. Just what I've read from time to time when thinking about building a projector.

    I'd think that if that's the case, the only sun problem you might have is glare at high noon.

    I was thinking along the lines of being able to cover it, more for inspection purposes though. I'm lucky, I've got a nice spot for it under the gauge cowel so I only would have to cut a lid in the cowel itself and I've got more a few spares laying around.

Similar Threads

  1. PROJECT: 2004 Xterra Carputer
    By elgenyo in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 03:23 PM
  2. VW Golf mk3 - carputer project
    By Sh0cker in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 09:14 AM
  3. My Carputer Project, need advice
    By natesimpson74 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 12:14 AM
  4. My carputer project: Solaslim
    By nthai in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 02:43 PM
  5. New CarPuter Project: Need Input!
    By Tremek in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-31-2002, 02:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •