Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: USB Extension problems

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303

    USB Extension problems

    Hi

    I just moved my USB GPS HE 202E to the front of the car using a USB extender and unfortunately it requires me to unplug the usb extension in and out every time now to regognise the device.

    Can anyone shed any light on why it won't detect on startup and why it needs to be unplugged and replugged in to recognise it?
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate rgardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by slarty
    Hi

    I just moved my USB GPS HE 202E to the front of the car using a USB extender and unfortunately it requires me to unplug the usb extension in and out every time now to regognise the device.

    Can anyone shed any light on why it won't detect on startup and why it needs to be unplugged and replugged in to recognise it?
    How long is your run. I think usb can only go about 15 feet without needing an active extension cable. Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=B133-1018
    Don't know if this will help or not since it sound like the device is actually working once you unplug/plug to get it recognized.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    I should have said its a 3 metre Active extension. thanks anyay. I have used this cable before with no issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by rgardjr
    How long is your run. I think usb can only go about 15 feet without needing an active extension cable. Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?sku=B133-1018
    Don't know if this will help or not since it sound like the device is actually working once you unplug/plug to get it recognized.
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    136
    i say get a new cable because i just put together 30 feet of misc cables to make one long usb cable and it worked fine with my exnarc screen

    james

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate binary.h4x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    852
    my zippy keyboard sometimes requires a re-plug, i dont know whats up with that.
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    Its interesting what is the USB device doing when its plugged in and out after the OS has started which is different to it being plugged in from a cold start. Is there a method to restart the USB device after the OS has started in a batch file?

    Quote Originally Posted by binary.h4x
    my zippy keyboard sometimes requires a re-plug, i dont know whats up with that.
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  7. #7
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,681
    I am running 2 x 6 meter USB cables fine... after 10 meters its sposed to get a bit dodgy but that been said I ran a USB camera over my RJ45 network here and the total distance must have been a lot more then that.

    Terran

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate slarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    303
    Its not the data its just not identifying the USB device on startup from power down. You have to unlug then reconnect for the OS to find the USB device.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccsnet
    I am running 2 x 6 meter USB cables fine... after 10 meters its sposed to get a bit dodgy but that been said I ran a USB camera over my RJ45 network here and the total distance must have been a lot more then that.

    Terran
    Lilliput 8", C134 EPIA-M 900 (Black), A1-ITX, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, DVD, 802.11g, mini keyboard

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate rgardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by slarty
    Its not the data its just not identifying the USB device on startup from power down. You have to unlug then reconnect for the OS to find the USB device.
    I'm experiencing the same type of problem with my Epia M10000 and my USB touchscreen, earthmate GPS and Sonica USB soundcard. I may have fixed it by changing a bios setting to allow for a USB keyboard. I think its the same as the legacy USB support setting that I've seen in other bios's. It provides power to the USB ports at boot up so a USB keyboard can work before Windows starts up. I just changed this last night and I was 4 for 4 today on booting up will all my USB devices working! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix my problem with USB devices requiring the unplug/plug and sometime driver reinstall to work.

  10. #10
    FLAC LESLIEx317537's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,597
    Are your devices self powered?

    Where is the power coming from? Maybe it need's more power.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. usb mouse stops working
    By corsamel in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 06:53 AM
  2. GPS Receiver - USB -vs- Serial
    By Daz in forum GPS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 05:56 PM
  3. USB Sound Card with ASIO driver and volume control
    By tbdombrosky in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 12:00 AM
  4. USB extension
    By az1324 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2002, 12:14 PM
  5. longest usb extension
    By zx3chris in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2002, 02:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •