Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: shotgun & array microphones for speech recognition

  1. #1
    Newbie kykeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    kansas city area, missouri
    Posts
    20

    Thumbs up shotgun & array microphones for speech recognition

    Has anyone here experimented with professional shotgun microphones for speech recognition? I'm considering buying this microphone: Audio-Technica AT835B Short Shotgun Condenser Microphone (http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--23740/)

    I believe I can achieve far better results with this mic in a noisy room. I actually plan to use this mic for my home jukebox system (and later in a car system.) The current mics I'm using do work pretty well though. In a car the crown pzm-10 and pzm-11 mic's work pretty well even while on the freeway with a moderate amount of road noise. With the crown mic's I can control my jukebox from 20 feet away with high accuracy in a quiet room. My headset microphone (parrot talkpro) works even better with lots of road noise and the stereo turned up.

    I'm also considering buying this microphone - Acoustic Magic (http://www.acousticmagic.com/products/)

    Does anyone know which mic might be better in a noisy environment, e.g. human speech, tv, ect.

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    IntelligentJukebox.com
    "There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo, 1802-1885

  2. #2
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Hmmm. I get great results with my Logitech MIC, even when I have rap music playing. I've got the noise-canceling non-usb Logitech MIC.

    BTW: What language is your software written in?

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate hd54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    839
    do a search here - someone once posted a link to an online shop with microphones specifically designed for in-car use. The mics cost about $100, but they were supposed to be the more expensive array-type microphones. They were designed to be used as an OEM by car manufacturers for their own in-car communications setups and clipped right onto your sun visor or built into the headliner/dash.

    Good luck.

    -HD

  4. #4
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by hd54321
    do a search here - someone once posted a link to an online shop with microphones specifically designed for in-car use. The mics cost about $100, but they were supposed to be the more expensive array-type microphones. They were designed to be used as an OEM by car manufacturers for their own in-car communications setups and clipped right onto your sun visor or built into the headliner/dash.

    Good luck.

    -HD
    $100 for a mic? Are they made of gold or something? My logitech cost me $20. The USB version runs for $30. If you place the MIC in the right spot then al should be well, otherwise it will either pick up too much road or speaker noise.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    depends on how loud your car is... I have not been able to get my cheap directional mic to work in the car, though it works fine 5 feet away in a quiet room.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate Caelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bellevue, NE
    Posts
    834
    You do know that the post you replied to is over 3 years old?
    2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
    Core Duo CarPC
    CarDomain page

  7. #7
    One Sharp Cheddar ThunderStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Allis, WI
    Posts
    1,654
    http://store.mp3car.com/Andrea_Super..._p/com-054.htm
    I use the andrea sound beam mic, it works fairly well. The key to using a mic for in car use is to have a push to talk button or a button you have to push in order to make the mic listen. I believe this is what ford did with it's sync system. Otherwise your computer will get confused and may here things when it is not supposed to.
    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate Woofnstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by 0l33l View Post
    $100 for a mic? Are they made of gold or something? My logitech cost me $20.
    sorry i LOLed

    a good shotgun mic starts at about $1k and goes up

    but for car use.. $100 i wouldnt class as too much..if it works well.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
    http://store.mp3car.com/Andrea_Super..._p/com-054.htm
    I use the andrea sound beam mic, it works fairly well. The key to using a mic for in car use is to have a push to talk button or a button you have to push in order to make the mic listen. I believe this is what ford did with it's sync system. Otherwise your computer will get confused and may here things when it is not supposed to.
    Has anyone implemented a control like this? Which voice-recognition software did it work with?

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    I just bought an andrea mic, I will let you know how it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •