Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Idrive/joystick/mouse

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    369

    Idrive/joystick/mouse

    Hi,

    just messing around with the idea of the whole Idrive mouse thing. I've read a lot of the posts regarding this and most try to cover the ability to rotate/click a knob to control various features, basically building off of the Griffin powermate and shuttleexpress. What I want to do is what Tony did:
    MMI style rotary encoder install - details
    but with the added feature that the knob could be used like a joystick mouse.

    Here's a diagram of what I'm trying to do.


    basically it would be an Idrive knob attached to a ALPS which would be somehow attached to a joystick.

    the areas I'm still confused about are how I'm going to get a flexible coupling to attach the ALPS to the joystick. I want the motion of the knob to be all on one plane, ie, no tipping the knob forward.

    Here's how I thought I could handle the sliding around on one plane all the while supporting the knob when it is clicked down.



    I also don't know how I'm going to join the mouse buttons/rotary wheel with the movements of the joystick into one plug/USB. I was planning on using girder to detail all the button options after.

    Can anyone give me advice on this idea. Maybe I'm making it overly complicated? I just want the knob to be able to handle rotary inputs, down for button clicks and move around like a mouse.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate LiquidKernel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    495
    There is actually an ALPS rotary encoder with 8-way tilt. It's around $8 at Mouser.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    369
    hahahaha, that would make it a lot easier wouldn't it? Does it have button click as well? Would I dismantle a joystick to wire it up or a mouse?

    I'm totally confused by all the ALPS out there.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate LiquidKernel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    495
    Yep, it has push down. I am going to be using it for an iDrive interface. Need to find a good knob.

    I don't know about using a mouse or joystick. The tilt is basically buttons, it will click when you tilt it in any direction (up, down, left, right and in between those). I will try to code something up using an Atmel AVR.

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidKernel View Post
    Yep, it has push down. I am going to be using it for an iDrive interface. Need to find a good knob.
    I've found a few decent ones here and there that have a blank back (no hole) but only a dimple to mark center. Then you can drill whatever hole size you want and then stick a set screw in it as well. I haven't bought one of those, but I'm a little worried about the shaft only being 2.2mm in diameter.

    Have you bought one yet to see how it works? Also, in the wiring diagram, it looks like every time you move in one of the A-G directions it also engages the center click. Am I reading that wrong?

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
    I've found a few decent ones here and there that have a blank back (no hole) but only a dimple to mark center. Then you can drill whatever hole size you want and then stick a set screw in it as well. I haven't bought one of those, but I'm a little worried about the shaft only being 2.2mm in diameter.

    Have you bought one yet to see how it works? Also, in the wiring diagram, it looks like every time you move in one of the A-G directions it also engages the center click. Am I reading that wrong?
    I made a control knob from the alps encoder. To get around the 2.2mm diameter problem, I made an adapter in my college's machine shop. Also keep in mind that the joystick on the alps is very short.

    The way I read the schematics it looked like the center click was engaged everytime another direction was clicked. I didn't have enough buttons on the mouse I hacked up to wire up the center-push, so I never bothered with it.

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    325
    So you're using yours for 8 way joystick and rotary encoder? How is the feel of that little unit? I'm wondering if it will feel robust enough to stick in the car.

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
    So you're using yours for 8 way joystick and rotary encoder? How is the feel of that little unit? I'm wondering if it will feel robust enough to stick in the car.
    Yup, that's exactly what I'm usin it for. It does feel a little flimsy, but that's because I made my adapter a little too long so it puts more torque on the joystick.

    It doesnt feel like it's going to break or anything, though

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate Super_dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    107
    Can you post some Pic's and Diag also Material that you used and where to buy them
    Thanks

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_dave View Post
    Can you post some Pic's and Diag also Material that you used and where to buy them
    Thanks
    You can get the alps encoder from mouser, item #RKJXT1E12001. They sell a bunch of control knobs on there as well. I hacked apart this mouse to make my control knob: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826140010

    If I was going to do it again, I'd probably use a nostromo n52 game pad(the model with the free spinning wheel) instead of the mouse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •