M-Bus CD changer adapter for car pc integration
What is it ?
MBus USB adapter allows PC to "understand" commands sent by device which supports MBus protocol such as Alpine headunit, PIE adapters, iCruze Linx and many others.
In many cases PC can replace CD Changer with many more functions. Like playing MP3, OGG, video or even voice guided GPS on a long road. Why bother with very limited CD Changer if you can afford PC for almost the same price ? Get more for less !
It will not require changing your car's dashboard, expensive molding or even touchscreen. You can place PC anywhere you want and "talk" to it from the very ergonomic headunit keybord.
Can I see the demo ?
Here is the short movie clip with MBus adapter in action: MBus in action ( 3Mb / 85 secs )
Can WinAmp or any other frontend use it ?
Here is the source for the WinAmp plugin used in the demo movie above.
Make sure you have placed text file with all your playlists into "c:\program files\winamp\plugins\hump3.cfg". The example config file is here.
Each playlist in the list become a virtual disk when you change disks on HU.
Which car makes it supports ?
So far preliminary we know it supports:
- Mercedes Benz 1994...98
- Jaguar ( ?? years )
- Chryslers/Jeeps 96-02
- Volvo HU models SCxxxx
- all others via PIE or iCruze Linx adapters...
Which HU it supports ?
All MBus Alpine headunits such as: TDM-xxx, CDM-xxx
3 steps only:
1. Place laptop PC or car PC enywhere in a car. Secure and power it.
2. Attach the MBus adapter to your headunit directly or via adapters (PIE, iCruze Link ) and PC.
3. Run the PC and get the sound from it on your speakers instantly !
What else ?
There are unlimited capabilities with your pc and MBus USB adapter. Just name a few:
1. Set your disk buttons on HU to represent playlists. Get unlimited number of playlists and songs !
2. Set button for disk 6 to switch to a video mode. Get your car video !
3. Set button for disk 5 to switch over to a voice guidance if your PC has a microphone and appropriate navigation software. Get guided right now !
4. Set button for disk 4 to switch to XM radio and navigate through it by selecting tracks. Get radio digitalized !
How it is look like ?
Here is the pic of adapter:
Here is the pic of adapter in action:
How to get it ?
MBus adapter is available to anyone as sample with all schematics and source code.
Also I have mostly working PBus adapter which has the same size and I have all source code available for it.
Send me PM if you need it.
The new version of it is available for sale at http://indashpc.org/new/adapters/usbmbus.html
My best regards.