audio over USB v. optical
Let's just say that you have an outboard unit (like a DAC) that will convert the audio stream from digital to analogue.
What do you see as the pros and cons to USB over optical?
EDIT: Since this thread has taken on it's own identity, I'm going to post this up here at the top to help explain what's going on here and what my intent is with this idea.
This product, this idea, is all designed as a high end solution that does not currently exist for the relatively small population out there that is interested in high end audio. It was never intended as a vast consumer solution, as there are already plenty of those avaliable.
Everyone needs to remember, when starting out designing a product, you cannot implement the features that everyone wants, and you cannot implement the one off features that one or two people want. This product needs to be useable to the most people possible (the most high end users at this point). As such, the list below has been set forth at this point in time.
We now have a list of desired features:
- USB connection to the PC (this is because USB is most readily avaliable, Firewire will be next once this is underway)
- 5 pair of RCA outputs (again, this will be adjusted once we know things work)
- at least 4V outputs, prefered to have 8V
- socketed RCA sockets - so that the end user can opt to upgrade the sockets if desired
- User replaceable OpAmps
- User replaceable caps would be nice, but not necessary.
- 12v DC power supply, able to be run on unregulated 12v DC would be even better.
- Encased in an external enclosure - much like a DAC or an external sound card
- Size is of concern, we need it to be small enough that it's easily able to be hidden. Nothing like the size of the DBX drive rack and the like. Something along the same size as the Alpine 701 brain.
with this we can now start to look at building a prototype. I've contacted Douglas and asked him to take a look at this thread and if he wanted to register to give us some input. We'll see. Else I've got a few other contacts I can go after.