High End Carputer but faltering at the sofware bit
A HUGE helllo to everyone on mp3car.
I am actually in the process of making a massive leap in terms of source quality as I have replaced my Eclipse CD7200MKII with a carputer.
The setup is as follows:
1. Front Stage:
Illusion Audio CH-1 horns with (maybe) Alpine SPX17PRO/Dynaudio MW 162/Creative SDX7 (depends on what I zero down on, finally) woofers powered by a Genesis Stereo 60 and DLS RA20 amplifier respectively.
2. Rear Fill:
Morel Tempo Coaxial speakers powered by a JBL amplifier
JBL W12GTi powered by a Clarion DPX11551 monoblock amplifier.
The computer in question is a Core i3 based PC with an M4ATX power supply and an Asus Xonar D2X is the soundcard of choice.
I am using Virtual Audio Cable + AUDIOMULCH + Centrafuse as the front end to route audio through the soundcard.
I will be using VST plugins for the following:
1. Frequency allocation for each channel/Crossover etc.
2. Time alignment for each channel
3. 16/32 band eq for each channel
I have a few questions. Kindly help me solve these small niggles:
1. Can someone be kind enough to prepare a schematic diagram (audiomulch) for me, showing me the order in which the plugins should be placed, alongwith actual distribution of audio channels?? I am very confused with the whole 'sound-in' and 'sound-out' bit in audiomulch and the last time I tried, I kind of messed the output, where increasing the subwoofer level also increased the level in the right front speaker.
2. In audiomulch, should I select Directsound or Virtual Audio Cable as the source?
3. Virtual Audio Cable is very confusing, especially the option where one has to 'select' soundcards and turn them on and off. I am absolutely alien to using VAC. Which soundcards to turn off/ on? The soundcards shown are
1. Asus Xonar D2X
2. Realtek ALCxxx codec (the onboard audio)
4. Can someone actually run me through how I should make the whole setup work? I have tried several permutations with VAC, Directsound, Asus Audiocenter etc. but I just can't get it to sound well. (most of the time, I don't even get any form of output)
5. I get a few pops and artefacts when I am using directsound.
6. I have good equipment but I am a really confused guy, since my first effort at putting the whole thing together sounded AWFUL.
7. What is ASIO4ALL and what part does it play in all this? How to get it to work??
8. Windows 7 or Windows XP?
9. DO i need to install the WHOLE software package that came with the Asus Xonar D2X (ie the driver + the control center software) or JUST the WDM drivers of the card???
Someone needs to sit me down (literally) and spoonfeed the whole shebang to me. I am at my wit’s end.
Let’s put it this way. I need guidance from the FIRST step (hardware and wiring is all perfect, I just falter at the software bit)