Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Create an extra VGA port on a Dell Inspiron 1501

  1. #1
    Newbie yellow99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    52

    Create an extra VGA port on a Dell Inspiron 1501

    Hi Guys,

    I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop and i want to connect 2 external VGA monitors to in. The problem is that all laptops only have one VGA port to connect a monitor.

    I know there are solutions like a USB 2 VGA adapters but the problem is that these are very slow when you have a lot of movement on your screen.

    My question is:
    Is it posible to convert this connector to a VGA port?

    Picture one:


    Picture two:



    I hope i am explaining this right.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    752
    You are over complicating it. Check into vga splitters:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=vga+splitter
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

    PROGRESS:
    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

  3. #3
    Newbie yellow99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by pancit175 View Post
    You are over complicating it. Check into vga splitters:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=vga+splitter
    I have also looked into the VGA splitters but the problem is that i want to create a resolution of 800x1200 (two liliput 7" monitos stacked above each other).

    All the VGA splitters i looked at only support vertical setups...

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate BREWDOG52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    269
    One of many options that should work.
    http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner...ct_match=exact

    edit: I looked at your message again, and I guess I really don't understand what your trying to accomplish. 800x1200? maybe I don't understand right now because it's been a long day.
    why would you stack two monitors on top of each other that have the same image?

  5. #5
    Newbie yellow99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by BREWDOG52 View Post
    One of many options that should work.
    http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner...ct_match=exact

    edit: I looked at your message again, and I guess I really don't understand what your trying to accomplish. 800x1200? maybe I don't understand right now because it's been a long day.
    why would you stack two monitors on top of each other that have the same image?
    I dont want the same image on both monitors. (clone)

    I want to have a large desktop. I can do this with my desktop PC because it has a dual head video card:

    Like this


    Or like this:

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate BREWDOG52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    269
    thats your desktop, your laptop is not going to do dual display. splitter will only split the single output coming from your laptop, resulting in two monitors with duplicate image. the best way around this is to use a pc with a proper graphics card.

  7. #7
    Newbie yellow99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by BREWDOG52 View Post
    thats your desktop, your laptop is not going to do dual display. splitter will only split the single output coming from your laptop, resulting in two monitors with duplicate image. the best way around this is to use a pc with a proper graphics card.
    Yea i know that but that is not an option.

    I can create the same dual display setup on my laptop with the laptop screen itself and with an external monitor.

    But i want to have two monitors attached.
    Thats why i want to convert the laptop screen output cable (see pictures above) to a VGA port so i can attach another monitor

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate BREWDOG52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    269
    Oh...I think that is easier said than done. It's not just a matter of finding an adapter that will connect a monitor to your mobo. The signal going to your laptops lcd is pure digital, not analog like you lilliput. So if it is even possible to do this, I imagine you would need to find a controller card that will convert the digital signal to analog that will connect to your mobo, But I could be wrong here, I never tried or heard of anyone doing anything like this.

    If you really want this done, get an external graphics card(it's not like your going to be playing warcraft or call of duty in your car), this should be fine for a car environment.

    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gx...dh2go/home.php

    and since your willing to take your laptop apart, and disconnect it's lcd to connect a external monitor, why isn't using a pc an option? Sell your laptop and use that money to build a pc. -just asking.

  9. #9
    Newbie yellow99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    52
    The Matrox DualHead2Go supports only two resolutions
    - 2048 x 768
    - 2560 x 1024

    And they are both horizontal setups.


    There are a few reasons i want to use the laptop so bad:

    - I messed up the keyboard connector on the mainboard so its useless as a laptop only.

    - I like the idea that can put a laptop on standby and disconnect the laptop charger from the car battery. It will stay on standby on its own battery.

    - Also the laptop fits great in my car. I have a PC laying around in a small desktop but i cant get it to fit nicely in the car :-(

    I know there are other solutions to the reasons i am holding on to but i really don't want to spend a lot of money on this project. I guess i have to go for a USB VGA card if i want to make it work.

    i hope i will finish next saturday... ill post a picture of my setup then so you can see there isnt much space to put a PC.

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate BREWDOG52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow99 View Post
    The Matrox DualHead2Go supports only two resolutions
    - 2048 x 768
    - 2560 x 1024

    And they are both horizontal setups.


    There are a few reasons i want to use the laptop so bad:

    - I messed up the keyboard connector on the mainboard so its useless as a laptop only.

    - I like the idea that can put a laptop on standby and disconnect the laptop charger from the car battery. It will stay on standby on its own battery.

    - Also the laptop fits great in my car. I have a PC laying around in a small desktop but i cant get it to fit nicely in the car :-(

    I know there are other solutions to the reasons i am holding on to but i really don't want to spend a lot of money on this project. I guess i have to go for a USB VGA card if i want to make it work.

    i hope i will finish next saturday... ill post a picture of my setup then so you can see there isnt much space to put a PC.
    Tis is taken from matrox's website.

    Run your Windows desktop at up to 2560 x 1024 resolution in 16.7M colors at 60Hz stretched across two displays (1280 x 1024 per display).

    run each lilli at 800x600 (this is their native rsolution) or is it 800x480.. I don't have a lilliput. why would you need a resolution greater than 1280x1024 when the native res. is 800x600?

    I'm so confused now, maybe someone else can take over and provide you with better help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •