Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: to 12vdc or not to 12vdc a laptop,,??

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21

    to 12vdc or not to 12vdc a laptop,,??

    that is the question?
    >>
    have a hp omnibook, battery is cactus!!,
    will be mounting this as my dash computer, in my van,
    is more power used inverting 12v>240v>>12vdc , or is it the same amount used as 12vdc>>12vdc.
    because if more power is used, inverting,, i will get a 12vdc>12vdc adapter?
    and completely go whole car computer in 12vdc?
    thanks already
    fbear

  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Get a 12vdc car adapter.
    It's more efficient and less prone to inducing noise from EMI in your system.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    thanks darque will do.
    this is a great link on how to pull a lcd screen out of lap top,
    hope it is helpful for some.
    http://www.screentekinc.com/lcd-remo...n,compaq.shtml
    cheers
    fbear

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    262
    Here's a site that sells 12v power supplies for tons of laptops:
    http://www.epowersupply.us/models.php/13,Hp

    I ordered a couple, will report back when I've had a chance to try them.

    I'm running 12v --> inverter --> laptop power supply --> laptop right now and the inverter gets pretty hot after a while. I'm hoping that skipping the 120v stage will mean a lot less heat going into my carpc compartment.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21
    yes nsfw,, it is a little silly for the designers of all these devices to only need 12v, for them to design them all, to only run on 120v>240v?
    anyways, hope they slowly change all this?
    with ssd,s and all the new computers coming out, it wont be long before a computer, will be the size of a cig box, and only need milli amps to run??
    already the i.phones are nearly like this now?
    so hopefully by next year, we wont need even 12v, to run anything, will all be small battery?
    cheers
    fbear

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate kwchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore - Smallest country in Southeast Asia
    Posts
    121
    my EEE PC take in 12V DC, but i know that my car battery produce voltage from 11V to 14V

    Anyway simple way to regulate the voltage as I don't want to fry my EEE PC

  7. #7
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,286
    Quote Originally Posted by kwchan View Post
    my EEE PC take in 12V DC, but i know that my car battery produce voltage from 11V to 14V

    Anyway simple way to regulate the voltage as I don't want to fry my EEE PC
    With a 12V DC--DC Regulator,
    dear Liza, dear Liza....

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingbear View Post
    that is the question?
    >>
    have a hp omnibook, battery is cactus!!,
    will be mounting this as my dash computer, in my van,
    is more power used inverting 12v>240v>>12vdc , or is it the same amount used as 12vdc>>12vdc.
    because if more power is used, inverting,, i will get a 12vdc>12vdc adapter?
    and completely go whole car computer in 12vdc?
    thanks already
    fbear
    Only do this for laptops that run in the 10 to 15 volt range. I did this for my toshiba (uses 15 volts), however my new dell (20 volts) turns off when the sub thumps. If you can build your own dc upstepper (find an old PC PSU) do it. if your worried about voltage drops because of your sound system hook up a .5 farad capacitor in parallel with the laptop, this should keep the voltage spikes from harming your laptop.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingbear View Post
    yes nsfw,, it is a little silly for the designers of all these devices to only need 12v, for them to design them all, to only run on 120v>240v?
    anyways, hope they slowly change all this?
    with ssd,s and all the new computers coming out, it wont be long before a computer, will be the size of a cig box, and only need milli amps to run??
    already the i.phones are nearly like this now?
    so hopefully by next year, we wont need even 12v, to run anything, will all be small battery?
    cheers
    fbear
    One can only dream, however voltage is a measure of how much force is under the electrons, we are going to be at 12v for a while.
    the iPhone is 3.7v like ALL other cell phone's and PDA's.

  10. #10
    Newbie zeusenergy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefile View Post
    One can only dream, however voltage is a measure of how much force is under the electrons, we are going to be at 12v for a while.
    the iPhone is 3.7v like ALL other cell phone's and PDA's.
    FYI: some PDAs differ and run 5V. That's good for USB charging direct, with no adapting involved.
    2001 New Beetle Sport 1.8T, 14 PSI
    My Youtube Vids
    Active Member of vwvortex.com and newbeetle.org
    1st Carputer install in May, 1999

Similar Threads

  1. HOW TO:use opus with a laptop......
    By turbocad6 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 06:31 AM
  2. How can I use a laptop as a carpc?
    By turbocad6 in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 12:55 AM
  3. fix a broken dell laptop?
    By kuo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •