Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: USB Extension problems

  1. #11
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    I will try this

    Many thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by rgardjr
    I'm experiencing the same type of problem with my Epia M10000 and my USB touchscreen, earthmate GPS and Sonica USB soundcard. I may have fixed it by changing a bios setting to allow for a USB keyboard. I think its the same as the legacy USB support setting that I've seen in other bios's. It provides power to the USB ports at boot up so a USB keyboard can work before Windows starts up. I just changed this last night and I was 4 for 4 today on booting up will all my USB devices working! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix my problem with USB devices requiring the unplug/plug and sometime driver reinstall to work.
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  2. #12
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    My issue is that it works but only after you unplug the extension and plug it back in again, so it won't detect after powering on for the first time I will give the usb keyboard option a go

    Quote Originally Posted by LESLIEx317537
    Are your devices self powered?

    Where is the power coming from? Maybe it need's more power.
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  3. #13
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by slarty
    My issue is that it works but only after you unplug the extension and plug it back in again, so it won't detect after powering on for the first time I will give the usb keyboard option a go
    Yes, but maybe the power is very little going to it, and then when you unplug it, the charge/power builds up and when you plug it in, it surges some power and then recognizes it?

  4. #14
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    Ahh

    Interesting

    I had off the C134 x1 Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse, x1 usb touch screen, and the usb extension lead for the GPS, with out the extension it works fine and with it only works when I unplug and replug in, I also added an 802.11g USB adapter yesterday, now they all work except the GPS when i put the extension in. hmm

    I don't know about surge power as it seems to handle all these units but I'm open to any ideas I'm even concidering a Blue tooth GPS as a replacement if anyone can recommend one?



    Quote Originally Posted by LESLIEx317537
    Yes, but maybe the power is very little going to it, and then when you unplug it, the charge/power builds up and when you plug it in, it surges some power and then recognizes it?
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  5. #15
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    You have that many devices and no powered USB hub?

    I have a 4 port small hub in front and back and I powered them to make sure...

  6. #16
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    These are all on their own ports

    What type of hub are you using and what voltage is it, will it work off the 12v loam in the car?

    Quote Originally Posted by LESLIEx317537
    You have that many devices and no powered USB hub?

    I have a 4 port small hub in front and back and I powered them to make sure...
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  7. #17
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    I have a tripplite mini 4 port hub I bought off ebay for 5 buks in front.
    And a Mini Belkin 4 port hub I got at Bestbuy in the rear.
    The tripplites came with a AC adapter. I just chopeed the head off and mated it to a standard computer molex connector.

    Both dc inputs where the same size and polarity on the hubs.
    They take 5 volts. Since I run power from my Keypower 250watt PS, I stole power from that.

    If you want 5 volts from 12 volts, you can get a regulator that brings the voltage down to 5 volts from 12 and gives off the extra energy as some heat.
    It's a cheap device from Radioshack that runs off 12 volts ciggy lighter in car. You can get it for like 10 buks? Just make sure you hook it up to a ignition on line, so it doesnt drain batt when car is off. I would splice into the preludes ciggy adapter.

  8. #18
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    Right. yes I the regultors to do this. I'm puzzled though, I'll try your suggestion


    Quote Originally Posted by LESLIEx317537
    I have a tripplite mini 4 port hub I bought off ebay for 5 buks in front.
    And a Mini Belkin 4 port hub I got at Bestbuy in the rear.
    The tripplites came with a AC adapter. I just chopeed the head off and mated it to a standard computer molex connector.

    Both dc inputs where the same size and polarity on the hubs.
    They take 5 volts. Since I run power from my Keypower 250watt PS, I stole power from that.

    If you want 5 volts from 12 volts, you can get a regulator that brings the voltage down to 5 volts from 12 and gives off the extra energy as some heat.
    It's a cheap device from Radioshack that runs off 12 volts ciggy lighter in car. You can get it for like 10 buks? Just make sure you hook it up to a ignition on line, so it doesnt drain batt when car is off. I would splice into the preludes ciggy adapter.
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  9. #19
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    I also found this interesting -

    "If no devices work when they are plugged into the root hub, verify that the power requirements of the bus are not being exceeded. USB devices may draw a maximum of 500 milliamps (mA) per connection. If a device attempts to draw more than this, the specification calls for the ability to disable that specific port until the system power is cycled (this is called "suspending" the port). In addition, if the device draws less than 50 mA, the port never becomes active."

    "There are two types of USB cables: high speed and low speed. Low-speed cables differ primarily in their shielding. Plugging a high-speed device into a low-speed cable can cause signal distortion over long distances.

    Verify the entire USB chain to be certain that a device that requires the ability to draw power from the hub is not plugged into the chain on the other side of a non-powered hub. This causes that hub and all of the devices down the chain to be suspended. If it is a powered hub, verify that the power supply for that hub is configured properly. "

    -from
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

  10. #20
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    What's a active extension cable?

    I used a 2.0 extension cable in my car. It was like 10 feet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. usb mouse stops working
    By corsamel in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 06:53 AM
  2. GPS Receiver - USB -vs- Serial
    By Daz in forum GPS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 05:56 PM
  3. USB Sound Card with ASIO driver and volume control
    By tbdombrosky in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 12:00 AM
  4. USB extension
    By az1324 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2002, 12:14 PM
  5. longest usb extension
    By zx3chris in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2002, 02:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •