Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Any cheap four way buttons around? Mouse control

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    136

    Any cheap four way buttons around? Mouse control

    I use an LCD touch screen for control in the front, but my kids want to use NetRemote on their LCD monitors (9.2 inch without touch screen) as well. I could put a track ball in the back, but they would fight for it. And it can't be between them because in the middle back seat the papillon resides (the mastiff's in the back of the Suburban, she didn't fit in the seat). So my idea was to use two four way joy stick buttons mounted near the arm rest on the door panel and two push buttons for left and right mouse buttons, sending signals via a hacked game controller to Girder, which is able to do everything that's needed. But were do I find a four way button that can be used for this?
    Tor - The MediaSUV

  2. #2
    FLAC TheLlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    All over the world
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    I use an LCD touch screen for control in the front, but my kids want to use NetRemote on their LCD monitors (9.2 inch without touch screen) as well. I could put a track ball in the back, but they would fight for it. And it can't be between them because in the middle back seat the papillon resides (the mastiff's in the back of the Suburban, she didn't fit in the seat). So my idea was to use two four way joy stick buttons mounted near the arm rest on the door panel and two push buttons for left and right mouse buttons, sending signals via a hacked game controller to Girder, which is able to do everything that's needed. But were do I find a four way button that can be used for this?
    Check these out: http://lgrws01.grayhill.com/web/TABp...elID=2&TabID=1

    I have a 4-way 60A. It also doubles (triples?) as a rotary encoder and push button. I have a circuit for converting the 0V,2.5V,5V signal into two 0V,5V signals that you can use. Check out Codename: LlamaBox to see it installed. Don't worry, your circuit will not be as complex as mine.

    If I only had the time to make a website to document all this stuff...

    EDIT: Apparently Grayhill now has a 60A with 4 positions and 4 discrete connectors. This will make your job even easier since each position will have its own contact. As opposed to one contact per axis.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    136
    Interesting setup you have! I see the 60 A you mention, with the separate connectors. I have sendt an inquiry to one of the Norwegian distributors, and we'll see what happens. Thanks a lot! In case that doesn't come through, do you know of any place that will sell to abroad in small volumes?
    Tor - The MediaSUV

  4. #4
    FLAC TheLlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    All over the world
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    Interesting setup you have! I see the 60 A you mention, with the separate connectors. I have sendt an inquiry to one of the Norwegian distributors, and we'll see what happens. Thanks a lot! In case that doesn't come through, do you know of any place that will sell to abroad in small volumes?
    Not too sure. You can buy Grayhill products from Newark and/or Mouser. I think I got it from Mouser. You may also be able to find other compatable joysticks online. I don't know if you searched for joysticks. By the way, the model without encoder should be MUCH cheaper.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    136
    Well, I got an answer from the Norwegian distributor, and they didn't sell it. But I saw at Newark that the price was 75 dollars! Are they really that expensive, or did I look at the wrong part? A joystick shouldn't have to be that expensive when they make them in the millions for many cheap appliances.

    Mouser had a lot of cool stuff, even a mini trackball! I may spring for that, if I can get them to send it to Norway. And this one looks interesting: http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...8-RKJXP1224002 but I'm kind of confused: Can I connect this to the ground of the hacked game controller and then just hook the signal cables to the other pins, or do I need some controller board or something for it? I'm not exactly good at electronics... And thanks for helping me out!
    Tor - The MediaSUV

  6. #6
    FLAC TheLlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    All over the world
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    Well, I got an answer from the Norwegian distributor, and they didn't sell it. But I saw at Newark that the price was 75 dollars! Are they really that expensive, or did I look at the wrong part? A joystick shouldn't have to be that expensive when they make them in the millions for many cheap appliances.

    Mouser had a lot of cool stuff, even a mini trackball! I may spring for that, if I can get them to send it to Norway. And this one looks interesting: http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...8-RKJXP1224002 but I'm kind of confused: Can I connect this to the ground of the hacked game controller and then just hook the signal cables to the other pins, or do I need some controller board or something for it? I'm not exactly good at electronics... And thanks for helping me out!
    It is expensive because of the optical encoder on the shaft. Get a quote for the one with no encoder. Also, you now know you are looking for a "Joystick". Grayhill's products are mostly industrial

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    136
    Getting that through any of the Norwegian distributors was not easy. But I think I have found a better solution! An USB touchpad that can be mounted on the back of the front seat. I think there's a rule against linkning to eBay here, but if you search for Touchpad Mouse USB Ergonomic on the Bay, you will see what I mean. Very cool, with right click, scroll and drag and drop. I have sendt an inquiry to check that three or four of these things can co-excist without problems, which I think they can.
    Tor - The MediaSUV

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    Mouser had a lot of cool stuff, even a mini trackball! I may spring for that, if I can get them to send it to Norway. And this one looks interesting: http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...8-RKJXP1224002
    I was looking at one of those Alps rotary encoders with multidirectional switch as well. The rotary encoder with joystick and center push looked pretty cool but the device is surface mount and the shaft is only 2.2mm in diameter so it needs a pretty tiny button/knob to stick on it. I've been experimenting with pcb's and I'm thinking I can mount it pretty well but I've been leary of buying one just to mess it up.

    My plan was to connect the 8 directions of the joystick to the correpsonding numbers on the keyboard (keypad side) and the center click would either be 5 or enter, not sure yet. Rotating the knob would be connected to the wheel from a mouse. Then I could use MWI or girder to program the thing and it would have lots of options.

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
    I was looking at one of those Alps rotary encoders with multidirectional switch as well. The rotary encoder with joystick and center push looked pretty cool but the device is surface mount and the shaft is only 2.2mm in diameter so it needs a pretty tiny button/knob to stick on it. I've been experimenting with pcb's and I'm thinking I can mount it pretty well but I've been leary of buying one just to mess it up.

    My plan was to connect the 8 directions of the joystick to the correpsonding numbers on the keyboard (keypad side) and the center click would either be 5 or enter, not sure yet. Rotating the knob would be connected to the wheel from a mouse. Then I could use MWI or girder to program the thing and it would have lots of options.
    I made a control knob with that encoder. I hacked appart a 10 button mouse and for the 8 directions, and then the mouse wheel for the rotary encoder.

    To get around the tiny joystick problem (it's also pretty short), I made an adapter out of a small aluminum rod. I drilled out a ~2.2mm hole and added a set screw to the side. I used a lathe and mill at my colleges machine shop

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    159
    dyne: So how does the encoder work on the alps multiswitch? I understand the 8 way, but I can't find much info on the rotary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
  2. Music control buttons do not show when in GPS mode
    By kindred in forum Media Engine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 09:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •