Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: has anyone hardwired a laptop to thier car? what i mean is..

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21

    has anyone hardwired a laptop to thier car? what i mean is..

    ...has anyone seperated the monitor of a laptop from the keyboard section and then just extended the monitor cables to the keyboard section mounted under thier seat/trunk/etc?

    hopefully you understand what im trying to describe. what i want to do is get an acer one netbook....apply the touchscreen kit....mold the monitor into my cars dashboard and mount the pc portion of the netbook under my passenger seat. Is that a possible option?

    does any company make cables that would extend a laptops monitor? is it possible to extend the touchscreen add on kit as well?

  2. #2
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dartmouth, MA
    Posts
    914
    The touch screen kit's wires should just be USB so that should be pretty easy to extend.
    The monitor on the other hand.... you may need to just solder wires together to make the cable longer. I would probably use some Cat 6 Ethernet cable to do it. There may be a longer cable you can purchase though so I'd wait for some more responses. I doubt it would be long enough for what you want to do though.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

    Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

    Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    346
    Have a look at my worklog (follow link in my signature bleow) for a similar setup to what you propose. I used a Xenarc 706TSA monitor that had a separate controller box that is mounted back with the laptop with a 5 metre interconnect cable to the dash.

    The Xenarc handles up to 24 volts, so based on advice from Xenearc tech support, I uesed the regulated 19 volts from my Opus to power my HP laptop and the monitor.

    I had to mount a USB hub under the dash to get my GPS receiver (under the windscreen wipers in front of the windscreen) to work as the 4.5 metre ccable was too long (even though it was within the USB spec).

    Do your homework on the monitor, mine went back for a warranty repair (faulty input box).
    RodW
    2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

    Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
    OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomBy View Post
    ...has anyone seperated the monitor of a laptop from the keyboard section and then just extended the monitor cables to the keyboard section mounted under thier seat/trunk/etc?

    hopefully you understand what im trying to describe. what i want to do is get an acer one netbook....apply the touchscreen kit....mold the monitor into my cars dashboard and mount the pc portion of the netbook under my passenger seat. Is that a possible option?

    does any company make cables that would extend a laptops monitor? is it possible to extend the touchscreen add on kit as well?
    If you mean to extend the Acer's monitor, it is a bit more difficult than you may think.

    Most laptop monitors use LVDS, not VGA. The chips that drive the monitor are designed specifically for the laptop itself. You can't simply open up the laptop and expect to see a VGA port on the bottom of the monitor. It will look more like a plastic ribbon cable.

    I have seen (quite a few years ago) a case where someone extended the LVDS but it requires soldering extension wires to the laptop and screen. There are concerns about how far the wires can be extended without interference.

    That said, it may be easier for you to buy a VGA monitor and plug it into the laptop's VGA port and extend it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21
    thanks for the replys. Im not really to concerned with having to make my own longer lvds. I dont think it will be too hard - just have to solder in some extra wires (if i understand that correctly)

    has anyone done that? i did some searching and it looks like there was a guy on here who confirmed that as long as you dont extend the back light there shouldnt be too much of a prolem, but his thread for his buildup no longer has working pictures

  6. #6
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    21
    no i did not see that thread, im checking it out now, thanks

  8. #8
    Super Moderator. If my typing sucks it's probably because I'm driving.... turbocad6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,234
    I've done what your proposing several times including my latest install, but I keep the laptop or tablet motherboard also in the dash or in the immediate vicinity of the screen... the netbook is small, why can't you just install it behind the screen? so much easier. extending lvds is very tricky & very susceptible to interference, only do it if you have to & keep it to a minimum, also, some laptops are much easier to extend than others, many modern ribbon cables are almost impossible to extend... if it is extendable cat5 is a good cable to use in twisted pairs for each lvds channel... again, extending sucessfully is very tricky...

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate sargeants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    232
    I've extended my video cable for my tablet PC that I'm using in my car.
    it's functioning fine, just a damn lot of wires to extend.... that's the task and a half.
    cat5 cable works wonders, just a bit larger gauge wire than what was originally used.

    I'm re-fabbing things, but has been working flawlessly as a touchscreen in the car for about 2 weeks now... can't say the same about my skinning and temp power solution
    03 Hyundai Elantra GT {Worklog}
    HP TC4400; 250GB SATA, WiFi, BT, 12.1" touch
    RideRunner; w/ mobilephone.net, OBDMPG, mediaart, RRMedia, DFXVoice and more...
    cmdRR tall skin creator

    86 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m6
    possible carpc install

  10. #10
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally Posted by sargeants View Post
    I've extended my video cable for my tablet PC that I'm using in my car.
    it's functioning fine, just a damn lot of wires to extend.... that's the task and a half.
    cat5 cable works wonders, just a bit larger gauge wire than what was originally used.

    I'm re-fabbing things, but has been working flawlessly as a touchscreen in the car for about 2 weeks now... can't say the same about my skinning and temp power solution
    I know I've been out of the loop lately, but I thought the TC4400 had an electromagnetic pen to the Tablet XP standard, i.e., "pen-enabled" not a touchscreen. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!! Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. question about car adapter & laptop w/ docking station
    By bagwellfive in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 08:45 PM
  2. How can I use a laptop as a carpc?
    By turbocad6 in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 12:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •